Twin Peaks

my favorite

and finally, a trailer for the new twin peaks:

2 Likes

In case anyone was interested here is an essay from the old twin peaks fan magazine “wrapped in plastic” that lays out the cooper dream theory for fire walk with me

2 Likes

[quote]Cooper’s Dream, Part 1: Chet Desmond

The prologue opens with a shot of a static-filled TV screen being smashed with a lead pipe. The next shot shows a body floating in Wind River and is subtitled “Teresa Banks.” These are the first images of Cooper‘s dream, but they are not figments of his imagination. Teresa Banks really was killed (as later dialogue in the film -and facts established in the series - confirm). As Cooper dreams, he envisions what must have happened to her the moments during and after her death.

Gordon Cole is shown in his Oregon office, ordering one of his two secretaries to “Get me Agent Chester Desmond on the phone!” As originally scripted, Cole is shown talking into a speaker-phone. By adding the two secretaries, Lynch changed this very simple scene into a slightly more complicated one. The appearance of the two secretaries, each of whom appears separately but performing the exact same action (walking forward from the right side of Cole’s desk, toward the right side of the camera and then off-screen) marks the first significant instance of doubling in the film. Their presence seems redundant - and noticeable. (Why does Cole need both of them?) The two secretaries are blonde and brunette, a scenario that often signifies duality in Lynch’s work. Lost Highway features the characters Alice and Renee; Mulholland Drive has Betty and Rita; Twin Peaks has Laura and Maddy. These blonde and brunette character-pairs arguably represent aspects of a single personality. Likewise, the appearance of the two secretaries, in the dreaming mind of Dale Cooper, signifies that one being (Cooper) could manifest as another (Chet Desmond).

Almost all of the Chet Desmond part of the dream is based on Cooper’s own memory. In other words, those events that Chet Desmond “experiences” are actually events that happened to Cooper. His dreaming subconscious has transformed himself into a new, slightly different, personality. It was really Cooper - not Desmond - who traveled to Deer Meadow with Sam Stanley. It was Cooper who confronted Sheriff Cable, viewed Teresa Banks‘s body, spoke with Irene at Hap’s, questioned Carl Rodd, and who, finally, was left stymied by the case. This was the story as it was originally scripted by Lynch and Engels. A dream interpretation of the prologue allows these scripted events to still be considered “reality” even though they are not explicitly depicted on screen. Instead, we see them represented through Cooper’s dreaming mind.

Lynch’s reconfiguration of the prologue employed a clever story-telling tactic. He managed to convey his original scripted concept (Cooper in Deer Meadow) but used a different actor (and different character) to do so. In short, he had it both ways.

The question arises as to why Cooper would dream himself as someone else. Why does he imagine himself as Chet Desmond? The film provides no explicit answer. Perhaps Cooper mentally re-created himself as Desmond because he knows that, in reality, he failed to solve the Banks murder and believes a different detective will have better luck. The dream is, in part, wish fulfillment - Cooper wants to solve the case. But, deep down, he knows that reality cannot be changed, that the insoluble nature of the case cannot be avoided. Just as Cooper failed in reality, so too will Desmond fail in the dream. Once Desmond fails, he is no longer necessary; Cooper’s restless, churning mind “erases” him. 6

But before that will happen, Cooper will “relive" the events of his trip to Deer Meadow through this different persona.

Desmond arrives in Deer Meadow by plane and meets Sam Stanley and Gordon Cole. Cole introduces Lil, who performs her “coded” dance. A blue rose is pinned to Lil’s dress. Desmond explains that he can’t tell Stanley what the blue rose means. Later, Stanley inquires about the blue rose when Desmond decides return to the trailer park. Cooper also mentions the blue rose in his message to Diane, where he describes the Teresa Banks investigation as one of “Cole’s ‘blue rose’ cases." Neither Cooper or Desmond offer any more information about the meaning of the blue rose, and it is not mentioned again in the film. It appears to be an aspect of only the prologue.

