Games You Played Today The Nonbiri Express '09 (Galaxie ((500×2)−1)) 9小時9人9ゲーム LOOK I MADE IT LONGER: The Power of One

Continuing the discussion from Games You Played Today VIII: Journey of the Cursed Poster - #2009.

Previous discussions:

Games You Played today: 9 hours 9 posters 9 games

12 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: bleeding edge (2013)

A post was merged into an existing topic: bleeding edge (2013)

Three free Sonic game demos on PS3:

a
Sonic the Hedgehog CD Trial

d
f

Sonic CD is the version remade in a new engine by Christian Whitehead–who went on to make Sonic Mania–that was delisted from Steam when Sega put it in the new Sonic Origins collection–but it’s still available on the PS3 store ($4.99).

g

~ ~

i
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I Trial Version

j

All three of these Trials run in 1080p. CD reverts to a blurry filter each time it starts, which is sort of annoying–you gotta go switch it to the no-filter “Nostalgia” setting in the options menu if you want less blur (but it’s still SLIGHTLY blurry even after that, hrm).

k
Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II

They’re all over very quickly! 4 II just ends in mid-level, mid-jump. ; D

Thought I was gonna be busting on Sonic 4 but…I kinda ended up enjoying the trial versions. = oo … And yes I went and bought the Steam versions afterwards. [_[ They require Java! ; DDD

l

And I may have compulsed on eBay for the three GBA Sonic games the Sonic 4 developer, Dimps, made. ]_]]]

~ ~ ~

~ ~

~

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown (PS3)

Always nice when the CPU knocks you out of the ring but then touches down outside the ring themselves before you land ^ D^

m
n

4 Likes

you should also seek out the 3 ds (not 3ds) sonic games they made

3 Likes

Ooh dang, I saw they made some of those. Don’t have a DS or a way to dump 'em currently, I’m just gonna go skim 'em on YouTube for now ^ _^

2 Likes

decided it was time to play Gorogoa after recently playing thru Superliminal so i could get my prestige puzzle game streak going.

i honestly don’t have much to say about it? the main gimmick basically just involves sorting through and zooming in on different picture tableaus in four separate slots and trying to fit the various puzzle pieces of the implied narrative the pictures make together. it is a bit slight - possibly because it feels pretty elegantly designed to get people at a variety of different ages/skill levels through the game. but also the world you’re interacting with does feels way more established visually than other interactive games of the type. it doesn’t feel one dimensional and gimmicky in a “look what i can do” way as much as it just feels like you’re further unraveling this world. maybe i guess someone could make the argument that the setting is slightly orientalist? if only because it’s a bit generic/maybe slightly cliche. there are times where i wish i could be more invested in it, tho. but it’s not really a big deal.

in a lot of ways it reminds me of a lot of interactive CD-ROM games of the 90’s - much more so than other puzzle games of this type published by Annapurna. in the way there’s this sort of new agey optimism and emphasis on being immersed in specific world/a specific culture through simple interactions. the dev used to live close to me in Berkeley back in the day and i used to see him at various meetups and he was a nice (if very shy) guy and was taking care of his sick mom. so definitely not an indie trust fund kid or anything like that. but yeah - a very pleasant experience overall!

also i found my favorite Steam review for this game that i’m going to quote out of context from now on:

selfcongratulatory

played Rise of the Triad: Ludicrous Edition - just the new episodes (i.e. “The Hunt Continues”) because my friend Matt Tropiano contributed a few levels.

Rise of the Triad really is the definition of a cult game to me. it feels extremely stitched together and hacky but somehow works anyway. the jump pads and the moving platforms really do make it feel different from Doom or really any other FPS of the time. i also like what it does with the projectile weapons - that there’s a variety of weapons but you only get to carry one at a time. again - pretty unique for the time. also having the Pac-Man style collectables to gain extra lives (effectively meaningless if you’re saving the game at all) is still fun.

the new levels/new engine this game uses have some really nice lighting effects. in addition to how much it uses verticality with the jump pads it’s a lot of fun. even as someone who only played a handful of levels back in the day and was kind of so-so about it back then - there’s a reason why this game sticks out in the midst of a lot of other FPS games of its era now. even in spite of all the silly imbalanced things, it’s a lot of fun and doesn’t take itself seriously. also i stan Tom Hall ofc.

but yeah - the new levels do what they need to do and feel like they take the game a lot further than the registered version - they’re dynamic, varied and creative. it’s basically a new retro FPS (i’m not going to say the other genre name) game in itself, and honestly one of the better ones. it helps that i played on “Normal” difficulty - i was not about to play on the harder difficulties, knowing how bad it can get. some of these enemies (esp the Enforcer aka the “here, catch” guy) are brutal bullet sponges.

it was surprisingly hard to find screenshots of the new levels in this edition so here’s a screenshot from a youtube playthrough:

also the dynamic lighting in this new engine is really nice, makes the cave levels especially nice looking

played some of Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap also - not finished with it. i do really like that you can switch dynamically between the updated visuals and the original game, as well as the chiptune and updated soundtracks. i found myself doing it a lot just because you can, and also because it often varied which one i liked better.

also this game has a design sensibility that i can only describe as being genuinely interested in creating a feeling of mystery. Hubol’s recent “IguaRPG” game feels very similar - i assume it was inspired by the Monster World games. all the little abilities feel interesting, and there’s a genuine interest in using them to unlock secrets or little parts of the world you haven’t seen - it definitely feels totally distinct from a Metroidvania progression because of the format being more typical side-scroller on a moment to moment basis. anyway - not finished with the game, but it’s definitely another example for the “game design is not necessarily getting better over time” conversation.

