Like a News Thread 8: Infinite Welp

Continuing the discussion from News & Gossip VII: For Blood and Headlines - #2054 by iguferon.

Previous discussions:

The Frenchman said why do you think we hate Americans? And I told him, “probably because of our arrogance, the way we’ve twisted the world to make ourselves the fulcrum that everything pivots on, our insistence on remaining ignorant of a world that we clumsily shove around however it may suit our mood,” I paused for a moment and asked, “so why do you actually hate us?”

He shook his head and sighed, “too many words.”

news fukubukuro 8: too many news

16 Likes

I enjoyed catching up on the last few posts of the older thread

I thought “i am mother” was okay. becomes less interesting as it progresses and becomes more like a Big Movie but i don’t regret watching it

2 Likes

Like a News Thread 8: Infinite Welp

22 Likes

Nailed it

2 Likes

Americans are loud. They also do a lot of things but all of them are thoughtless.

i refuse to judge a polity by its most vociferous components but it is always tempting

2 Likes

a Californian said ‘mommy milkers’ out loud at the pub table the other week. what an experience

20 Likes

Something something sticky this and unsticky the old one blah blah.

Big rumors abound that Microsoft is going to announce soon that they’re going the way of Sega and getting out of the hardware game and are going to just be another third party publisher and the only response I can muster is… ok cool I guess.

The only real downside I can see is maybe Sony gets real arrogant and stupid again and decides they can charge $1000 for a PS6 or something.

5 Likes

When was the last time there were only two consoles in the console wars?

Probably just at the very beginning where there was the Magnavox Odyssey and whatever came out in response to that. So, the Odyssey/Atari 2600 gen?

1 Like

as far as I understand it, game pass is a huge success, I think it’s more likely that Xbox as an exclusive platform ceases to exist in favor of them just making various boxes that act more like generic game pass-first machines

like they’ll make consoles that are only as much of a platform as steam decks

8 Likes

I mean technically right now there is the Series consoles and the PS5 because Nintendo hasn’t announced their new thing yet.

And the 2600 came out well after the Odyssey. Seems like there was always at least three or four boxes to choose from at any given point.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t think they’ll get rid of game pass though there are rumors that they aren’t expanding the user base fast enough to cover the total expense of it, if their leaked financials from the FTC case are being interpreted correctly. We’ll probably see them announce game pass coming to other consoles soon if that’s the case.

1 Like

This is all my fault. I’ve constantly been saying this generation was Microsoft’s to lose, and I’ve been shown up every step of the way. Even now, I’ll say they can try rebuilding a fan base in PlayStation and then try to lock the games back up on a new future console. So when that doesn’t happen, you know who to blame.

I feel like that xbox’s biggest problem continues to be that despite going on a huge spending spree at the beginning of the Gen and buying a bunch of devs, they gave the developers all the time that wanted to make a good game and ultimately it’s never got some true system sellers that actually pull new people onto the platform. And the few AAA games that did come out, like Gears and Halo, fell flat. So maybe there is some more general development issues among its studios other than just taking too long.

Bethesda and Activision can instantly give Xbox the ongoing game pipeline it’s never been able to get off the ground, but I can see MS looking at the numbers and wondering how they’re going to make up for all the lost money from pulling games off PlayStation when it’s taking so long to build an Xbox player base of a necessary size. And the once you are okay with making PlayStation money from them, I can see that opening the question of why not making PlayStation money for games from Xbox Game Studios too.

I wouldn’t be surprised if this is all still in flux behind the scenes though. Would be funny if this all gets scaled way back from what the rumors have been by the time it actually gets announced.

Now I say all that, but now I’ll say this is all karma for how awful the Game pass PC app still is to this day.

8 Likes

it would be very Big Corporation of them to fight every court in the western world for a year and a half for the right to spend 70 billion on actiblizzard to prop up the xbox only to decide actually, fuck it, whatever immediately after dropping the cash.

18 Likes

Wonder if Microsoft has a Head Of Game Sales in a bitter petty feudal war with the Head Of Xbox and Head Of Gamepass

8 Likes