what anime should i watch that was created before ~1997

I think I’d choose to be born sometime between 1970 and 1975. The 70s and 80s produced the culture that means the most to me today. Not coincidentally, it was the age where you could say “gosh, I sure do want to go to college, I guess I’ll have to take a summer job.”

Having the Internet around to live though the era vicariously isn’t a point lost on me. But I feel like Internet is just a bandage over the wound of perpetual ennui.

Gan to Gon.
Hoshi no Ko Poron.
Space Battleship Yamato.
Farewell to Space Battleship Yamato.
Future Boy Conan.
Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro.
Mobile Suit Gundam.
Urusei Yatsura.
Armored Trooper VOTOMS.
The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love?
Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer.
Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind.
Castle in the Sky.
AKIRA.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water.
Yu Yu Hakusho.
Sailor Moon.
Neon Genesis Evangelion.
Case Closed.
Pokémon.
Revolutionary Girl Utena.

4 Likes

genuinely good list but I assume its all the pre 97 results on that nhk list? Hoshi no Ko Poron turned out to be weird barely animated comedy skits. Somewhat funny but very dated.

bloodpotions to these organisers

8 Likes

Yep!

WATCH THIS, THE UNOFFICIAL PREQUEL TO “ROAD AVENGER” AND THE MOST AMERICAN OF ALL MOVIES STARRING YANG WEN-LI WITH A DYE JOB

also we’re all watching it right now https://togethertube.com/rooms/c3f521bf-bb4a-4996-9b42-ad960932e88e

1 Like

oh man, you weren’t kidding

there is a short about robots and/or aliens in the desert that aired after lensman or project a-ko or akira or venus wars on sci fi channel but i don’t know what it is

don’t think it’s robot carnival

i’m kind of down for weekly old anime night really tbh

5 Likes

its probably green legend ran or iria zeiram the animation

1 Like

okay I’m back from comicon, where did we leave off

Are you cool yet?

You can judge by how much of my list you watched.

When da next watch night?

TONIGHT

NOW

2 Likes

Anime Club updates can be found here. As long as I am alive/can stomach anime there will be Anime Club Tuesdays at 8pm EST. If other people wanna do other nights it’s up to them. (Also Tulpa is doing most of the heavy lifting I think – I keep forgetting all this shit I wanna watch.)

also the room for the foreseeable future will be https://togethertube.com/rooms/sbanimeclub

Grave of the Fireflies for maximum depression

1 Like

Grave of the Fireflies, as it was explained to me, is a mecha anime where two Japanese orphans in bombed-out Nagasaki are trained to use their spirit energy to pilot giant robots for the American conquest of the main Japanese isles. However, the Japanese government creates their own giant robot using the remains of the orphans’ human mother and they have a battle atop a giant space station being used as a supply base for the Pacific War effort.

I have read enough about the anime to understand that most of this does not happen. However, ignorance is bliss.

Oh jeeze, I don’t think I can ever see the real movie now

i fucking hate Grave of the Fireflies and if anyone ever tries to put it on during anime club (LOL as if you can find ghibli on youtube) i will burn the chat down with everyone inside

That said, the best way to watch it is as a double feature with My Neighbor Totoro, as it was originally screened. Because 1. you get to feel like you’re being an authentic weeb 2. you get to watch My Neighbor Totoro 3. you get to wash away the grim slog that is GotF with My Neighbor Totoro

(to be fair i think Grave of the Fireflies is probably meant to feel like a depressing death march and if you are into that sort of thing, it’s probably a masterpiece. that said i couldnt stand it and i wish it wasnt what most people associate with Takahata (Only Yesterday forever and ever!))

Its genuinely sad to me that westerners mostly think of Ghibli as “Miyazaki movies”, Takahata’s films are really excellent

i think what 90% of people know about Pom Poko is “lol giant tanuki balls” but uhh it’s a stark, beautiful movie about destructive urbanization

and giant tanuki balls

4 Likes