2 0 1 8

it is! It’s the only NES revival that really nails it!

Where’s the 2019 predictions thread?

1 Like

I think my game of the year is Destiny 2 having a good expansion and a great expansion. I haven’t been a “one game” kind of person since Monster Hunter 3 but it takes up just enough brain space that I can’t spare the leisure-effort for other things unless I’m on vacation. Nothing has grabbed me like Breath of the Wild or been as entertaining a story as Wolfenstein II.

I could really use KRZ to wrap up the year.

1 Like

this, but multimedia art projects instead of candles (to be clear i love you, cardboard compy)

1 Like

yeah I was keeping the #1 spot warm for cardboard computer but guess we gotta wait

1 Like

why you no want to play celeste

okay thanks

if there’s one thing I hate more than narratives about personal triumph it’s airdashing

10 Likes

I guess I haven’t played all that many games that were released this year, but these are my favorites (unless I’m forgetting something, which is likely), in alphabetical order:

• Astro Bot: Robot Rescue
  • Celeste
  • La-Mulana 2
  • Tetris Effect
  • ZeroRanger

Games I played this year that were released last year that otherwise would have made my list:

• Hollow Knight
  • Nier: Automata
  • Night in the Woods

I want to include Dragon Quest XI, because there’s a lot to like in that game. But it’s so generic, derivative, and incongruously visually repulsive in places. And it’s almost as if, instead of a game, they could have just made a comfortable blanket with a picture of a slime on it to serve the same purpose.

I sure hope Disaster Report 4 is localized.

Edit: Added a couple games that I had forgotten.

6 Likes

Looks like none of us played Iconoclasts!

I was this week!!

My list coming…soon hopefully.

Oh yeah that’s the one I forgot on the list of eagerly awaited prestigious "nah"s

iconoclasts is great!

Yeah it’s definitely great. Having trouble imagining it as a ‘prestige’ title tho - same with Celeste

I put it down during the brief side mission where you’re playing as the black lady with the rifle in the forest, it said I was about halfway through and I wasn’t really feeling it at that point, its whole approach to progression and hidden stuff felt extremely perfunctory. definitely a coherent, likable work from start to finish, but also very much Doing The Thing

feel like this is the first year post-ps2 where a huge “backlog” of stuff i want to play has crept up on me, at some point i’ll get around to dusk/deadfire/dead cells/zeroranger/into the breach

re: dqxi, i had the same experience as @zeno:

Turns out you are like the only person on the forum to talk about iconoclasts.

I have put about an hour into it. It uhhh yeah. It feels way too much like a job and if I had spent the 20 dollars on it earlier this year I would have been real mad.

The dialog, worldbuilding, and humor is all real eye-rolling too. I like pretty much every character more if there were no talking at all.

Expect a lot of fights on the deathcast.

Got pretty obsessed with Flipflop Solitaire earlier this year and other than that I’m not sure anything I’ve played was released this year. I can’t be bothered to start looking up release dates.

Oh, Gonner is pretty cool.

I finally played Uncharted 4 and I liked it, though maybe I’m done with that series despite what I’ve heard about the spinoff being a better entry.

Dragonball FighterZ is the first fightman in ages I’ve enjoyed.

Oh, Inside was pretty good! Especially that ending sequence. I was deeply satisfied when I put down that controller.

Rime was superfluous if you’ve played any of its inspirations.

The average indie game on Itch is pretty meh, and I’ve started viciously pruning my list of games to play because eventually, a half hour here, a half hour there is going to see me an old man wondering where my youth went.

2 Likes

yeah I liked gonner quite a bit when I first tried it on PC, but I found the later worlds too challenging and walked away

I have it ahead of flinthook and a little ahead of tumbleseed but behind, say, downwell; it’s unique and difficult enough to have made an impression and isn’t too in love with its meta to be worthwhile, even though I’m afraid I can’t give it all the credit or deserves

Also I think I like Strafe more than Hard Reset