So what is the blue rose, and why is such an obvious mystery introduced but never resolved? Many believe its meaning is self-evident -a blue rose is an impossibility, something that cannot exist in nature. A “blue rose case," therefore, alerts the appropriate FBI investigator that they are dealing with a potential supernatural phenomena. Maybe so, but notice Desmond uses an interesting choice of words when talking to Stanley: He says he “can’t” tell Stanley what the blue rose means, not that he “won’t.” Desmond can’t tell what the rose means because he doesn’t know. The blue rose is merely a figment of Cooper‘s mind - a dream-invention that represents the impossibility of the case.

Cooper recognizes that the case potentially involves some sort of otherworldly phenomena, and so he introduces a symbol of this phenomena into the dream.

To Cooper, the blue rose could function as a subconscious alarm, something that will echo into the waking world and alert him to look beyond the rational. When Cooper travels to Twin Peaks, he is prepared to use unorthodox methods of investigation. His mind is open to all sorts of possibilities. Did his dream about a “blue rose" prepare him for this subsequent investigation? Maybe.

The pre-release draft of the script (which featured Cooper, rather than Desmond) makes no mention of the blue rose. Lil does not wear one, and Cooper does not speak about it with Stanley or mention it to Diane in his recorded report. The blue rose did not appear in the story until the prologue was changed to feature Chet Desmond. As a result, it can be considered a major clue to unlocking the mystery of the prologue. The unexplained and unresolved presence of the blue rose is one way Lynch signifies a dream world. The blue rose is but an artifact of a dreaming mind.

Desmond and Stanley arrive in Deer Meadow and confront Sheriff Cable. They gain access to Teresa Banks’s body and examine it. Desmond notices that Teresa‘s ring is not included with her personal effects. This is the first time the ring is mentioned in the story. The missing ring is critical and will dominate the rest of the prologue. Ostensibly, Cooper dreams of the missing ring because he could not locate it in “reality.” But more is going on here. Cooper intuits the importance of the ring. He may not have understood its importance during his visit to Deer Meadow, but in his dream he begins to deduce a deeper meaning. The ring becomes the focus of his dream as he “realizes” he needs to know more about it. Of course, he cannot escape “reality;” when he dreams of reaching for the ring (as Desmond does), he cannot grasp it. But finding and holding the ring is not as important as understanding it. And, as we will see, Cooper will come to learn crucial information about the ring before his dream is over.

Desmond and Stanley visit Hap’s Diner and speak with Irene. Another instance of doubling occurs when the old patron twice asks, “Are you talking about that little girl that was murdered?” Although the line is repeated in the film, it is spoken only once in both the pre-release and shooting drafts of the script. Lynch uses the line twice in the final edit to effectively reinforce the idea that “Cooper” is investigating the murder of “that little girl" for the second time.

Desmond and Stanley visit the Fat Trout Trailer Park and meet Carl Rodd, the property manager, who takes them to Teresa’s trailer. It is here that one of the most fascinating exchanges in the film occurs - an event that strongly suggests the characters are aspects of a dream. After Rodd gives each agent a cup of coffee, Stanley says, “We sure do need a good ‘wake-me-up’ don’t we Agent Desmond?” Desmond mutely looks at Stanley and offers no reply. Stanley repeats the line: “We sure do need a good ‘wake-me-up’ don’t we Agent Desmond?" This seems to shake Desmond out of his trance and he replies, “Yeah! We do, Sam." At this moment a number of unusual events take place. The film cuts to a point-of-view shot of an unidentified old woman entering Teresa’s trailer. Desmond asks her if she knew Teresa Banks. The old woman shivers and backs away. There is a shot of a nearby telephone pole accompanied by the Indian “whooping” noise. Rodd seems to go in to a trance and speaks some cryptic lines, “You see, I‘ve already gone places. I just want to stay where I am." Desmond appears puzzled, as if trying to understand what is happening, and why Rodd is suddenly behaving so strangely. But before any further inquiry is made, the scene ends. It is an abrupt transition. The scene doesn’t properly conclude; rather, it seems to cut off in the middle.

