what anime should i watch that was created before ~1997

I took this photograph today and wanted to pop it somewhere

only yesterday is the best sunday afternoon film

7 Likes

It’s decades later and the human race still can’t get over how cool Kaneda’s bike is.

There’s a roguelike named Elona where you open up “beta” races. One of those is a race of Kaneda’s bikes. I don’t mean people riding on Kaneda’s bikes. I mean just the bike. In the canon, they’re drug-dealers (because Capsules).

1 Like

I remember being younger and not getting Pom Poko. I bet I’d appreciate it more now.

Then again, I have seen Totoro enough times that the slow pace loses me nowadays.

whisper of the heart is my favorite ghibli movie

this is the only thread i can think of to say this here

1 Like

thanks to the SELECT BUTTON ANIME CLUB (a cool club for beautiful people) I got a chance to check out the ova of GREY: DIGITAL TARGET which I like parts of!

that made me read the manga, which I stayed up all night doing while making bad decisions. at least grey was there to take my mind off of it.

I realized that a couple of months ago at goodwill, I saw the American printed comic release of these from the 80’s that I don’t think I ended up buying too. rest in peace.

2 Likes

Wait, y’all watched Grey?

Man, I’ve been meaning to rewatch Grey for years. It used to be pretty hard to find, and I have fond childhood memories of it. Has that great 70’s-esque sci fi premise.

My main Christmas gift to my brother in 2016 was Viz’s complete run of Grey as individual issues as well as a horror/monster series that the same artist had done previous to Grey. There are some neat images in the monster comic, but overall it seemed to be pretty unremarkable.

No one cares about these comics, though, so with a bit of effort you can get them for something like $2-3/ish. The covers are really colorful, and it’s fun to read manga in large format.

Yeah what I read it on was jus a manga website - with shitty scans too! I guess the guy who made Grey doesn’t do manga anymore? Maybe he’s dead. Let’s find him, dig him up. Put him to work getting a new OVA made with a better ending.

Yeah, he seems to have disappeared.

This is basically the most information on him on the internet: http://www.zimmerit.moe/yoshihisa-tagami-anime-journalism/

So was the manga any good?

I was really pretty disappointed by Horobi (the horror manga). It had such creepy psycho-sexual monsters, but the actual writing was about on par with Ronin Warriors.

A character present in the OVA dies in the manga, well, actually, pretty much nobody really makes it. There’s a little less post apocalyptic shootmans and more robot action which kind of makes things less interesting.

The Manga has a lot better dialogue and structure but the OVA has overall better pacing and is more likeable.

1 Like

Hard disagree on the ova being more likable. I preferred the weird style of faces to the generic anime look of the ova. Honestly I was a bit disappointed by the OVA as a just-inferior version of the manga

yeah to each their own (partially depends on your medium of preference) but I also like the manga better

death to color and motion

2 Likes

Reanimeted.

1 Like

it’s back, for Anime

Maybe send to Cinephile, though I will forget it forever there.

(Petition to move this thread to ‘Input’)

Xabungle

1 Like

Also Mobile Fighter G Gundam

Toll had it right from the first response watch votoms.

I’m glad you like votoms now, I remember you being a bit cold on it last time votoms came up on sb

I don’t think it counts as spoilers if I say that I maintain the original TV series and the OVA/movies/new episodes as separate canons. In a rare example, I really enjoy both “canons.” But they each seem to have a separate explanation for what is going on that, while purposely not irreconcilable, is more fun when split into two possibilities. It’s like getting two Star Trek episodes for the price of one.