videogame things you think about a lot (Part 1)

lu bu drinking pepsi

the objective in the ps2 NARC game thats just “Smoke the dope or don’t. It’s up to you.”

the spinning reload of the marathon 2 shotguns

smoking a huge bowl of NARLANT WEED

11 Likes

(Happens around a minute after time stamp)

7 Likes

A new engine/suite for making vs-fighters

3D stages set on moving platforms. Like the opening of Bayonetta and the stage in Sin & Punishment where you’re on a platform flying around an aircraft carrier or something.

4 Likes

How the bird dies in Pharaoh’s Curse when you shoot it.

The sound of a drowning swimmer calling for help in Park Patrol.

When the dancing Goron says “Hot!!” in Ocarina of Time.

When Cynthia says, “I feel like I’m dying” in Silent Hill 4. (Warning: This is a violent scene, or at least the result of one.)

The line at the bottom of the Game Over screen for SOTN.

sotn_game_over

19 Likes

23 Likes

Whether branching narratives, replayability, skippable scenes, and achievements across multiple playthroughs in narrative-based games–especially dating sims and the like with multiple romantic interests–more tend to reflect patriarchal fantasies of sexual conquest, ownership, and entitlement to other people’s bodies or a sort of queer exploration of multiple temporalities.

(btw, if anyone knows of any writing on this, please share)

2 Likes

What if a team of game developers with spent x-months making a ZZT world as their full-time job?

How would the history of videogames be different if Moore’s Law was a 4-year process? 6-years? 8? 10? 1?

What alternate timeline hogged the glut of Space Harrier/Star Fox/Panzer Dragoon-derived 3D-shoot-em-ups that we should have got/be getting and how do I get there?

Who’s idea at Nintendo was it to release a decade’s worth of “New”" 2D Mario games without any serious attempts at mechanical or aesthetic reinvention, and how do I fire them?

11 Likes

a significant proportion of first party master system games were developed in japan, but not released there. it’s just interesting to me how there were japanese devs working on games that were only going to be played in europe and south america.

6 Likes

gator%20shaman

11 Likes

the gravelly voice of the passenger in space taxi

chun li’s bouncing bountiful bosom

4 Likes

Player/avatar/character gait

4-Jesu-006

5 Likes

“if you dont play donkey kong country, YOU ARE STUPID”

the weird way my characters finger twitches when im holding a rifle in destiny 2

the incredulous faces aloy made EVERY TIME a man opened his mouth

3 Likes

the last level in dyad where the colors FORCE AND PRESS themselves against your screen, trying to get out, trying to infect you

5 Likes

How to be a straight white cisdude who likes video games and writes video games and programs video games and not be anything like the guy who made YIIK.

10 Likes

This one for sure. Also,

The sound one particular woman makes when you roll her up in Katamari Damacy.

Ignus’s laugh in Planescape: Torment.

2 Likes

LCD startup screens

6359898053_6dd9cfd01a

6393062675_54f813b187

megamanlcd

firefox_peZNH9In8r

firefox_tSAOcmMQul

firefox_XadhM1asW4

YPrcndI39N

25 Likes

Another thing they should make dress shirts and foulards with immediately

3 Likes

i think about how namco patented games within their loading screens, and how even though the patent is expired i still dont see mini games within loading screens ever and it sucks

8 Likes

mill
mill