Wolfenstein

I woke up way too early this morning thanks to a high blood sugar so I played through the first level before work.

Truly remarkable wheelchairing and baddadding.

2 Likes

I had this problem in Doom, too. Sounds like the same engine to me!

what is with these recent bethesda games only giving you like 10 save slots, that doesnā€™t work for me

2 Likes

Dracko, youā€™re a bloodpotion machine

The difficulty select screen alone disposes me favourably to this vidcon though I swore I would never play a trad mouse/keys fps again

Thereā€™s more than in the first two games and it kind of confused me, since thereā€™s two medium settings alone. I just went with hard, which I think is titled Do or die! and itā€™s quite challenging so I have no idea how enjoyable the highest two are. Mein leben is supposed to be pernadeath too.

Iā€™ve gotten access to the Enigma machine. So far this feels like an improvement on all fronts. These sly fuckers have sneaked in an actual shooter within a narrative story-focused action-adventure this time round.

yah, Iā€™m on regular hard too, dying as much as Iā€™d like

I have recruited the black panther contingent living at the top of the empire state building atop the nuclear wasteland of new york

Game of the motherfucking year

6 Likes

Are there enough axes/hatchets lying around the world everywhere? Would you say B.J. is a real ā€œhatchet manā€*?

*I am truly sorry I promise to never again make an Insane Clown Posse reference in relation to Wolfenstein.

1 Like

Itā€™s the ā€œgame of the year,ā€ and the game of the year.

1 Like

Iā€™ve never understood the criticism that these games are tonally inconsistent

I love every minute of it

The collectibles really suck. I donā€™t want to pause in the middle of a firefight to read a letter from a Nazi Iā€™m probably in the process of murdering, to his wife and kids. Most of them are redundant padding for the obligation of cheevos and ā€œreplay valueā€ instead of serious efforts at worldbuilding, as embodied elsewhere. The notes are instantly forgettable pap, and theyā€™re everywhere. Like most every other game, sure, but why?

Also, unrelated, not fond of the perk system artificially making the game easier when I get stuck at some point (playing on Death Incarnate), making it feel like a grind instead of a challenge.

Iā€™m nearly to America and very eager to get off this boat, although the living hub was lovely. The game opens with three missions on a ship, which imo is a bit much.

you could just not read them? I actually like them, the tone is reliably gonzo and the writers were clearly having so much fun with them

the first three missions were also very different from one another

I did notice that points toward perks still accumulate when you die and retry but itā€™s such a small thing overall that it doesnā€™t really seem like the game is artificially taking challenge away from you? on hard mode I only wound up repeating most setpieces like 3-4 times at most though

When I got the heavy Lasergewehr I, of course, wanted to go through the next encounters using it as much as possible. One of the kinks it has is a limited battery that has to be recharged at certain wall outlets. The game really let loose on the enemies at this point and I was having fun and dying enough that, in no time at allā€¦ I had inadvertently maxed out the perk which doubled my heavy weapon capacity, thus negating the need for conservation and making it that much less interesting to use. It would be like a turret section where the turret simply stopped overheating if you failed it enough times so you could just hold the trigger down with impunity. Itā€™s kind of insulting.

More annoyingly, though, is that no matter what you do it constantly pops up the perk checklist notifications, which the first game didnā€™t do, and which really takes me out of the moment. I bought this $60 boutique cinematic FPS campaign to be nothing but in the moment for so many hours, and if I could pay extra for a mode to disable this crufty padding I would.

Itā€™s the same with the collectibles, which, regardless of their content, arenā€™t placed with regard to immersion or pacing (since they pause the game at usually tense moments to display a full-screen transcript, not even at least showing you a full rendition of the handwriting or something convincing, like in The Order: 1886), but just having some obligatory thing in every little dead-end alcove to pad the game length. And itā€™s hard to just ignore them since the game has the same error of the first one by making you mash E constantly for health and armor and ammo littered everywhere, with zero thought for placement or quantity, such that I donā€™t even know what Iā€™m picking up anymore and itā€™s almost pure posturing that the game doesnā€™t just have conventional regenerating health since it is this narrow. I wouldnā€™t mind the notes if it were a slower and more exploratory kind of game, like Dishonored, but the first three missions are nonstop frenetic CoD-style action, and any gap in the flow at all, anything that takes me out of the moment, really dulls the hype.

I do appreciate their presence in the hub levels where you just walk around and chat with your comrades, though.

I promise the lasergewehr still runs out later in the game with your ammo maxed

1 Like

Yeah, the perks in total donā€™t seem that dramatically altering, especially compared to DOOM 2016, which only makes me question their presence moreā€¦

Whatever, the game owns, Iā€™ll have more positive stuff to say about it no doubt as I get further along.

theyā€™re exceptionally inobtrusive from a cognitive perspective, yeah; even tno had semi-explicit trees to encourage you to vary your playstyle to get the later perks. these just sort of passively go up, which is actually less burdensome imo, since almost every player will actually use every weapon and some mix of shooting & stealth; you donā€™t necessarily need to be incentivized to focus on any of them individually because while BJā€™s moveset is diverse-ish itā€™s not actually that huge and thereā€™s a time and place for everything. I generally prefer the illusion of deus ex-style freedom ā€“ or at least having all those options but then being heavily constrained in what works on short notice ā€“ to the actual ā€œmultiple non-overlapping routesā€ design.

as for the visual overhead of the popups, fair enough. itā€™s not like wolfenstein is unwilling to be gamey though and I donā€™t necessarily see this one as requiring hud austerity the way a ueda game does.

also, please no spoilers here for a while everyone. the turns taken by the story and the range of the ensemble cast are a real joy so far.

Whoever made the sound effect for that massive lasergun had a fun time doing it

1 Like

Also extremely into the resistanceā€™s paisley fatigues

5 Likes