Mighty News Thread Number 9: No Silksong in Mudville

Continuing the discussion from Like a News Thread 8: Infinite Welp - #2044 by LaurelSoup.

Previous discussions:

Mighty News Number 9

10 Likes

news thread: enter the nonagon

1 Like

Ninety Nine News 2

4 Likes

999: Nine News, Nine Threads, Nine Butts

7 Likes

Last I seen anything from the Silksong devs was around the time when Unity decided it needed to basically implode. Seemed like maybe they were gonna look into migrating the entire project to different engine.

That said, it wouldn’t be the first game to get teased then go radio silent for years only to show up done later.

Also wouldn’t be the first to be a case of “Bit off more than we can chew, whoops, someone key died, and the project is just kinda limping along a shell of its former-,” ah shit, it’s gonna be the real life analogue to Hollownest.

3 Likes

silksong represents way way too much money to just disappear

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t really think that’s true at all, tbh.

I can’t find anything on them more current than than some retweets of Hollow Knight merch from June '23.

Not seeing much in the way of outside backers.

Some 3rd party chatter about how Kickstarter backers are going to get Silksong free.

But right now, it sure looks a whole lot like it’s in stasis, or maybe the dev(s?) are just heads down and the game is stuck in a coccoon. Could be Covid fallout’s got them all on a once-a-week work schedule.

Could be this or that, but it’s all gonna be speculation until something happens. Again, it wouldn’t be the first game to look abandoned only for the devs to suddenly pop up from nowhere and be like “Hey, so it’s finished and kinda awesome.”

It basically has no need for advertising because of how rabid everyone is for it. I think the devs have likely cut any sort of PR budget until they’re finished and will probably shadowdrop it when its done.

4 Likes

thought this was a thread about mighty no 9 and the 3ds port finally came out

10 Likes

think nedge is pointing out the frothing demand, & how Team Cherry would be leaving money on the table if Silksong vanishes. not the financial obligations of releasing it

1 Like

yeah I think not releasing that game is sacrificing, like, lifetime financial security for the devs

3 Likes

episodic games with years inbetween episodes are the ideal release schedule

let me feel like a lone lighthouse keeper waiting for the emptiness of an ending

cataloguing references to the borealis, actually calling ‘here and there along the echo’ and handing my phone to someone at the bar, writing a van buren tabletop campaign for no one

whatcha thinking about?

oh, nothing

10 Likes

Team Cherry is small enough and HK sold enough that I think they could spend another 5-10 years working on the game with no issues.

4 Likes

that is probably true, I just mean I can’t see a reality where the game is quietly killed or anything, the incentives to release are simply too high.

2 Likes

maybe it’ll come out with mandatory button mashing QTEs that suck shit after 14 years! hope springs eternal!

4 Likes

"Hi, this is [Team Cherry] and we know you’ve been eagerly awaiting news on our upcoming game, and the sequel to the hit game Hollowknight, Hollowknight: Silksong.

Well, we have some exciting news for you because, today, we’re proud to announce we’ve partnered with Quantic Dream and the legendary David Cage to bring an unprecedented level of character interaction to our game."

11 Likes

yeah they’re at the point where pulling a BeyoncĂ© and surprise dropping is probably a better move for them then doing any further announcements that engender further speculation or fan backlash.

Hollow Knight fans are weirdly kind of nuts in ways i will probably never understand and you don’t want to play with fire around that too much. also because of that you would absolutely not want to release a game too early.

i will feel a little bad for whoever happens to be releasing a game in the same few day window tho.

8 Likes

Hollow Knight isn’t even that good

13 Likes