What happens here? Why do all these strange events happen at one specific moment? And why are they not further developed in the film? Stanley’s “wake-me-up” line seems to act as a trigger, as if Cooper’s dreaming mind is trying to wake itself up.

(The “wake-me-up” line is not part of the pre-release draft of the script; there, Stanley asks, “You really do like that coffee, don’t you Agent Cooper?" Rather than change the single word “Cooper” to “Desmond.” Lynch changed the entire line. The new version suggests the idea of a dreaming mind trying to wake itself.) Before Cooper can awaken, however, a different “consciousness” manifests itself within the dream. For the first time, a separate entity, distinct from Cooper’s mind, enters the dream and attempts to communicate.

In the TV series, Cooper exhibits a psychic ability to contact other beings (and other worlds) through dreams. He encounters Mike (the One-Armed Man), Bob, the Little Man From Another Place, Laura Palmer (and possibly the Giant) all through his dreaming subconscious. In Fire Walk With Me, he again receives messages from another, this time unidentified, being. The message, however, is unclear. Rodd appears to be channeling another consciousness. He is afraid and just wants to stay where he is. But why would he (or whoever is speaking) be afraid of leaving? One possibility is that Rodd exists only within Cooper’s dream. If Cooper awakens (as he almost did when Stanley spoke his lines) Rodd would cease to exist. Another possibility is that this consciousness wants Cooper to stay asleep, perhaps because Cooper has yet to learn important information.

We admit that there is not enough evidence to support any definite solution to this puzzling scene. Nor is it even certain Lynch knew what it meant. Co-writer Robert Engels recalls that the scene was “a real cool thing that happened.” It was “sort of scripted“ but “not in any draft… it sprung from Harry [Dean Stanton’s] and David’s friendship.” The scene is a perfect example of Lynch re-working and developing the material as he shot the film. Although the specific meaning of this scene may never be known, we believe the scene, when put in context with the other changes made between drafts of the script, strongly hints that a dream is taking place, that the dreamer (who may be Cooper) is on the verge of waking, and that someone or something is attempting to deliver a message before that waking can occur.

The dream continues as Desmond and Stanley confront Sheriff Cable about taking Teresa’s body back to Portland. After they secure the body, Stanley asks Desmond if he is going back to the trailer park for the blue rose. Desmond does not reply. Here, again, there is a mention of the blue rose. The rose and the ring are two recurring objects fraught with deeper meaning, yet never satisfactorily defined in the film. Could the two items be related? Stanley’s suggestion that Desmond is “going back” for the rose, coupled with Desmond’s eventual sighting of the ring, implies a connection. The film, however supplies no further information about this potential relationship.

Cooper’s dreaming mind could be equating the two items. In “reality” Cooper never found the ring, and in his dream it becomes an important and mysterious object. Like the blue rose, however, Cooper “can’t” say what the ring means. But he wants to find out - he wants to "go back for the blue rose.”

Desmond returns to the trailer park and alter a brief exchange with Rodd, he begins to look around. He seems drawn to a particular trailer. When he looks under it, he sees Teresa’s ring sitting on a small mound of dirt. He reaches for it, and the screen goes black.

This is a critical transition point in the dream. Although the shooting draft of the script describes Desmond as “disappearing” the image on screen freezes and then fades to black. Desmond does not physically disappear. In the dreaming mind of Dale Cooper, however, Desmond ceases to exist.

