Should we go exploring again?

I’m getting that urge again, the urge to dabble, to snack on bits of ephemera. I’m thinking the only way of pushing this fixation aside is to indulge it, like you would with hunger or thirst.

My first time trying to do this, I made a thread where I polled and then wrote about my experiences with PS2 games: The Ultimate Just Got Better: Minty on PS2. For anyone curious, I actually did play through Skygunner. The controls were not too difficult. It’s pretty good! The reason I stopped was that I suddenly became far too busy to be doing anything like that. Then I moved to a small apartment where it’s more difficult to fit a small CRT.

The second time trying this idea, I started a communal thread for the GAME BOY: La vie en vert (GAME BOY thread) We made it to 1998! That’s pretty much the end of the original GAME BOY. Sure, I was hoping that we would keep going into the GAME BOY color but I once again became too busy to maintain lists with links and update with my own posts.

Now I want to do something like this again. I want a thread that’s a lot like the GAME BOY thread because so many people came into it and shared beautiful screenshots, good stories, and weird obscurities. I want to ask others, should we do anything differently? One idea I have would be to award superlatives to games for each year because then we can get into pointless arguments that everyone loves. I was watching La Mas Draga and they had competitions for “The most toy,” “The most del Toro,” and “the most hawthorn.” I think we could take inspiration from that.

Anyways, if we did this again, which console would you most likely participate in? I’m deliberately limiting the choices to consoles that are easy to emulate

• Genesis
  • PC Engine + CD
  • Playstation
  • Playstation 2
  • SNES
  • NES
  • Saturn
  • Game Boy Advance
  • MS-DOS
  • Microsoft DirectX (PC games after 1995)

0 voters

10 Likes

Voting playstation 2 because one of my new year’s resolutions is to get into emulation, specifically to catch up on the PS2 catalogue stuff I missed. I grew up with PS2 as well and think it’s the best game machine so I’m coming at this from a completely impartial standpoint.

5 Likes

voted pc engine, but any result has potential!

6 Likes

I’ve been wanting to play ps2 games this year so I picked that

I’m dabbling though so whatever the thread I’ll pick at least one game and play it no matter what

5 Likes

voted mega drive because that is a timeless library imo

5 Likes

I voted for DOS and PC post-95 because I remember how mad @Father.Torque got about the lack of PC representation in the SB64 polls and I think we can make him angrier by playing the games and having all the wrong opinions.

10 Likes

I didn’t vote for it, but MS-DOS would be an interesting one.

Edit: I didn’t realize you could vote for two, so now I have voted for MS-DOS.

5 Likes

Hell yeah make me furious daddy

3 Likes

The Father calling me “daddy,” I guess that makes me some sort of Granpappy.

10 Likes

5 Likes

Did you mean “make me furious, daddy” or “make me ‘furious daddy’”?

6 Likes

12 Likes

The first time I’ve ever even been tempted to change my usertitle

4 Likes

I’m going to close the poll on Friday, so whatever is on top is what we’ll go with. Right now, the PC Engine has a slight lead. PS2, DOS, and Saturn are close behind. I believe it is possible to change your vote if you want to swing things in a particular direction.

3 Likes

Tomorrow morning, I’m closing the poll! It looks like we’ll have a clear winner. I made a sheet to collect ideas for awards. Whatever console we decide on, these awards will fit. You can click on the link and add however many you want! At the end of each month, I’ll use an RNG to pick out five awards for us to give. These awards are super important and will shape the minds of generations to come, so please take them very seriously.

3 Likes

After a full week, we have a tie!

I’m opening a tiebreaker poll for 24 hours. Vote fast!

• Sega Saturn
  • PC Engine + CD

0 voters

4 Likes

was all prepared to find out whatever the hell Willy Wombat is but

PC REVENGIN’

ready to educate myself about this one more, is it gonna go by year like the Game Boy one?

1 Like

I think that makes the most sense to space things out and make the library digestible. Other ideas I had were to pick certain developers or certain genres each month. I think the developer idea would take too much planning and the genre idea might be too selective.

2 Likes

you still can

there must be a nice easy way to emulate pce-cd games without having to mount disc images and all that shit in this day and age, right?

3 Likes

Mesen 2 came out pretty recently and apparently supports PC Engine games, for those who are interested.

2 Likes