Wii U Post-Mortem

Why not just hack it at this point?

I took your advice and did this. It’s been a fun exercise. I like how you can just rip and install disc-based games.

Also interesting to see how there are guides all over the place referring to different approaches, many of which have been replaced by better approaches even as recently as a month ago.

3 Likes

I should reclaim mine from my older brother just to reexperience the definitive version of Pikmin 3.

So it turns out you can put GameCube and Wii games on the main menu without even having to open the virtual Wii mode.

My cheap used copy of Yoshi’s Woolly World came in the mail today. The disc is in good shape, but the case seems to have been through a lot. I don’t know when I’ll actually get around to playing it. Or any of these games, really. The revitalization of the Wii U is like a game in itself.

(There are almost none of these I haven’t already played anyway, since they are all ones I already have on disc.)

6 Likes

I also have a hacked Wii U, and you did the right choice :grin:
A few days ago I installed Baroque, I can play it on the gamepad using its controls too. :grin:
@Rudie do you know if it’s possible to remap them, when using a Wii game this way?

Wrong person to ask I haven’t hacked one. Doubt it though.

I haven’t hacked my Wii-U but I did start playing Super Mario 3d World a few days ago. It seems fun but oddly exhausting, like I can only play few a few levels at a time before I feel like I need a break.

8 Likes

I think this is intentional. I feel like Miyamoto went through a crisis a few years back when he realized people had been gaming too hard and issued some kind of a decree that Nintendo games had to encourage break time

5 Likes

I’ve played a few levels in Yoshi’s Woolly World now, and it’s a charming game. I guess it’s just another take on Kirby’s Epic Yarn.

I also played the first part of Eternal Darkness today. It looks great on the Wii U. Another advantage of having it ripped is that my disc (which was all scratched up when I got it used many years ago) has always stuttered on the movies. Now, of course, they play just fine. I had to make my own icon for the game, though, as I didn’t like the one on offer. Here’s mine:

Eternal Darkness - Wii U Icon

8 Likes

I remember a lot of buzz about it when it came out. Is it still a good game today?

Okay, Yoshi’s Woolly World has some serious (artificial?) replay value. I started out getting a star on every level, but I think I will be abandoning that approach.

I’m tempted to say that the game doesn’t respect the player’s time for what you’d have to go through to be a completionist, but maybe it’s ideal for a kid who has only a handful of games and all the time in the world to play them. It’s possible that it’s more streamlined if you turn on easy mode. I haven’t tried that.

I have a lot of nostalgia for Eternal Darkness. It was my first “scary” game, and I found it pretty effective at the time. One thing I had forgotten is that is has a sort of clumsier version of the combat in Vagrant Story. But from the little I have played this week, it’s still enjoyable.

For anyone trying the game today, I’d recommend (intentionally) keeping the sanity meter low. It’s easy to keep it full but I think you miss a lot of the game’s novelty that way.

3 Likes

I love this game with all my heart, but yes.

2 Likes

I think I’ve decided I feel this way because I know there is a final set of levels that are supposed to be really good but really hard and that gaining access to it requires not missing a single collectible which bafflingly includes having the hit the top of the flagpole, so I regularly am struck by a “should I play this level again immediately while it is fresh in my mind and I have a decent idea where a star may be, or should I just keep going and play catch-up later”. Latter Nintendo loves this set-up and I… don’t.

2 Likes

Yeah it has always been my problem with Yoshi’s Island. You are literally graded at the end of every stage. The game is taking you to school (to collect bullshit) and is dissappointed in you. It’s like you don’t even want a pizza party.

It’s getting a 97 on a test and breaking down into tears. It encourages bombing every block of every screen. It gives me a pit in my stomach when I think about it.

That’s not even examining my own psychology of why am I playing a game that makes me miserable in a way that the reward is more game?

9 Likes

And @tony did you know there is a whole thread by you about Eternal Darkness?

I played it maybe last year with the community on a stream and we had a great time heckling it but I would have been miserable playing it alone.

1 Like

Fun fact: I like Yoshi’s Island a good deal but I think I’ve only ever seen maybe one of the unlockable levels, the game switches from pretty good fun when just playing to insufferable grind when trying to get 100s rather dramatically. Kid me had this figured out…

7 Likes

100%ing games is a disease and Yoshi’s Island is going to either rehabilitate you of the habit or give you the hell you deserve.

5 Likes

i find the 100%ing mindset fairly unsettling and the term itself is one of my least favorite gamerisms period but i actually appreciate/admire the aggressive belligerence of like yoshi’s island or jet force gemini in demanding it

6 Likes

Yeah my current play through of yoshis island is mostly an exercise in allowing my self to be comfortable with the number 84

As someone who deliberately chose to stay in school forever this is both therapeutic and incredibly difficult

10 Likes

i 100%'d Yoshi’s Island with the help of a strategy guide and the boredom and extensive time that only youth can afford. whenever i consider replaying it as an adult, though, the collecting-stuff aspect is what stops me

5 Likes