2 0 1 8

oh right you’re the person that likes Tumbleseed

1 Like

I thought the consensus around here was that Strafe doesn’t work very well as a roguelike and is less than the sum of its parts.

I’m not going to let the consensus stop me from enjoying my time with the game.

8 Likes

I’ve also heard that it’s improved a good bit since launch, and devolver have a really bad habit of launching games just early enough to forever damn them, even though I think people here questioned how much the publisher can affect that

mods

MODS

4 Likes

oh, since this is the topic at hand

if you put a gun to my head, GOTY is Tetris Effect

Tetris is the perfect game and the aesthetics wrapped around it in Effect are perfect therefore it is perfect squared

it’s so good it makes me forget that it has T-spins

2 Likes

Game of the year is playing Picross on Switch in bed in the dark. Runner up is playing that Konami Picross on the toilet in the dark while shitting my guts out.

9 Likes

my game of the year is watching other people do the re7 kitchen vr demo

2 Likes

rip 2018

(2018-2018) :sob:

2 Likes

Dead Cells is really pretty darn good moment to moment and has varied enough playstyles that I have a hard time calling it actively bad. Even the reliance on unlocks isn’t as bad as other roguelites because there’s enough stuff in the pile at any given time, ala necrodancer. The rune progression is a little dumb and the bosses are unbalanced but the game does basically feel good.

agreed but the solid momentum wasnt enough to carry it for me. wep modifiers didnt feel real meaningful to me, more small differences between builds, but maybe i didnt play enough

I like really onerous movement and having lots of powerups! I did feel like the level design was unrewarding past a point.

I’m not one to talk but I couldn’t get over the overtly cruel wall of control scheme and enemy design & traps; in several hours over a few weeks I don’t think I got to more than 2 flags? I spent a while thinking it was me before deciding, maybe this isn’t actually a good idea for a game and I’m not really getting the marble maze feeling I was hoping for.

I could see a version of this structured more like Snake Pass succeeding: test and stretch out your movement vocabulary with light optional challenge in micro-levels. But I was seeing the much the same enemies and environments and the abilities were underwhelming in the way minimalist designers approach roguelikes (Below suffers from this) and it undercuts the structure they’ve adopted.

Seriously you go roguelike you gotta have the goofy overpowered stuff in there and dole it out generously. I build that but hid it far too deep in Galak-Z (that Doom super-shotgun was my own little treasure) but the roguelike Shadow of War DLC is –

well I have to check out before I complain about compatriots in a gross way

Yeah I don’t think there’s anything inherently wrong with the structure of Tumbleseed, I just think the pace of the game makes it unpalatable with that structure. There are plenty of brutally hard repetitive games that skimp on powerups, but to make them engaging they’re either quick to play (i.e. you get in a flow) or quick to restart. Tumbleseed’s moment-to-moment is a stressful slog that you don’t want to repeat.

The HD rumble feels really nice on the Switch version though!

2 Likes

did anyone play dusk yet?

Yeah, I played through Dust this week! I think Act I is a little too straightforward, but it picks up from Act II onward. It does a pretty good job being a Quake-like, even if it could stand to differentiate itself more. It leans into horror a little more than Quake with its flashlight mechanic, and I think it’s largely successful there.

There are perhaps a few too many wide-open arena-style levels for my taste. Feels a bit like certain Doom 2 levels, or maybe Serious Sam in those parts, while I prefer the maze-like Quake levels more.

The game has a lot of cute flourishes. You can press the reload button to spin your guns, despite it not doing anything. And while in midair, your vertical rotation is unclamped, so you can flip upside-down and shoot things behind you.

I had a lot of fun with it, but it ended up being a little more restrained than I was expecting/wanting. Some levels are fantastic and extremely memorable, but the rest sort of blend together by the end.

2 Likes

got orochi4 for christmas, so that’s +1 for 2018. does the steam katamari reroll release count?..
but, after all, i technically didn’t play much that has actually been released in 2018, aside from… uh, Horizon4, EDF5 and the SotC-remake?.. ah, OK, forgot Detroit ‘press X for emotions’ BC.

from years before: Horizon3, Forza7, PrjCars2, Nier2 again, finished Last Guardian, played lots of EDF4.1 and Warriors Orochi 3 in co-op… that’s bascially it.

Horizon4 wins it by default then… another reason i am looking forward to 2019!

It seems there’s a ton of stuff I haven’t played this year but I want to.
Was I always falling behind so quickly or is it a recent thing?

On one hand, this makes picking my GOTY pretty easy, I guess. It has to be Cultist Simulator. More than worthy on its own, but idk considering the competition.

I had a good, pleasant time with Yonder, The Cloud Catcher Chronicles, but I wouldn’t recommend it around here.

I guess I finished The Witcher 3, and that was really good. Doesn’t count though.

I said earlier that I’d get on monhun pc but I didn’t (part of my excuse is that my pc can’t run it I guess) I also want to play RDR2, FighterZ, DQXI, Tetris Effect, Octopath etc…

I have absolutely zero interest in Celeste (and I find the resolution-mixing graphics pretty gross) but it’s getting accolades left and right which makes me wonder if there’s something worth checking out in there. Maybe some day

Was expecting to pick up Obra Dinn at a sale, but no sale this year it seems…

1 Like

best:
dragon ball fighterz
forza horizon 4 playing for 3 hours

worst:
rdr2 for 30 hours
monster hunter: world for 40 hours

2 Likes

thinking on it I would probably rather have the entire top 5 as tied, they’re all very good in different ways