La vie en vert (GAME BOY thread)

The GAME BOY is a cheap, condensed brick of metal and plastic. The GAME BOY is green. The GAME BOY is an object of love. I am still playing the GAME BOY. You should play the GAME BOY too.

In December, I’m inviting the forum to take a peek at any 1989 releases of their choosing. Some users are already participating! I’ll sporadically update this list to include links to users’ posts. Even you can be linked!

Game title Developer First release
Super Mario Land Nintendo April 21, 1989
Alleyway Intelligent Systems April 21, 1989
Yakuman Intelligent Systems April 21, 1989
Baseball Intelligent Systems April 21, 1989
Tennis Nintendo May 29, 1989
Tetris Nintendo June 14, 1989
Shanghai (2) HAL Laboratory July 28, 1989
Boxxle Atelier Double September 1, 1989
The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle Kotobuki Systems September 5, 1989
Motocross Maniacs Konami September 20, 1989
Hyper Lode Runner: The Labyrinth of Doom TOSE September 21, 1989
Pinball: Revenge of the 'Gator HAL Laboratory October 18, 1989
Castlevania: The Adventure Konami October 27, 1989
Malibu Beach Volleyball TOSE October 31, 1989
Kwirk Atlus November 24, 1989
Golf Nintendo November 28, 1989
Pachinko Time Marionette December 8, 1989
The Final Fantasy Legend Square December 15, 1989
Shogi Pony Canyon December 19, 1989
QBillion SETA Corporation December 22, 1989
Fist of the North Star: 10 Big Brawls for the King of Universe Shouei System December 22, 1989
Battleship Pack-In-Video December 22, 1989
Boomer’s Adventure in ASMIK World Dual December 27, 1989
The Sword of Hope Kemco December 28, 1989
Master Karateka TOSE December 28, 1989

Please post cherished GAME BOY memories.

My original diary entry about 1990 games.

Previously, I said I had sampled all of the games released in 1990. Now I’m going back and chewing on what I thought was interesting. It’s cool that this first year doesn’t really have incredible Nintendo-developed releases. Konami and Capcom ported some ideas over, but a lot of smaller developers produced interesting work and that gives the console a different character than other Nintendo machines.

Mercenary Force, if you can believe it, is a Bokosuka Wars-like. That means it’s part shooting game and part strategy. It involves shuffling a group of buddies into formation so that they don’t get hurt but still collect as much gold as possible. I especially liked sacrificing my buddies to make these monstrous, orb-spitting sprites. It’s usually not worth it strategically, but I don’t care.

Cosmo Tank is pretty good. The way it shifts perspective between fields, mazes, and space makes it feel like an enormous game. Combat in the 3D maze is weird because it feels like I am a turret swinging around in circles, but if I swing out of the way from oncoming bullets, they won’t hit me. Object permanence is not part of this world’s physical reality.

F-1 Race
This is the other standout Nintendo title from the year next to Dr. Mario. It feels pretty great. I have all the information I need on the screen: a map of the track with icons for me and the lead, a speedometer, and a turbo fuel gauge. I wish winning races were a little easier. It took me a half hour of trying to win the third course. Hitting a billboard once is enough to cost me the entire race, but victory feels so sweet.

21 Likes

you playing in retroarch? do they have an option for frame blending so games with alternating-field flicker look right? they’ve got to, right?

I spent a lot of time playing, but never got very far in, Boomer’s Adventure in ASMIK World.

How did I even wind up with that game? I can’t imagine I ever would have asked for that by name. Maybe I was allured by the box art in Toys R Us one day, and my mother or father was feeling particularly generous?

1 Like

I think so. I mean, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen effects on uploaded videos and whatnot of what I assume to be frame blending. I don’t know what alternating-field flicker is, but it sounds pretty cool.

I just thought of something that people might enjoy. What if…people played along with me? I don’t mean in a serious, compulsory way. I mean for each month, we could play, talk about, and consider games that came out around the same time. For instance, December would be when people could dabble in GAME BOY games from 1989 and share their thoughts. There would be around 20-50 games each month we could choose from. The games are pretty good for chewing on for just a few minutes, so it wouldn’t be a big investment. Having multiple people investigate releases would be neat because they would each dig into things that interest them. It’s our BOY and we all have a responsibility in raising it.

6 Likes

The title is very alluring. Who is Boomer? What does ASMIK mean? What kind of world does it describe?

1 Like

I’m into it

Hell yeah

I’ll help raise our BOY.

I still fire up Harvest Moon GB sometimes just for the nostalgia. Perfect game for insomnia.

1 Like

I literally fell asleep playing the GAME BOY last night. It’s great for this.

4 Likes

two good examples are Wave Race (GB) and Chikyuu Kaihou Gun ZAS. they flash something (the minimap and the background, respectively) on and off at 60Hz (similar to damage flickering) to fake transparency, since the GB had a smeary, slow decay screen

1 Like

That’s really neat! ZAS looks good as hell.

For all who want to join me in looking after the BOY, I’ve grabbed a list of all 1989 releases. I’m turning back my clock and limiting myself to these carts for December. I think this will be the smallest crop, but it’s unusually strong for a release year.

Looking ahead, I think a pace of six months of releases per month will work best.
I haven’t looked into emulating 2 player modes online, but I’d love to figure something out for Penguin Wars.

Super Mario Land Nintendo April 21, 1989
Alleyway Intelligent Systems April 21, 1989
Yakuman Intelligent Systems April 21, 1989
Baseball Intelligent Systems April 21, 1989
Tennis Nintendo May 29, 1989
Tetris Nintendo June 14, 1989
Shanghai HAL Laboratory July 28, 1989
Boxxle Atelier Double September 1, 1989
The Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle Kotobuki Systems September 5, 1989
Motocross Maniacs Konami September 20, 1989
Hyper Lode Runner: The Labyrinth of Doom TOSE September 21, 1989
Pinball: Revenge of the 'Gator HAL Laboratory October 18, 1989
Castlevania: The Adventure Konami October 27, 1989
Malibu Beach Volleyball TOSE October 31, 1989
Kwirk Atlus November 24, 1989
Golf Nintendo November 28, 1989
Pachinko Time Marionette December 8, 1989
The Final Fantasy Legend Square December 15, 1989
Shogi Pony Canyon December 19, 1989
QBillion SETA Corporation December 22, 1989
Fist of the North Star: 10 Big Brawls for the King of Universe Shouei System December 22, 1989
Battleship Pack-In-Video December 22, 1989
Boomer’s Adventure in ASMIK World Dual December 27, 1989
The Sword of Hope Kemco December 28, 1989
Master Karateka TOSE December 28, 1989
3 Likes

I played Castlevania: The Adventure last month, so it’s like I was participating before anyone else was >_>

4 Likes

that Shanghai port is pretty impressive and has great music iirc

(nearly all of the console and handheld ports of Shanghai have great music)

5 Likes

I think HAL had the most control over the GAME BOY out of all who worked with it. Whenever I see Shanghai, I think of my aunt who owned a copy for their family’s Genesis. She was also a big fan of Mean Bean Machine.

5 Likes

Charging my woodboy So I can play sword of hope later

1 Like

I would love to see more of Sword of Hope beyond a single battle.

this game whips ass, this game fucking rules, i love this game already, will post a bunch of screenshots later

2 Likes

i giffed shanghai’s title screen and “ending” a while ago
shanghai1
shanghai2

it was on the pirate cart i had as a kid. there’s actually a few games from that cart that i still regularly play

9 Likes