Games You Played Today Classic Mini

The thing is I don’t feel dumb playing Baba is You because the puzzles seem impossible until you solve them.

It’s like…You can’t feel weak being asked to beat God in a wrestling match, no one can do that.*

But then you do, and pinning that motherfucker to The ground makes you feel amazing because you did a thing you thought was impossible.

And that’s why it’s amazing

*[this actually happens in the book of genesis but Christians are too cowardly to mention it]

6 Likes

fuck Rue’s route

he’s got the most boring JRPG-ass story imaginable and his puzzle solving is barely improved over the stuff in Mint’s route, nevermind the slightly tilted focus over towards combat, which is a thing the game doesn’t excel at

but mostly he’s boring. Mint? Mint is fun. she’s a gigantic asshole accidentally saving the world because her sister was a bitch to her so she has to be a bigger bitch and take over the world. Mint is what I wish every character was because she accurately reflects the cynicism I see the world with and responds in kind by dragging everyone into her nonsense kicking and screaming

the localization did her favors

2 Likes

Leave my precious morphling boy alone.

1 Like

I did just solve one puzzle with a particularly hilarious solution and it felt amazing

but now I’m back to hating my lizard brain

2 Likes

That’s how I feel playing Jonathan Blows the Witness.

3 Likes

Like I said earlier, this is far and away my favorite puzzle game since the witness.

…unless Obduction counts. If that counts probably Obduction but I don’t really think of that as being primarily a puzzle game.

2 Likes

this game honestly makes me feel like I shouldn’t be a programmer lmao

I love every part of programming but I suck at syntax so I was born for this game.

Holy shit…this game completely simulates what it’s like to make a game out of a ‘game making engine’ by working with the limited toolset and having goals beyond what the software’s designers thought you could do.

And it’s made in fucking multimedia fusion.

Baba is You is art.

3 Likes

Sidebar: It’s a great story because Jacob was trying to sleep separate from his family as they were travelling. God comes up and starts wrestling with him all through the night and they’re evenly matched. The sun rises, God touches him and pops his hip out of joint, then tells him to desist “for the day has broken.” Jacob says “no fuck you give me my blessing.” And so He did, giving Jacob the name “Israel” or “a man seeing God.”

So I guess when BABA is YOU is making you feel frustrated, throw something out of joint and see if it helps. Maybe renaming yourself is the way to go!

6 Likes

that’s just like when vegeta fights frieza

5 Likes

Baba is you is a great transgender game because sometimes the you that works best for you isn’t the you that you were told you were when you started out.

Sorry I have a one track mind right now.

9 Likes

Wolfenstein II could have been just that much more incendiary if they put BJ in a femme nazi supersoldier body (don’t click if you ain’t played it; play it!)

seriously tho see also: gen:lock, soma, kentucky route zero

4 Likes

Played PC Builder Simulator for like 8 hours straight last night

I’m pretty sure this game was made specifically for me

1 Like

I watched a Let’s Play of Satisfactory and you just have to admire a game in which you can casually build a space elevator. And of course they went whole hog and made you able to see the cable from miles and miles away, it’s awesome. Kind of a Halo moment to see that

I confess that I have looked up the solutions to two Baba Is You puzzles and I’ve never felt dirtier.

One in particular I’ll hate myself forever for not experiencing the joy of discovering the game worked like that.

(But also, I’d spent like a full hour on it over the course of two nights, and my free time is precious.)

1 Like

I looked up one out of the ~70 I’ve done so far just because I wanted to make sure I wasn’t misunderstanding what pull could do

answer: nope!

1 Like

I’ve looked up two so far but I’m not going to any more because what is the point?

maybe we can start a baba is you hint thread where we can nudge stuck players towards the right line of thinking without giving any solutions away?

3 Likes

that is a good idea

1 Like

it is done

2 Likes

The in-game hint system in Thimbleweed Park is so good at pointing you in the right direction without giving outright spoilers if you don’t want it. It’s also charming but frustrating that it is tied diagetically to the availability of a phone.

2 Likes