what anime should i watch that was created before ~1997

listen, I’ve already watched all of dragon ball and dragon ball z. I’m what you might call a ‘connoisseur’ of fine animé. I’ve even watched Mobile Suit Gundam at least half of it before I got bored and someone said watch a movie or something. I never did. I’m looking to fill my repertoire of classic animés up so I can seem knowledgeable to all the people at my local college.

Speed Racer

fritz the cat

Lily C.A.T.

1 Like

this is not a troll post, but it’s also not a toll post.

Skipping obvious mentions:

Martian Successor Nadesico. Not because it is the best, not because it is the worst, but because it is the Most Anime any anime can be without becoming repulsive. It’s right on the fucken line.

Votoms is the best anime. Spinoff Armor Hunter Mellowlink is the second best anime.

Dougram is you had an interest in Mechwarrior/BattleTech at some point in your life.

MD Geist has the rather curious property where something like 5% of the people who watch it are irrevocably changed by it and the other 95% see it as trash. There is a Great Mystery at work here. For those 5%, it’s like finding a long-last fragment of your own self and feeling more comfortable in the world you are in. There is a religion in this.

3 Likes

I knew I could count on you, bubba

is tsuigake ran as good as people say

Watch Butt Attack Punisher Girl and that Daicon IV opening and you’ve seen all the anime you need to see that doesn’t have Lum’s mom.

1 Like

i want to recommend my favorite anime but it aired in 1997 so i’ll recommend my second and third favorites, Sailor Moon and Future Boy Conan

1 Like

Robot Carnival is from 1987. Still worthwhile.

3 Likes

genesis climber mospeada has motorbikes that turn into power armour and a theme song you’ll get stuck in your head for the rest of your life

armor hunter mellowlink is like if an early third party mega drive game was an anime. look at the episode titles and tell me it doesn’t look like a list of stages from a late 80s videogame!

giant gorg has a gorg that’s giant

hokuto no ken is the best melodramatic daytime soap about brotherly love and people’s guts exploding

secret of blue water is both a cool adventure story and a cute adolescent romance

ko century beast warriors has really nice character designs

you have to watch pop chaser to be allowed to talk about sakuga and be a high-level anime fan

there’s lots of fantasy oavs with nice character designs and a small number of episodes from the early 90s: dragon half, ruin explorers, ozanari dungeon, kouryu densetsu villgust, etc.

i wanna know what @sleepysmiles favourite anime is

3 Likes

castle in the sky over and over again

3 Likes

laputa is almost as important to videogames as hokuto no ken and jojo’s bizarre adventure are

is it ok if it started before 97 but ended after? If so, Giant Robo the Animation is even better than you could imagine

3 Likes

this is an acceptable concession

Megazone 23 features all the important parts of anime: rebel teens, a motorcycle that turns into a giant robot, military conspiracies to control all human life, and a pop musician that is actually an AI

Galaxy Express 999 features a thousand planets obsessed with mortality, a little boy who gets revenge on someone named Count Mecha, and the best Space Pirate to ever appear in any medium.

4 Likes

what makes harlock the best my dude

Harlock or someone else?

Cool coat, dead friends, good hair, good bird

5 Likes