The News Grandmaster 4000

I kept wondering why this looked so off-brand metal gear until I saw the artwork at the end

Someone just blood potioned an old post I had where I was pretty hard on Rohrer. Thought I should post this because I played his new game One Hour One Life for a while last night and I think there’s actually something to it.

Mechanically, it’s an intentionally obtuse Don’t Starve. Everything is fiddly and unintuitive. You can probably technically do anything by yourself, but without outside tools you can only carry one item at a time. This turns even simple tasks into long chains of swapping items and splaying out unfinished widgets on the ground.

While mechanically unremarkable, framing a survival game around the impermanence of life and the nature of familial relationships works way better than I was expecting.

I entered the game as a baby, born to (apparently) a single mother. She was frantically running around, planting carrots and gathering berries. “Stay put. It’s warmer here,” she told me. “Say F when you’re hungry”.

As a baby, you cannot interact with the environment at all. You can only move or speak. The speaking part is actually pretty clever: as a baby you’re limited to saying only a single character at a time. As you grow older, you’re given additional space to write more complex messages.

Since you’re unable to pick up or use anything, you’re entirely reliant on your mother (or another of-age woman) to feed you. My mother zipped around the small farm she had seemingly created by herself, making sure to check in every 20 seconds to see if I was hungry again.

After 5 minutes, I grew hair and my mother asked, “You know how to farm?” She gave me a hoe, showed me how to collect dirt and water the plots. “Always leave one row of carrots so you can replant the seeds.”

As I tended to the garden, my mother was rushing around creating tools, firing things in the kiln, and crafting other items I barely knew the purpose of. “You’re doing such a great job, honey,” she said as I planted berries.

Soon enough I had my own two children. I told them, “Stay here, it’s warm. Say F when you’re hungry,” just like my mom had taught me. I showed the kids how to plant berries, pile up dirt, where to get water.

My mom was visibly older now. She was rushing around to get omelettes made. “I’m so old, and there’s still so much to do,” she said. “Keep ahead of the food,” she said before she died. “There’s never enough.”

I buried her south of the farm. The kids were grown up now, running around collecting supplies. I barely saw them. I couldn’t figure out how to get the berry bushes to yield again, so I only replanted carrots. My hunger bar decreased from eating the same thing over and over.

Our hoe broke, and I couldn’t figure out how to repair it. I tried to make a new one, but I couldn’t find the right supplies in the immediate area. I missed my mom; she’d have known what to do.

The carrot supply dwindled; we were slowly starving. Told my kids to eat the last of the carrots and then go foraging for more food. I died before they got back.

“You died. Age: 44 years. Cause: Starvation”.

I started another game. “Fuk u” said my mother and she abandoned me in the reeds.

43 Likes

wow

1 Like

This is the best let’s play I’ve ever read

2 Likes

Frontpage quality post

3 Likes

Came across this and tt seems like Vita actually does have a MIPS in there. I think it lacks an “ME” though which does cause PS1 emulation to suffer somewhat:

VITA POPS is some kind of hybrid of PSP POPS. CPU emulation is running natively on MIPS processor and SPU and GPU emulation are running on the VITA side. This is because of the ME, which the vita lacks. But PSX games on the ARC use PSP POPS, where sound is processed through ME, we don’t have this chip on the vita so all ME instructions NOPed or skipped and we don’t have sound because of this. To overcome lack of ME Total Noob ported PEOPS SPU plugin in his TN-V, but it wasn’t best solution. CPU + SPU processing on the single MIPS processor was too hard for it in some scenarios.

At least if random reddits are to be trusted
https://www.reddit.com/r/vitahacks/comments/66gqom/my_overview_of_ps1_emulation_on_the_vita/

Very interesting, thanks for the info.

2 Likes

So Killer7 is just out on Steam

No clue how the port is or if they actually just licensed Dolphin like the trailers implied. Even selling a “remastered” soundtrack:

3 Likes

8 Likes

Sure, ripping mp3s from youtube can be considered a type of “mastering”.

4 Likes

reviews seem to indicate it is a not bad port at least.

PlayStation is skipping E3 2019:

they’ll just send someone there to stand on a stage and pull out a napkin with ‘idk crash bandicoot vs uncharted or some bullshit’ and read it aloud and get game of the show

At least we get one less awkward speech from a Sony executive wearing a 1,000$ blazer and bluejeans.

This is amazing. I love games that make you play two different games at the same time

2 Likes

eventually shit like E3 and TGS will just be hosted online in virtual reality, with virtual booths. play demos of stupid games nobody will remember, watch goofy fucks parade on a virtual stage to talk about their stupid video game console or the future of gaming or whatever the fuck, chat with developers, toggle the goddamn booth girls off (are those even still a thing? i hope not). all of this without having to inhale somebody’s body miasma or run the risk of getting somebody’s sweat on you, nobody to bump into you, all of the asses screaming betrayal will just be doing it in the chat rooms.

i guess E3 should just be second life. but in my head there’s more of a geocities aesthetic.

E3 and stuff like that stopped really exciting or even interesting me in like, 2005 or 6. i figure the stuff that will appeal to me will probably just pop up on itch dot io or steam, but i’m also not the target for E3 since i’m not paid to write about video games nor do i manage a babbages. i hope it all came down to somebody being like, “man, i don’t want to go to fuckin’ L.A. or have to deal with any of this shit”, and a bunch of people in the boardroom agreed, so they said fuck it!

2 Likes

Did they do this? The soundtrack files sounds pretty good to me but I am an ignoramus about audio quality. The GC version was definitely painfully compressed in places, especially the little puzzle solve guitar arpeggio.

Mouse control in menus is definitely a good sign! Tho lol this game is going to be so easy with mouse aim.

new vanillaware game delayed indefinitely

No this is completely baseless and unfair speculation, steam reviews seem to report the soundtrack sounds uncompressed and high quality. I’m still suspicious of what “remastered” means in the context audio whose life has been completely digital.