what anime should i watch that was created before ~1997

<—
It’s Revolutionary Girl Utena!

4 Likes

MD Geist is the perfect portal back to when anime was held in the same nervous reverence as a cassette of the first Body Count record.

3 Likes

Pretty much everything that was on Sci-Fi Channel’s Satuday Anime. Which I assume was all before '97? I dunno, it’s fuzzy. Dominion Tank Police, Venus Wars, Project A-Ko, Akira obviously. Seconding the motion for MD Geist and Robot Carnival

4 Likes

http://anduin.eldar.org/~brad/anime/sfc/sfc.html

1 Like

I mean I’m not gonna rep for that whole list cause I don’t remember them all. The ones I remember I remember because they were arresting enough to be burned into my memory.

Vampire Hunter D is eh, I’d rather watch the (much newer) Bloodlust, just as dumb but incalculably more beautiful.

Oh yeah Lily C.A.T.! The scene of him opening the hydrogen tanks, flipping out his lighter, and blowing up the whole ship I can still see in my mind’s eye.

I guess I should say I have a horrible memory and the fact that I can clearly remember sequences from anything I watched on TV in middle school is in itself evidence of its evocative power.

1 Like

Iria Zeiram is pretty much your kind of thing

Green Legend Ran is good too

3 Likes

basically watch anything that seems like it’s chiefly populated by grown humans and not revolting dolls

1 Like

Still mad at my friend for never giving me this DVD back

Then maybe Ruroni Kenshin? It’s not essential, unless you’re really just trying to check off all the boxes.

sweetheart I don’t need to watch rurouni kenshin, I’ve lived it (oro)

1 Like

though i’d never watched rurouni kenshin before 2015-16, the second opening fills me with nostalgia

it’s just so emblematic of the era it came out, i guess

3 Likes

Did you ever get around to checking out those Mumblesquad boys because your tastes just keep lining up with Isaac’s. Utena (he liveblogged the whole thing iirc), Lamezone, probably other things.

1 Like

Don’t watch anime.

6 Likes

move this to cinephile because i want to watch all of these eventually when im mentally healthier, botagel be damned

4 Likes

Not a single mention of Gunbuster? This makes me sad.

2 Likes

i was actually just trying to remember their name/find the post where you told me about them the other day!!

2 Likes

sleepysmiles and courier rice are the red/blue energy being versions of the same person

1 Like

Anime Was The Final Revenge Of A Nation Scorched By The Power Of The Atom

(spoilers for oreimo)

Thou Shalt Rot

I’m taking this as a compliment!