Zelda: Breath of the Wild

There’s a shrine near the first stable you’re likely to encounter that is surrounded by impassable spikey things. It’s in a shallow pond. I forgot I had ice powers so I climbed a mountain then flew in. Pretty great

2 Likes

See, that is how I dealt with the thorns each time up until now (jumping off of high places often very far away). This time was the same, except that I had to also blow up a destructible wall. In doing so I accidentally started a chain reaction that solved the problem.

1 Like

the parts of this that are way too on the nose w/r/t modern technology (like link’s fucking iPhone camera that he shows people in quest dialogs) are generally not as awkward as you’d expect. insofar as the storytelling in this is pretty poor compared to the rest of it, they mostly get away with the props.

I like the memory cutscenes that have a good focus on Zelda herself. It’s fun watching her just nerd out whatever has her attention at the time. Narratively they’re kinda whatever.

OK yeah the divine beast quests only barely hold attention, they’re dangerously close to aughts zelda at any given time

After the Zora one, they feel much more brief, if it’s any consolation.

1 Like

I thought the divine beasts were… fine. Neither exceptionally good nor bad. Just there. I also parceled them out very slowly and mostly only did them if i happened to be in the area and felt like it.
Do the birb one ASAP.

i liked that they were like giant puzzle boxes you were inside of, and that there was a really tiny focus on enemies

5 Likes

going directly from zoraland to goronland is absolutely the least enthusiastic I have been about this game

but having said that, I think I’ve already played it for a very impeccably dense ten hours and I don’t think they’ve totally undermined what they’re doing elsewhere, it’s just a reminder of how bad recent Zelda Games are compared to this

I’m not really sure what I want it to do next though? I killed a lynel and I’m definitely feeling the comment about how it appears to have exhausted its design by the mid game, so I’m glad to hear that turns out not to be the case

There are weirder things around the periphery of the map. If you haven’t yet, consider checking out the islands.

yeah actually I take back my minor complaint, the northeastern areas are really cool

what the hell I can’t name my horse Ol’ Smokey

I named my horse Uma Thurman (馬 サーマン)

7 Likes

I can’t tell if the names aren’t family friendly enough for nintendo or it’s a glitch

I guess it won’t let me type anything in

right click to simulate pen entry

I mean I can type things in but then the guy just keeps telling me to give the horse a proper name and it goes back to the name entry thing all over

possible that’s an emulation bug but it’s weirdly specific, idk if user-input strings are weird somehow as far as the wiiU is concerned

I wasn’t able to finish the zora dungeon because the shaders in there are very broken and seizure-inducing in the emulation right now but apparently it’s just that one and I can go back whenever

I found the mr. sword

by one of the best parts of this game is encountering a confusing new challenge and immediately thinking “I must not have the key for this gate” yet you always do. such an overdue inversion of Zelda.

6 Likes