Wolfenstein

BJ is not a juggalo, but he is #1 with juggalos.

I did not recognize Debra Wilson. What a great cast!

2 Likes

yeah, the cast is terrific. Wasn’t expecting the hub to be nearly so much fun to wander around.

I think it’s because idtech 6’s vulkan renderer doesn’t seem to respect the vsync settings in the nvidia configuration – since I got this GPU + gsync display I’ve been following the advice that you should set vsync to “fast” in the driver settings and always off in-game in order to avoid tearing when the game’s framerate exceeds 120hz or 144hz but still not add unnecessary frame delay, and it actually is tearing outside of cutscenes for me in some really easy-to-render interior scenes in the hub.

i swear i read that nvidia fast sync is totally broken at the moment

that is likely, I also reverted to a late 2016 driver because my gpu was really unstable with most of the past few months’ releases (I assumed it was the overclock but now I’m doubting that)

Beat this. Took about 14 hours and I only tried out one of the assassination missions before it felt like unnecessary padding. You return to the sub post-credits and are encouraged to complete them so I’ll save them for later in the hopes there’s an extra epilogue or something. I certainly don’t feel like I took in enough of the submarine on this initial run so I’ll save that for another playthrough. I suspect the difficulty is balanced around Bring it on!, does anyone know exactly what the difficulty levels modify?

Tonally this is so different from the last two games I’m not sure how it sits with me. The ending is really solid in any case and I look forward to Wolfenstein III: The New Dimension. The vault unlocks on the 7th, I’m curious to see how The Freedom Chronicles is going to tie into all of this. I have a suspicion they’re informed by the ending.

Had to tap outta watching this thing, the delivery’s just too lumpen to not be annoying

Not quite boilerplate shootman, though not for lack of boilerplates, but

i’m still only a handful of hours in, but it already does feel quite different in terms of tone, pacing, and in particular the way areas feel connected. you hold a key to exit a level, which seems like an oldschool touch and not necessarily an unwelcome one, but the last two games seemed to have a bit of a smoother flow…?

it’s gorgeous and feels incredibly good to play and there is still richness and human warmth, especially in the little moments of hub/sub dialogue. will see how i feel about all that once i finish…

This is occasionally Titanfall 2 levels of gobsmacking setpieces, too. It keeps ratcheting up. I love every character.

1 Like

Is the last two Nuwolf and The Old Blood or are we talking about the Ravensoft game that I think is still canon?

The New Order also did this, with the same (Exit level) prompt. No idea about 2009 'stein.

New Order and Old Blood, yeah.

why don’t i remember the “exit level” prompt even being a thing in the new order?

not so sure you’re right about that, but if you are i feel like it was more hidden…?

HE RIDES THE HOG.

D:

1 Like

I’m honestly surprised at the new direction their design priorities have taken. I’m disappointed by the padding like the collectibles and recycling areas but at least they’re completely optional. Even the perk system now is so unintrusive they may as well have hidden it.

The most astonishing thing on the whole is how this plays more like a shooter from the late 90s or early 2000s. It feels like a post-F.E.A.R. game, what with the encouraged mobility in addition to having to be mindful of your bodily sense within the level accounting for cover, punishingly low damage threshold you have (armour being the major resource priority) and huge amounts of violent feedback. Also getting to hear slightly more detailed enemy communications during firefights. I wasn’t sure how it’d feel to fight supersoldats that were weaker than in the first and second game (Have you figured out you can stealth kill them too?), but they’re a lot more agile and armed to the teeth, they just plain feel a lot better to contend with in any case. The new humanoid robots are probably the biggest sign of these new design shifts, they’d be completely unmanageable in the previous titles.

I feel like it really speeks to a newfound confidence on the part of MachineGames, it’s pretty exciting.

1 Like

Your memory fails you.

TNC actually does it slightly better in that the prompt says the thing you do and “(Exit level)” beneath it, for instance, [E] Enter Escape Pod (Exit level).

1 Like

It feels real good to get knocked over in this game.

4 Likes

The Dog Days factor.