Quick Questions XIII: Answers Return

Dat harpoon!

Taking on a caravan during a sand storm with lightning crashing all around you is awesome.

2 Likes

Then they should have made that game! That gamelet suffers for being hidden in an open-world game more than most, especially since the rest is so disappointing.

2 Likes

I liked all the camping and traveling around and dining and camaraderie stuff in ffxv, but the way the game plays out you end up feeling more like a final fantasy park ranger than either royalty on a road trip, or later on, royalty hiding out and trying to launch a counter coup d’etat

Far Cry 3 is probably the best of the Ubi strain of this kind of game, sure it has just about the least likable characters in a game but it’s a fun island to cause havoc across.

Maybe next year I will tell the Far Cry 4 Story.

1 Like

FF15 is fine and fun and neat and the only layer of post-irony you need is “in retrospect, irony is kinda stupid and things are better when you feel real ways instead”

2 Likes

every time someone takes that position I think they must have a different concept of irony than I do

not wanting to get “caught” liking something a little dumb or popular, is the definition I’m used to

Like what you like, we’re not here long enough to worry about that.

Some of my favorite games are bad

1 Like

Select Button
Some of my favorite games are bad

2 Likes

Thanks for all the tips! Mad Max is just $5 so that’s an easy one to swallow. Just want something I can play on my laptop while watching TV with family over the holidays.

Also all the Mad Max movies are on Steam for some reason and they’re all more expensive than the game.

final fantasy fifteen is easily the best open world game of the last few years come on doods. its the only one that isnt exactly the same as every other one! yeah its broken but who the hell cares it actually has personality. of all games final fantasy fifteen was like one of the least likely to feel like humans made it, and yet!!!

6 Likes

ffxv has charming elements for sure but it’s absolutely not on the botw/mgsv/w3 tier at all

3 Likes

watching this video is mathematically superior to playing the witcher
6 Likes

Lego games.

I never had a term for it before, but “check-em-off” easily describes every single one of them.

MGS V is a mechanically very strong game, but is kind of a shitty openworld game if that makes any sense. The big map is good for the missions that spill out over a large section of it and putting the individual sections into a larger context (and for being able to approach them from different directions), but as a place to wander around it’s not… good. The areas that aren’t specific “here is where the gameplay is” ones are literally empty with enemies showing up so infrequently as to be largely ignorable.

That’s not to say it is a bad game, but playing it as an openworld game is probably a bad way to play it.

2 Likes

all gamedev effort currently spent on continually trashed environments and assets should be consolidated into an open but independent collective focused on a perpetually updated compulsively shared hyper accurate recreation of earth

2 Likes

what the hell

I already told you to buy Sunset Overdrive

1 Like

Oh hell, I forgot Sunset Overdrive is on PC now. That game is great!

Otherwise I think everyone is onto something with Mad Max. I’m an Ubisoft open world apologist, but those games are either 1) still too expensive 2) too involved or 3) way too goddamn big.

I mean, Ghost Recon Wildlands is a brainless open world game (that, played solo, is sort of a sniper team management sim as much as it is a third person shooter), but I doubt it’d run well on a laptop and it is Way Too Big. It’s also kinda morally horrendous, too.

If Watch Dogs 2 is cheap, though, that’s a pretty good time!

Oh, I did, that night. I just returned it within an hour. For a game all about constant movement it feels so mushy and slow. It’s like JSRF stuck at base speed.

1 Like

strongest part of the game and the world

2 Likes