videogame things you think about a lot (Part 1)

More emotionally affecting than any Oscar winning drama

5 Likes

a new one i will keep thinking about:

i was just reading the wiki for Aidyn Chronicles, the late period N64 rpg, and turns out the plot is just straight up ripped from Earthsea

" Noting that the RPG genre in particular needs a good narrative at its core, the developers hired Chris Klug (of TSR’s DragonQuest fame ) who hired Angela Ferraiolo as the scriptwriter and lead designer for the project. She devised a story built around the concept of a magical true name."

3 Likes

That was the first place I was introduced to the ‘true name’ concept and it immediately struck me as something primal to magic. Is the fantasy incarnation of it (knowing someone’s true name gives you magic power over them) derived from Earthsea?

1 Like

The flip blocks of Super Mario World remind me of 2 prong outlets.

How the ? Blocks only have a pulsating glow in the original Super Mario Bros.

2 Likes

Yes, while there are precursors and similar ideas in various mythologies and folk tales, Earthsea codified the idea of true name magic in fantasy fiction.

4 Likes

I thought a lot about Katamari Damacy while trying to get the Kintato-bear in the Ursa Major constellation.

The Prince’s true rival isn’t the dung beetle, it’s Kintaro. The Prince will never be the son of a proud parent like Kintaro was.

3 Likes

true name stuff is the core of the Rumplestiltskin tale

2 Likes

In Elfquest knowing someone’s true name means you absolutely must have sex with them no matter what you think of them.

2 Likes

Ganondorf is a handsome man

3 Likes

is there any part of elfquest that doesn’t involve elfs fucking?

how deus ex man has an augmentation creatively titled “punch through walls”

2 Likes

how a reputable developer should cash in and deliver on the promise of those fake fantasy puzzle game ads on facebook

I can always recognise Jamieson Price’s voice but it has such a pleasant timbre that I don’t begrudge it for temporarily breaking my immersion.

That part in Illbleed where you go to the « Killerman » section of the Illbleed theme park and there’s the mysterious serial killer known as Killerman on the loose, killing actual theme park staff

After showing a few deaths and establishing the characters, the game asks you to use your intellect and clues to deduct :

And you have to choose between 5 suspects:

• Jorg. Reporter for Amusement Topic Magazine. Researching Illbleed
  • Jason. Killerman section staff. Used to be a gymnast
  • Cunningham. Killerman section chief. Hot-headed and disturbed
  • Killerman. Illbleed’s enemy. Mysterious murderer
  • Player. You. Abnormality must have led you to buy this game

To prevent save scumming and build suspense the game only gives the answer a lot later, at the end of the chapter:

24 Likes

Namco museum volume 3 for ps1. I remember being too scared to approach the druaga cocktail cabinet. If only I had known about the secret room with another cabinet

5 Likes

if your fear prevents you from playing tower of druaga, it’s doing its job

7 Likes

When I went to an electronics recycling place to dispose of 4 boxes of obsolete junk, the guy was very happy for the first 30 seconds of rummaging through them, saying they’d take it all for free, and then when he hit upon the Wii Balance Board, a look of absolute disgust filled his face. He said that one would cost $20 to dispose of

15 Likes

For the life of me I can’t remember the title or author (even though I already successfully tracked it down), but one of my favorite fantasy series as a kid was a True Name fantasy which intersected the concept with financialized imperialism. The only magical true names were the ones extracted by torture from a fairie people on a remote archipelago, whereupon the fairie would immediately die. The more undiluted true names one possessed, the more powerful a wizard one was. True name power level was fractionalized the more people the name was shared with, so the source of wizards’ power was kept a closely guarded secret. With one name one was a single-talent genius, with two a polymath, with three a mage, with four a wizard, and with five one burned alive from the overwhelming power level (so of course sneaking up on a wizard and speaking a true name is used as an attack a couple of times in the story). The general population believed that wizard power (or geniuses’ intelligence) came from talent or education: the secrecy around true names also contributed to ignorance of the fact that it was an easily transferrable endowment arbitrarily monopolized by a rentier elite.

Anyway, it makes perfect sense that this was inspired by Le Guin. I should use this as a prompt to finally read Earthsea

7 Likes

Earthsea is one of the greatest sets of fantasy novels ever written.

4 Likes

oh yeah also

16 Likes