Wolfenstein

holy sweet goddamn this is good

and hilarious

can’t say it enough

the hitler scenes are high art

please please please please keep giving machinegames money

1 Like

seriously, I cannot recommend strongly enough that anyone on the fence about this buy it right now

I’ve been running on pure nazi-killing joy for the past 48 hours

it’s a good length for a shooter too! at the rate it’s going I think I’ll probably finish it by monday or tuesday

1 Like

It’s a beautiful game

2 Likes

do you have to just start a whole new save if you want to play the other timeline and start from zero with the collectible shit. they could of at least gave you more than a handful of saves if they weren’t going to have a level select

I cannot get over how satisfying the dual assault rifles are in this game

1 Like
1 Like

5 Likes

This ruined New York reminds me of Crysis 3’s but actually realized as coherent level design that’s fun to play through.

1 Like

This game has a lot of specific personal cartharsis that I wasn’t expecting. I was thinking about the five personal games thread with another theme (physical disability/“new body” fantasy) and this fits perfectly in there with KRZ, Hyper Light Drifter, Mother 3, and Titanfall.

The cutscene with Sigrun confronting Grace was the best dramatic moment I’ve seen in a game in a long time.

2 Likes

I was really hoping that was going to happen and it totally exceeded my expectations when it did.

I’m not sure how near the end I am, it feels like this is probably the penultimate mission. have absolutely adored every minute of this

the ensemble hangouts by themselves are better than anything else at this level of narrative budget

one of my only real criticisms is that the difficulty in the second half is pretty inconsistent, you’re almost never ammo constrained anymore and venus specifically is easier than almost any other level in the game

BJ is so intensely relatable in this it hurts the teeth I don’t have anymore.

What if this is used by a bunch of developers as a model for thoughtful, humane storytells in gamz going forward?!

it won’t be

4 Likes

I went through the assassination missions, which entailed all half-dozen side ones too, and the game doesn’t even acknowledge it. Leaves something of a sour taste, which I’ll probably be over with by the time I attempt a playthrough with the other timeline and the vault unlocks.

Point being I wouldn’t bother with the post-credits content at all. It’s just completionist padding. I even had to farm some Enigma codes to access all the districts.

You can pick up the contraptions and whatever upgrades you missed first time round via the oberkommander missions. It’s a concession towards completionists, making sure there’s no permanently missable dinguses

Y’know, try to make sure nobody would figure to play the game twice

I’m seeing some feedback along the lines of this not being as well-rounded or complete of an experience as TNO which is a very common criticism of games produced at this approximate budget relative to last gen but so far I haven’t really found that to be the case at all. it’s a little lean in its scope but that simplified structure has so much richness to it and I found TNO’s level design to be so much more trepidatious (plus id tech 5 persisted way longer than it should’ve for how ugly it is)

Naw, I think this game is being criticized for being a single player FPS. There has been much talk about the sketchy AI, although most of that talk treats the AI of WOLFENSTEIN as an utterly unique thing with special expectation, as if there is an AI controlling the entire experience:: it doesn’t seem true. compared to things that have a multiplayer component, which it very purposely doesn’t, and being declared austere on that point without anyone ever saying so. I simply do not buy the idea that the gunplay is “not satisfying” (example: THUNK THUNK THUNK) bc holy shot this game readily accommodates a LOT of solutions to its puzzles

Man they show up behind you because they were there before and they hurt up close bc Wolfenstein bullets hurt way more up close. Is consistent

4 Likes

Yeah, it’s paced like a brisk CoD campaign and it’s twice as long as a CoD campaign so win/win in my book.

oh man this credits music

1 Like

what I thought was the next to last level was actually the last level which was fine given how brutal that last setpiece was. honestly I should get the season pass for this, I want them to keep at it as long as possible