La vie en vert (GAME BOY thread)

Astro Rabby makes a great first impression with its unique perspective. It’s scrolling platformer that I look at from a bird’s eye view. Like in Jumping Flash, I play as a robot rabbit.

I jump around on these pillars to find the exit to the stage. Some pillars add extra time while other just give me points. After the first stage, I get bullets and a gun. I can shoot the flora and fauna of these planets to jump higher and run faster. After every two stages, there’s a bonus stage where I have to jump on matching platforms just by listening to their tones. It’s so close to being good enough.

Unfortunately, it doesn’t really develop its mechanics through level design. Each stage is more or less the same. Sometimes there are more enemies, sometimes more holes, maybe more platforms to test for an exit, but nothing that’s really challenging to think about. There’s an enemy that comes up again and again that looks like a twister. To my horror, I could not jump over it. Touching it, I’m immediately pulled down to death. I…don’t want to die.

I love this little Dortoise Troop head and the respectful decision to write a letter to the person he just robbed.

Find yourself someone who looks at you the way the doctor looks at Astro Rabby.

10 Likes