#CYBERPUNK 2077 šŸ’»

I guess it really does branch based on your decisions because all I can remember is being a cyborg anti-vax robocop vindicated when the cyborg vaccine is a trick

8 Likes

Steam really hyping this release up right now. Countdown!

So is this technically an immersive sim? I was always kind of sketchy on the definition. Seems to me that RPGs always had immersive sim elements and immersive sims most of the time have RPG elementsā€¦?

If itā€™s kinesthetically like Witcher 3 I think this will be solidly RPG with guns, not immersive sim.

1 Like

Immersive sim-style level design is way too expensive and specific to spread over a GTA city. Certainly, before Witcher 3 we always said small-world RPG fidelity couldnā€™t be combined with a huge open world and they proved it wrong, but even still

But like donā€™t you have the choice to go loud, stealthily or with a hacking approach in Cyberpunk 2077? I thought that was the point, to have that kind of choice spread over a whole open world RPG

Iā€™ve seen a few ā€œitā€™s GTA but you go into immersive sim dungeonsā€ takes

Okay, makes sense, yeah

Depends on how we define the genre constraints, I guess. I think itā€™s intimately tied to precise level design interleaved with branching paths and multiple solution opportunities. Itā€™s a confused genre definition because the Origin Systems/Looking Glass games taken as antecedents were working on two projects:

One, describing RPG character growth and situational choice through action and traversal mechanics. This has ebbed and flowed across game-making cultures; late-NES was a high-point of RPG-izing games in the wake of Dragon Quest, and in the past decade alongside power-growth mobile games weā€™ve seen an emphasis on explicit character growth in the AAA omni-genre. Iā€™d expect them to hit this as hard as anyone with different player mechanics to resolve encounters.

Two, Origin & Looking Glass games were about exploring 3D and first-person perspectives and digging into what that closer perspective meant for spatial representation and scene detail. They were focused on simulationist AI routines, props that could be used to tell stories of the space, physical and reactive modeling of traps and environmental effects that treated the player as a combatant like the NPCs, and expressive player movement which, in combination with the character growth choices, blocked routes between characters. This was harder to follow-up on; weā€™ve seen a lot of slavish fidelity to the exact choices they made in Arkaneā€™s games (I like them) but a lot of the territory has been popular in action PC games made in the wake of Minecraft; a marriage of PC-native control schemes and attention-demanding designs and simulationism in the survival genre that seems a core part of most breakout PC titles in the past ten years.

Soā€¦I think most of the design of the genre lives on, but the genre definition has become cramped to ā€˜games like Thief and Deus Exā€™ which isnā€™t very useful.

8 Likes

Whatā€™s an immersive sim? Iā€™ve played lots of games so please feel free to express it as a portmanteau of two older game titles.

1 Like

Ultima Elderworlds?

1 Like

Oh if I hit reload thereā€™s a post right there explaining that weā€™re talking about Strifelikes

5 Likes

An immersive sim is a game where you can pick the lock, or jump on some boxes to open a vent.

12 Likes

The parable ā€œWhen God closes a door He opens a window.ā€ is an immersive sim.

10 Likes

Deus Ex is a god game.

5 Likes

Hmmm

This is the topic where we talk about immersive sims.

5 Likes

Alright, the game downloaded an additional 6 GB and now itā€™s just sitting pretty.

Iā€™M JACKING IN

1 Like

5 Likes

its actually the opposite, most of those people think cyberpunk is sjw propaganda and the game was delayed, and ultimately released unfinished, because cd projekt spent too much time adding penis sliders and turning some of the characters brown

2 Likes

this unreal engine 1 ass shit is amazing

13 Likes