Zelda: Breath of the Wild

If you don’t like Mario Galaxy that makes sense. I’d say they’re decidedly non-excellent at movement and feel, preferring a stabler, more consistent base, and have a nostalgic bent, but they’re superb at visuals and the very Nintendo ‘delightful discovery’ aspect demanded in modern Mario.

why does there have to be a narrative

I purified an extremely fucked up dragon on top of an ice mountain that I had to hold my fire rod to keep warm on, it ruled

then I recalled a memory with horrendous VA

3 Likes

the va is fucking out of control, i do not understand how it happened

it’s possible that a company that is both notorious for their obsessive quality assurance and has had charles martinet on the payroll for 20 years has some blind spots

3 Likes

I don’t understand why it doesn’t just have like a made up ico language or charlie brown teacher noises

yeah, or their old solution of a vocal grunt, indicating the speaker’s voice and emotion for the line. I don’t like voice acting in games but that’s a good compromise to shade in characters.

1 Like

I gotta stop trying to kill this lion guy

I can get him down to half health by abusing witch time then most of my 1h weapons are broken and it’s just not gonna happen but I want it so bad

This game does that all the time. Only a few Important Story cutscenes get the full shitty VA treatment.

I blame IGN for this

They def had different writers for the plot stuff than the NPC/sidequest stuff. There are some really funny bits and characters bursting with personality in the side content.

The best part of the memories is finding them. The actual reward (more bad plot) sucks. Zelda’s story is good on paper…

1 Like

HOT TIP: Attacking when riding on them doesn’t deplete durability.
HOT TIP2: If you’re in a grassy field when fighting them make good use of the updrafts when they shoot fire around.
HOT TIP3: A perfect arrow shot at their tiny faces will sometimes stun good (I think it might only be when they’re in some sort of attacking animation?)

Aside from the bad VA, the memories make the past world feel ridiculously small. No sense of a bustling pre-apocalypse civilization, focused on just Link, Zelda and the Starfox crew – it’s difficult to distinguish from the present.

4 Likes

yeah this is exactly what i have written about

this is basically the best game, but i do wish it was a little better

I’m just assuming the “every NPC wants to bone link” thing was the result of some weird internal dev struggle

“OK, fine, if you’re going to reduce our mainline storytelling to the level of a low-budget kids’ cartoon, we are going to fuck up every single line of dialogue that doesn’t have to get voiced”

anyway it’s fine basically because it’s still nintendo playing to their (rediscovered against all odds) strengths and fucking up the thing they were already definitely bad at, it’s just funny that most notable open world games lately have been great mainly on the basis of the world design / lore / dialogue / storytelling and this is the exact opposite

anyway I actually have like 15 defense now so I’ll go find out just how bad one of the main “guardian” quests can be

I had read that but this one shoots ice!

oh you mean the breath, he only did that after the halfway point and it was hard to get there

Speaking of great random NPC dialogue: In the Zora city there is a fish lady that wants you to take a picture of a Lynel for her. Did anybody else try telling her that they did not understand her request? She’ll keep repeating it if you do but each time she does she’ll use simpler words for you until eventually she starts telling you in literal baby talk.
Another favourite are the transport trainers in Gerudo town. When you respond to them for the first time with a seal pun (which are ALL and the only options) they’ll wonder to themselves if this is the new hip slang that they’re not caught up on. Every future dialogue with them will then have them using similarly awful seal puns every other sentence.

I don’t think I’ve seen anybody anywhere mention that this game also has the most adorable video game children running around that I’ve ever seen.

4 Likes

I seriously dig how snarky Link’s dialog choices are.

Worth noting (and probably mentioned earlier) is that you can now download nine different voice language options while I believe keeping the subtitles in english. You won’t get a fake Ico language but like, I speak about as much of that as I do of russian, so…

Also after so many dozens of hours I finally figured out how to get rid of some of those darn thorns.

I figured that out a couple hours ago when a patch that was stumping me (on a little island near zoraland tower) juuust barely overlapped with a patch of regular grass and I went “aha!”

some ace design there, also good thing I got that one rod when I did

ganon hacked hyrules drones. zelda should of practiced better infosec

5 Likes