22 Likes

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: daphnys radioactive ukranian inclusion zone

Both Dragon’s Trap and MWIV have such unusual solutions to progression that they really come from a much older stock of “Fuck you we don’t care if you win” but cut down to like 1/3rd. It isn’t malicious but ambivalent if you can figure out the one place you need to go.

I remember there is something quite strange you have to do with the mouse and in 4 you have to go to the garden in the castle and float over a wall which by all design language says “ignore this.”

Real balancing act for Modern Game Makers to uh…have some aggression against the player because it is (eventually) fun and well 10,000 comments and forum posts warning you this is bullshit and they should learn Game Design.

10 Likes

After a busy holiday/post-holiday period I finally had the chance to try a random PC game from my backlog again and… do you ever have the experience where you can’t tell if something is surprisingly great or you are just the right person to enjoy an otherwise flawed thing? The game was Multilytheus (which I’ve been trying to pronounce in my head unsuccessfully for the past few hours) and it left me asking this very question.

Quick word of warning: I’d give the game the most severe photosensitivity warning possible. I love some of the eventually severe aesthetic flashing choices it makes but there can be a lot of it going on at once, like avoid even the trailer if this is a potential problem for you.

Multilytheus is a decade’s old first person puzzler where you basically wake up in a bed and with no explanation figure out that you gotta get yourself out of this place. To give away the initial revelation and the mechanical basis for much of the game you will come across a pillar in a glass case you can either cause to rise or fall with a press of either mouse button, which causes things in the environment to rise or fall as well. That’s actually most of what you have to do, in that way it is rather simple.

What makes it work for me is the sense of place, albeit not in the typical way one uses said term. It never feels like a real place, it is very clearly a video game locale designed for you to figure out and make one’s way through. That said while it is not a metrovania (you gain no abilities and there really isn’t any locks and keys) it has a similar thing in having a single location interconnected in various ways that you have to figure out in order to progress through it and this is what clicked for me. It is not a large space but you will be making your way through it several times and while one could complain of backtracking a) again it is fairly small, and b) you really begin to learn a lot about how this space is laid out and in fact the game demands this of you.

Despite only taking me 90 minutes this can be a very hard game, with you having to often figure out exactly how to get various sets of pillars oriented, which means figuring out how to get to the control panel for pillar type A with pillar type B down as you generally needed it up to reach said control panel. Once you figure this out you generally figure out a different way of traversing through this environment (again you gain no abilities, all you can do is jump and interact with these controls) and are presented with a different ask, which requires you to figure out what it wants, how to do it, and so forth. You will need to learn this place throughout and how it can be placed together in 3d space, at one point I had significant Tomb Raider 1 vibes in this respect and coming from me that is solid praise.

On top of this the presentation while very low budget in 2013 ways with only a few people working on it has something going for it. There are bright colors and patterns everywhere, often for functional reasons but also giving it a rather distinct look. The audio is well considered with certain actions being paired with well chosen audio cues and a background track that evolves as you figure out more of the environment, starting fairly basic but adding more instruments until by the end game there is clearly a lot more going on. Add in how the… photosensitivity-challenging elements start appearing (I’m not gonna lie, I love them even though they will certainly hurt others), you start to feel like you can almost step outside of the game world, I’m not sure any of it is 100% unique but IMO it fits together rather well here.

There is also the bits about how sometimes progress is hidden behind intentionally hard to see pathways/doors, if you miss a jump (and jumping ain’t great) you may have to take a whole long path around the place to get back to where you were, how finicky some bits can be re: pillar height, basically stuff that makes me wonder if I am being too positive towards it.

Ultimately I can only speak to my personal experience, and I expected this to be a slight thing where I’d do my typical “that part was neat/interesting… next!” bit and instead I got sucked in and even when frustrated truly enjoyed working out exactly what it was asking of me. It was a good way to kick off my 2024 gaming and a solid reminder that there are still untold number of hidden treasures hiding in the troves of random games out there.

24 Likes

I’ve gotten to the section where the annoying guy turns the security robots against you, and they are stupidly overpowered. It’s drained all the healthkits I had stored up. Now the game is hard again.

6 Likes

I remembered Gorogoa from back when it was one of those mid-00’s “high-concept visual indie games that were perpetually about to come out but weren’t” alongside Limbo and FEZ. When it did finally come out (as the other two eventually did) I was legitimately surprised. It felt like everything the original 00’s demo promised it would be, too (for what good or little that’s worth).

10 Likes

i tend to post only in specific threads if there is one, but maybe i should mention that i played the fangame Undertale Yellow and posted about it here

5 Likes

if we have a 999-themed thread, can we crowbar some harlock or maetel in the title … somehow? :thinking:

5 Likes

Adieu Games You Played 999

5 Likes

Games you played 999: Eternal Fantasy

4 Likes

This is going to be really confusing when we hit the 999th iteration of the thread.

12 Likes

~417 years later i’m pulling the last needle so we can get to all the red 13s roaming around

11 Likes