Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Finished my fourth dungeon last night. Trying to decide if I want to go for Ganon or find more shrines.

I could wreck Ganon at this point

Go wreck him! Also, have you gotten all of the memories??

Nope! I have 6 left

Does getting all the memories unlock something? I found it kind of tedious to search out all those spots.

Personally I found that questline to be very rewarding! The story isnā€™t likeā€¦ ā€œgoodā€ā€¦ but as a conceptual/formal element of the game I think itā€™s super satisfying and important (and I enjoyed finding them a lot, it almost reminded me of the secret puzzles in The Witness).

I think the ending is different if you get all of them, but I havenā€™t seen how it is otherwise.

If youā€™re having trouble, hereā€™s a hint about one: thereā€™s one in Hyrule castle

3 Likes

After playing through Great Plateau back at launch I set this aside until the promised Hard mode. Woke up at 5 this morning from a chirping cat, checked for updates, downloaded the DLC, and got started.

This is exactly what I want. Itā€™s hard enough that I need to use every resource and survival tool available; I scope out the smallest Bokoblin camp and think about approaches before starting; Iā€™m forced to take every clever encounter tool they build in. Iā€™ve climbed the backside of a cliff to sneak up to a treasure chest because I couldnā€™t deal with the black Bokoblin guarding it. I ran away from a black Lynel hanging out in the beech forest! (the woodsman should really take care of that)

Stolen weapons donā€™t last one enemy; if I grab a Boko club I get about 70% of the way through a Bokoblin. Tree branches get me about 20% through. Swords are much better and can take care of 2-4 Bokoblins. Enemies also regenerate; after about 5 seconds(!), at about 5%/sec. So using the Skull cave bomb trap, I deal about 80% damage to the two blue Bokoblins and 30% to the black one, I have to run in and try to wreck the blue guys before the black one oneshots me from behind.

Lot of finding scenarios Iā€™ll return to later, creating a textured push-pull of exploration you only get when the difficultyā€™s cranked up in something like Dark Souls or a *-Shock game.

6 Likes

Iā€™d kind of written off the Zelda series after Twilight Princess, though that game had its moments (such as the Cave of Ordeals and that one dungeon where you ride the Spinner along the tracks).

But after getting a Wii U with Breath of the Wild from a friend who had highly recommended the game, I decided to try it out. And I have been playing it way too late every night.

As Felix mentioned, I like that you never need to worry about whether you have a required tool yet for a puzzle.

I also like just exploring the world aimlessly and coming across surprises. Because I havenā€™t really bothered following roads, Iā€™ve discovered some things later than I might have otherwise, such as what to do with all of the seeds Iā€™d been finding. And I just got the camera last night after repeatedly visiting and the wrong tower and wondering what I was missing. I stumbled upon and revived all three great fairies very early on, though.

I have not done any of the major dungeons yet, and Iā€™m in no big hurry to do so.

Ahem. :wink:

1 Like

Well, I also found the horse one, if thatā€™s what you mean.

One thing I found amusing is that because you can climb anything, the best they could come up with for the edge of the world was a pop-up error message.

Shadow of Destiny at least used a dog.

1 Like

The Master Mode is incredible so far. Just got off the plateau - had to resort to knocking Bokoblins off cliffs with bombs because none of my weapons could handle them. Also shot a beehive to distract an archer that was trying to murder me. Thereā€™s a fucking Lynel in the first area!!

Itā€™s really making me go stealth a lot more, and Iā€™m running away from lots of conflicts simply because I donā€™t have the tools yet. Itā€™s a nice change to have to rethink the strategies I established before since they donā€™t work here.

Also foraging a lot more food, since I basically have to heal at every hit.

Loving it.

1 Like

3 Likes

wait, how did they fuck this up again

1 Like

good game

I saw a big dark patch on the map and glided in to explore it. And it turned out to be one of my favorite things in the game so far. I also found the Lost Woods right after that but I was not able to take the sword.

I have not been able to find any of the memories yet. I saw that horse statue very early on but I have no idea where it was.

I have felled the four beasts and am thinking about making an attempt on Ganon now to see the rest of the story, and then restarting a new game on master mode and making that my main file to dive deep on the rest of it.

I really like just exploring the landscape but everything is just a tad too easy. I know master mode would make every boss killed or heart container obtained actually meaningful and make the exploration itself into just as much of a challenge. But I still want to ā€œfinishā€ this save file first in some way, so I hope Iā€™m strong enough to defeat Ganon.

My plan is to try out Master Mode and all the other little features of DLC1 when they release DLC2. Will hopefully be enough new stuff then to keep things fresh.

This is absolutely the correct plan. I couldnā€™t hold myself back from continuing to play back in March, so now Iā€™ve pumped like 130 hours into my normal difficulty save file and am loathe to do it all again on hard :frowning:

1 Like

I smashed ganon a few days ago after aboutā€¦40 hours? Jumped into Hard Mode right after and yeah, itā€™s been good. Iā€™ve already found one shrine I hadnā€™t encountered before, and the difficulty jump is great.

i beat every shrine before the DLC was announced :grimacing:

iā€™ll definitely play it again when DLC #2 drops later this year but i sure as heck wonā€™t be doing that again

Iā€™ve done almost half the shrines! I will totally do them all over again though just for that tunic of the wild! because it just wouldnā€™t be a Zelda game without it right.

I just got home and am going to attempt Ganon tonight. I need to gather some ingredients and make some meals first though because I am plumb out of everything.