Official SB Anime Club

I’m So Sorry

this is the thread to follow/post in when we groupcast stuff

we should pick a time of the week to do this regularly because it’s great but also whenever something gets organized impromptu in the discord y’all can give a heads-up here

you can set this thread to Watching if you want notifications

paging @HOBO etc

5 Likes

Tonight was the first night of the Official SB Anime Club, and we watched CALIFORNIA CRISIS. Also some Slayers, which had lotsa bad boobs jokes, and the Wizardry anime, which follows the rules and has good TL notes.

I learned 3 things from CALIFORNIA CRISIS:

1: Anime is art, and it is good.
2: America is beautiful, but the American dream is an Orb, and it’s dead.
3: Streets are hot.

We also watched a 15 minute super deformed GAL FORCE special that made me think Lesbian Space Opera should be the dominant genre of the 21st century.

I like the idea of doing this on Tuesdays. Tuesday is a very anime night, if you ask me.

Also we’re still watching Wizardry if you’d like to join https://togethertube.com/rooms/c3f521bf-bb4a-4996-9b42-ad960932e88e

7 Likes

The ending of California Crisis is this incredible “oh, uh… well then” moment.

Rest in peace, ITS BABY.

1 Like

Wizardry was very good and very accurate and no game-to-tv adaptation will ever surpass it.

That said, we should check out the Ys anime some time. Pretty sure that exists.

It does, and I think I’ve got a couple of episodes of it on DVD somewhere!

I forget everything about it.

If it’s narrative-accurate to Ys, that sounds right. Ys I & II (the only ones I played) were rather generic. Super charmingly so, though!

yes let’s do a bunch more 80s/90s ovas please

we should maybe throw a proper queue together somewhere/how. if mods want to use the first post as the space for that they can or we can just throw up a link to some external thing

getting other people in on things is the only way i can manage to do them anymore it seems like so im pretty supportive of all this

I played the NES version of Ys1 all the way to the end credits about 4 years ago and don’t remember a DAMN THING other than what you’d be able to glean from the first 15 minutes

ys1 is generic but its art is above-average for the nes and its music is unimpeachable

the overworld and final boss themes, specifically on the nes, god damn

edit: it might not actually be the final boss theme im thinking of, maybe ill go back and post it when im not super tired

there’s like…a tree? that you uncover a special item from under? and twins and a song that one of them plays? there’s…

…you rocket into the sky at the end!

why didn’t y’all play the PC Engine version, that had cutscenes and hella tune quality

COUGH @botagel is the anime mod COUGH

but I could definitely add some vintage anime from my backlog to the list. I went through a couple Locke the Superman OVAs in the past and those may be worth revisiting with SB pals

okay here are my suggestions that could be added to a list

• Ys anime? It exists
  • some of those Locke the Superman OVAs, some of them are really different
  • the old original Stardust Crusaders OVA, with the english dub. the prequel OVA is ignorable.
  • gunbuster
  • area 88
  • crusher joe? I don’t remember much about that
  • old fist of the north star movie, dub arguable
  • maybe popolocrois story, idk how people feel about full series
  • kikaider KIKAIDER
  • definitely the devilman stuff
  • maybe iria zeiram, followed by a thread about the recently translated SuFami game
  • dominion tank police? patlabor? some of this cute police stuff
  • giant robo
  • the rest of my backlog is getting obscure to me. andromeda stories? what is this again i don

Oh, this is interesting and good reason to remove the dust from my unused discord account. Main not always join (UK time here) but will keep an eye.

And as for suggestions:

• Dragon’s Heaven is very pretty, have some model kits and it’s like 30 min. It’s always nice to revisit.

i am so into this and also, i have a big huge list of anime i want to watch in the coming month(s) and would love to find people to watch some of it with me. i dont want to do it alone, it’s cold and there are wolves after me

3 Likes

@xXHaCkErBoYXx’s pre-1997 anime thread was good and I think that is a good cutoff: if it came out after Evangelion it can go to hell, unless it’s super crazy.

I know that means no Bottle Fairies. I’m sorry.

OAV OR BUST. I think watching a bunch of short OAVs is a good idea at first. Also loading up the playlist with 2-5 minute oddities/AMVs so people can relax and take a break between features…that’s a good idea.

If we can all settle on a series we’d like to work our way through I think that would be great. Maybe we should do a vote? Where we watch 1/2 episodes a week of some shit? In between watching weirdos OAVs. Cuz boy, I want to watch so many weirdo OAVs I haven’t seen.

Has anyone watched the THEY WERE ELEVEN anime? I assume it sucks cuz manga is always better than anime, and I love Moto Hagio to death, but it has a dub so maybe it is good. I think dubs are good for a thing like this, because it makes it easier to follow on-line chat if you’re a native English speaker like myself.

1 Like

I love moto hagio too, she had an episode on naoki urusawa’s manben that is worth watching

Stan says he wants to watch the rest of Gall Force and I just want to step in and veto this idea and anyone who might support him

I’m not suffering that again

you can’t make me

TONIGHT AT 10PM EST: WE ARE WATCHING AN ANIME.

What anime, I don’t know. Where…I’m not sure. But it’s happening…believe it! Be there or get shot in the junk!

If anyone wants to start a channel earlier please feel free, and post a link here and in the Discord.

Thank you!

Now playing: Captain of Cosmos

Shin Megami Tensei: Tokyo Revelation is a really bad cartoon. Like, really bad. Really, really bad.

Iron Virgin Jun is also bad.

Someone please take control of the channel and program at least ONE actually good cartoon next time someone hits play. Please.