Wolfenstein

naw that’s actually the right answer, especially if you happen to be on a 1440p display so 720p is cleanly pixel doubled

gammer laptops are really just intractable though. get a playstation

1 Like

I still need to build a new computer myself but using it for hot graphix in games is less and less of a factor these days.

I think it’s a much better solution on a TV than a computer monitor, but it’s a very good solution on a TV (especially when the real problem it’s solving is frame drops with no user input required).

So uh turns out one of your options after PLOT happens brings back one of the movement deals from Syndicate and more fully realizes it as a combat option/gives you environments in which it can sometimes make a tactical difference in ways it did not in its prior incarnation so that’s cool

there have been a lot of “difficult” designs from the late aughts that have been vastly better realized in the past few years

not accounting for the financial and creative decisions that led to this happening, it’s actually become a lot less demanding to be a fan of these sorts of titles? which is great, if not as necessarily intriguing from a critical perspective

Back when I played the “original” part of the new Wolfenstein series, I went in with few expectations beyond some gratifyingly themed video game murder that would likely present a standard pop culture version of Nazism as an isolated incomprehensible evil to be stopped by heroic American troops. What it turned out to be, though, was a very thoughtful story of resistance to a more modern Nazism, a banding together of oppressed categories swamped by an American culture that very deliberately and pointedly doesn’t seem to have diverged all that much from real world America. The New Order uses its readable newspaper clippings to tell the story of a relatively seamless incorporation of American culture into the culture of the Nazi Party. 20th Century American history progresses much as it had in reality, just in German. It even takes the format of American nuclear strike apologism and turns it back on the US, with articles discussing the “need” for the bomb and how many lives it saved in negotiating US surrender.

In contrast to this, the resistance reveals the Nazis’ inability to wipe out the weak and the different. The situation is desperate, but the downtrodden are never fully defeated. The resistance is made up of the racial minorities suffering the most under Nazism; the disabled and the women whose part in Nazi culture is as a seized child bearing industry, never fully human.

The pulp and absurdity of it all covers up a priority in discussing the idea that western culture created Nazism and has always been just so close to sympathising with it. Period piece scenes of psychedelic drug taking with Jimi Hendrix give way to him arguing that, to Black America, any given US soldier is no different to a German one, and that the political priorities of White America has always been as White supremacist as Nazism itself. In the sequel “wholesome” traditional American culture – milkshakes, cheery parades and the burgeoning entertainment industry – all continue unabated, existing side by side with Nazi commandants, secret police and death squads. Nazis walk the streets prepping KKK members for maintaining their rule over America and scenes show that America was full of people ready for the brutal reinstatement of slavery with or without the intervention of Nazism. All of this too echoes the assistance the US provided to fleeing Nazis at the fall of the regime in reality and the core of the argument made is that the western world has never truly been too far from this kind of rehabilitation.

1 Like

Hitler’s cardinal sin, what united “the world” against him, was that he tried to do to Western Europe what Western Europe had been doing to Africa, India, Asia and the Americas for the last thousand years or so. He tried to colonize them.

4 Likes

that’s a little obvious don’t you think

There are people who think that Hitler’s motivations were literally just that he was an evil bad crazy person who somehow tricked an entire country into following him.

I’ve never seen the concept of colonization applied to what Hitler did so I don’t think it’s that obvious. I mean in hindsight it is but that’s not the narrative that usually gets passed around talking about WWII

I just did the courtroom battle and execution. The battle was a real trial (lol) and the checkpoint in the middle saved right as I was being killed but I persevered and managed to come back from it during the split second before death without having to restart the whole thing (though I probably might as well have considering the number of times I died. Anyway I really like that story twist! I chose to take the leg extension upgrade and during the replay I think I’ll take that battle charger thing that lets you ram through stuff while running.

The vault unlocks Tuesday but someone managed to noclip through the in-game location to get an idea of what’s in there. I only glanced over what was revealed but I did notice there is apparently going to be an arcade mode of sorts, presumably like with Doom and that sounds pretty cool to me.

You can get the other upgrades by playing certain assassination missions

Yeah I just saw that as a tip on the load screen. That’s pretty nice. I’m still replaying it anyway to see the Fergus scenes.

Shrug I hope you’re ready to take on my high score list in these combat challenges.

I played New Order last month to prep for this game, but I was going to give it some time before I bought this one so I could let New Order settle in my brain first. But you guys are so danged persuasive, you got me hype and now I gotta play it!

You can run into a man so hard that the man is liquefied.

The liquefied man is also a Nazi.

8 Likes

I couldn’t recommend it- not unless you really, really enjoyed The New Order.

I’m sorry to hear that, cuz I… already bought it!

But I did like The New Order a lot, and by all accounts this one is a big jump ahead.

y u succ @ games bro