Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

FF15 let me live out my dreams of being in a scifi boyband, has an opening that is a silly mashup of FF music and Stand by Me sung by Florence+the Machine while your boys push a busted car down the street, and is just silly good times.

I am still waiting for them to completely finish whatever DLC is going to exist for it so I can play through it all again. I know they recently cancelled a bunch, but I think there is like 1 more DLC thing for it coming.

1 Like

Speaking of FFXV,

I’d love to play the DLC on PS4 now that it’s mostly all done and I haven’t played the game since launch, but holy lord does PSN make it confusing on the best way to buy it all. There’s all kinds of different bundles and upgrades, or rebuying the base game with the Royal Edition/Car Edition whatever else. I have zero clue what the cheapest way to get all the episodes + the weird coop mode is. Has anyone else that got the game at launch and then wanted to dip back in later figured out the best buy to do so?

ffxv easily has the best writing in the entire series do not @ me

2 Likes

i’ve really enjoyed cackling at every bizarre labyrinthine update and expansion announced, i was very sad when they canceled a bunch of it

2 Likes

Royal Edition has everything.

1 Like

i thought xv was tripe, surprised it was so well received

1 Like

Everything involving the 4 main dudes camping or in the car is god-tier final fantasy.
Literally everything else and every other character and location and story beat is total garb!! They got the hard part down perfectly and totally fucked up the easy stuff! It’s such an infuriating game in that way!

I think you and I tend to align on which Bad Things we can’t make into Good Things for ourselves but I’m glad the forum is less homogeneous in that respect

1 Like

Yeah, SB 2.0 exists in a better cultural moment than prior iterations of the forums where the last thing any of us feels is that games are under fire from culture at large, or that they need to prove themselves as art, etc, thus the stakes are incredibly low for Just Enjoying A Dang Game without worrying about cheapening the medium.

5 Likes

I like to be ambiguous about how much I mean something while making sure my words are valuable regardless of my intent.

4 Likes

@Felix did you play any of the deadfire DLCs? Deciding if I should just get the base game or the one with all the stuff

it’s long enough without imo

the content is good across the board but I didn’t feel like I needed more

1 Like

It’s incredibly unlikely that I’ll finish it anyway so that’s just what I needed to hear :+1:

You can probably wait? It suffers a bit from the Human Revolution problem where the systems designers crafted this elaborate web of relationships and influence with dependencies and consequences, and then the main plot comes stomping through and throws a bullshit boss at you that’s so over-the-top it ruins things a little bit. The game doesn’t really do subtlety or nuance, even though it’s clearly aspiring to be something with a veneer of sophistication, so your ability to shrug off stuff like the godawful opening is an important indicator of how well you’ll stomach the game as a whole. I liked what I played of it, but I’m right at the end and I don’t feel a burning need to pick it back up until I finish with some newer games.

1 Like

also ty for buying deadfire, sprint vector, and horizon 4 after I was so excited about each of them, now all you need is planetoid pioneers and you will have the complete felix 2018 enthusiasm kit

While I’m traveling with just my switch I’m hankering for a jrpg to play for a little while, any recommendations?

My criteria (which may make this impossible):

I’m losing tolerance for anime tiddies in my advanced age
I don’t want 20 hours of exposition before I get to actually play the game
I’m probably only going to play this for a week or two, so maybe $15 max is what I’m willing to spend

Maybe the Phantasy Star @GherkinForce recently enjoyed?

romancing saga 2

fits all of those criteria, there’s maybe 20 seconds of exposition in the whole thing

5 Likes

I’m loving Phantasy Star, but it’s pretty short, and the difficulty is either a little too easy or a little too hard. Hasn’t stopped me from enjoying it, though.

1 Like

Oh! Great! I’ve been meaning to play a SaGa game

Oh no! :frowning: how bad?

edit: and its $25 on the eShop right now, hm

it’s not great but functional and the only way to play it in english

it’s not a tick, can be more brutal than that if you’re not careful - you lose 1 life every time you’re hit while knocked out

it rules

1 Like