Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I think about this every time I see or remember an image of early Zelda 64 development:

And I wanna play it real bad.

Has an indie studio set out to do this instead of just making more post-Ocarina-style Zeldaventures?

2 Likes

I stopped playing Skyward Sword early on because I genuinely didnā€™t have patience for 1) how slow the text scrolled and 2) how much fucking text there was.

I was kinda into the first dungeon, but just found it so tedious otherwise.

The prize you get for 120 shrines is pretty sweet! Showing up at the final battle with that and the Master Sword and Hylian Shield was very satisfying! Also, easy!

I really like that you can approach Hyrule Castle from so many different angles, literally and figuratively. My trip through was hilariously brief, since thereā€™s a waterfall conveniently placed near that start that it turns out lets you skip like 90% of it. Whoops!

The most memorable part was definitely the first several hours but overall, this is a good-ass video game. Will definitely get the DLC, and probably take a stab at a ā€œlow-levelā€ run sometime.

Been playing this for nearly 100 hours and only just found out that you can buy a house and help build a village

I just registered a horse at the Rito stable that I just caught and tamed. Itā€™s a brown horse with a white main, tail and feet. I named it Griselda which is a German name which means ā€œdark battleā€ or ā€œgrey battleā€ depending on who you talk to, and is the longhand form of the name Zelda.

Iā€™m so clever. I named my horse Zelda but-not-really.

Anyway this game is great!

I named my horses A, B, C, D, E, and F.

1 Like

Youā€™re such a goddamn techie

1 Like

I believe you!

1 Like

I named mine Pantaloon because it looked like it was wearing underpants

1 Like

I just think itā€™s the game designersā€™ job to give color to their identikit Grand Theft Horses, not mine. Calling them letters accurately conveys how much actual personality they have.

I think the best format for this kind of thing is a procedural name generator letting you click a button to rotate among the options until you find one you like (along with text entry for the committed customizers, sure). Blizzard has that system for choosing your public-facing pseudonym in Hearthstone ā€“
two-word pairs like ā€œSuperPantsā€ ā€“ and Iā€™ve noticed a lot of people actually use them (was surprising to me, but presumably these are kids raised on real-name social media who never needed to create a pseudonym). Imagine how much more LARPy Dark Souls multiplayer would be if you had to pick your name from a generator like that.

Is this the sickest, most ruthless burn in select button history

1 Like

I wasnā€™t really intending it to be but sure I guess?

Hillary Clinton would name her horses numbers

Iā€™ll skulk back to r/neoliberal now and lick my wounds

2 Likes

iā€™m sorry, i donā€™t think itā€™s that weird a thing to do honest, for some reason mr mechanicalā€™s response just read as ice cold to me but now i donā€™t really know why

anyway, it made me laugh, so perhaps the real numbered horses were the friends we made along the way

3 Likes

Sending you positive vibes and some aloe vera Broco.

2 Likes

my third horse was white and smol so i named him prompto and thatā€™s my story

It looks better on a horse anyway

Good Game.

Iā€™ve been playing this for almost a week straight and I still havenā€™t gone to see Impa in Kakariko Village.

I almost have enough hearts to get the Master Sword!

Yā€™all play that Master Trial yet? I just beat the first segment of it. It was hard!! Of course, I also had to readjust to playing it after a bunch of Nier.

Itā€™s basically that island where they take your stuff, except more linear and with way less food.