Mighty News Thread Number 9: No Silksong in Mudville

Yes it is, except for the boss fights being too hard.

4 Likes

I think I havenā€™t fully internalized how big the audience for soulslikes is these days tbh

every time I wind up on like the elden ring reddit for something Iā€™m usually surprised at how a) huge and b) smart that community is. it really has grown exponentially and defined tastes

1 Like

soulslikes seem fully like a normie videogame player thing to like now. they might as well be star wars or harry potter fans at this point.

3 Likes

I know, it just makes me happy every time when I realize that something so funny and demanding and oblique has such a massive audience, like I refuse to internalize it so itā€™s always a nice surprise

8 Likes

i canā€™t get over how the most memorable bit of music in the Hollow Knight is a naked cover of part of gwynā€™s theme that plays in the hub town

3 Likes

hey, the actual entries in the souls franchise arenā€™t awful like those yet. itā€™s inevitable though! elden ring is already showing some worrying tendencies

1 Like

the imperial march contains probably the greatest key change in western music though

3 Likes

one bungie firing thatā€™s good

1 Like

Itā€™s very smartly made in most respects. Itā€™s just far too thin for itā€™s frame and held together by a bit too much gristle.

Part of me thinks that Silksong is a victim of HKā€™s success. HK created some unreasonably bloated expectations of scope and difficulty for all the metrovania fans it created, so now theyā€™re faced with the impossible task of topping that while also somehow making a good game too. A more reasonably scoped Silksong would have been out years ago by this point, but thatā€™s not what their fanbase thinks they want.

8 Likes

I never played Hollow Knight but I hope Silksong has scope creeped into something weird like a 3D action game or something else that will make people confused.

Elden Ring sold 20 million copies in a year. I donā€™t know if itā€™s a normie game in the same way that Madden or GTA or COD are, but itā€™s a normie enough game at this point.

thereā€™s a difference between a normie game and a game normies like

14 Likes

I played a good bit of hollow knight on my switch and got conceivably halfway through (I at least had crystal dash and double jump iirc) but put it down for a week or so. I return and canā€™t remember where I last saw a lock for a key/ability I had and didnā€™t get a map for the areas I was going in circles in and couldnā€™t find the map guy and his wife wasnā€™t offering any maps and I didnā€™t want to look up a guide so this kept repeating once a month or so until I told myself Iā€™ll just start clean on PC whenever I feel like I can plow through it in a few sittings.

4 Likes

yeah

20 Likes

One good thing about Hollow Knight is its soundtrack.

5 Likes

all my zoomer coworkers are all about bloodborne and elden ring im like haha hey 20 somethings have you heard of ā€œmaiden in blackā€™s bare feetā€, have you heard of ā€œdemonā€™s soulsā€?

14 Likes

never played Hollow Knight but Chris was kind enough to gave me a lift home from a new years party once, well out of his way and we were only acquaintances, so Iā€™m always pleased to see people praise his music

9 Likes

iā€™ve said it before but Hollow Knight, Celeste, and Undertale are all things that i think are Fine and maybe even Good from what iā€™ve experienced of them (well i donā€™t love Celeste) but the way theyā€™ve basically completely crowded out any other indie games in the consciousness of people of a certain age and define their whole universe will never not baffle me. i would be a ā€œjust let the kids like what theyā€™re going to likeā€ but i think a lot of those opinions are heavily shaped by youtube video essayists and like, exponentially growing and self-reinforcing fandoms that become more and more annoying over time. but i think the whole poptimism era around certain kinds of stuff probably has a sell-by date anyway. i just felt a little better about it when ā€œindie gamesā€ werenā€™t so dominated by like, a handful of different fandoms.

10 Likes

ā€œdemonā€™s solesā€

sorry

18 Likes

All these people going feral waiting for Silksong should just chill out and play Nine Sols, which is five times as good a soulslike 2D search action game as Hollow Knight was. And I liked Hollow Knight a lot!

16 Likes

Somehow I feel like pining for Nine Sols on switch is about the same for me as pining for Silksong

1 Like