As we’ve mentioned before, it is difficult to discern why Cooper is experiencing this particular dream. It is obviously based on his own memories of investigating the Banks murder. But is Cooper dreaming to relive the case and this time solve it through a new persona? Or is he trying to escape from the memory of the failed investigation by retreating into an alternate identity? In the end it doesn’t really matter, because the Desmond character will not (and can not) solve the murder. Cooper’s restless, active mind either submits to the inevitable and erases Desmond; or his retreating, passive mind finally acknowledges his failure and no longer needs Desmond. But the Desmond persona has performed a crucial function. Through Desmond, Cooper has had a glimpse of the ring. This sighting opens a doorway into Cooper’s mind, allowing him at last to grasp a deeper meaning to the ring. Its appearance triggers the ending of the first part of the dream and the beginning of the second. As we will see, Cooper‘s dreaming mind will now be more receptive to critical information from otherworldly beings.

Desmond is gone, but the dream continues. After the screen fades to black, the film cuts to an establishing shot of Philadelphia, then quickly to the first appearance of Dale Cooper. Cooper enters the story almost as soon as Desmond disappears, reinforcing the idea they are the same character - Cooper has simply replaced Desmond.

Lynch now provides the first of his two most explicit clues that the prologue is a dream. Cooper says to Cole, “I’m worried about today because of that dream I told you about.” Cole looks a bit confused and unsure of what to say.

Cooper offers no further information. But this line, so early into Cooper’s appearance, is a clear signal that dreams play an important role in the story. Cooper‘s line is an important clue regarding the Chet Desmond / Deer Meadow sequence that just ended. It was all part of a dream - Cooper’s dream.

Cooper leaves Cole’s desk and stands in the hall before the closed-circuit security camera. He then walks into an adjacent room where he checks the image on the corresponding security monitor. Cooper repeats this behavior until, inexplicably, he sees himself on the security monitor. At this moment he is in two places at once. Cooper’s appearance in the security monitor is open to many interpretations, but, if this sequence is still part of a dream, it hints at the idea that Cooper is a “doubled presence” in the dream, that he has already appeared in the dream under the guise of Desmond.

When Cooper spoke with Cole, he never described his dream. The audience, like Cole, is waiting for him to say more.

Cooper says he’s worried and indicates his dream was important, but says nothing else. Of course, his subsequent behavior in front of the security camera implies he is either re-enacting, or acting upon, his dream. But nothing is certain in this part of the film.

Neither Cooper‘s announcement about his dream nor his doubled appearance were part of the pre-release draft of the script. These elements were added later, when the script was changed to accommodate Cooper’s new role. As Lynch re-worked the prologue, he added Cooper’s new dialogue to suggest that part of the film was actually a dream, then included a scene (the two Coopers) to evoke dream logic.[/quote]

5 Likes

Found out that Warren Frost (Doc Hayward, Mark Frost’s dad) passed last month. Wanted to embed the Hayward family scene in Missing Pieces but couldn’t dig up a copy.

Ed is so gorgeous

Big Ed is Dad for All

Still wearing that 1980 Olympic Levi’s Western Shirt. (I own the same shirt.)

1 Like

Seeing Ed and Nadine reminds me that we’ve never got a clear answer at where People Under the Stairs fits in the Twin Peaks multiverse. Alternate timeline where Ed and Nadine wonder into the black lodge?

1 Like

here’s how much of a nutcase I am, I just rewatched the series, and I watched the pilot on februrary 24th, the same day cooper enters twin peaks, then watched each episode on the day it takes place and just finished the other day.

it was the first time rewatching the bad episodes in a long time, I usually skip them. the diane keaton directed episode is definitely the nadir of the series, and a couple of the ones around it were trash but the rest weren’t too bad.

right after the evelyn marsh story mercifully concluded those ew photos of james hurley looking longingly at ghost laura and still holding his half heart necklace 25 years later wiped out any negative feeling I might have ever had about his character though.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting that essay parker. Is there a good site with other wrapped in plastic content?

Holy shit, I never realized that was them!

Only thing I’m aware of is this book that just came out

1 Like

there’s going to be another novel

will they ever let me go

Come on, I haven’t finished corkboard stringing the last one.

That EW article theorizes that much of the new season will involve a frozen-in-time version of the town of Twin Peaks that exists in good Cooper’s head in the Black Lodge. If I expected something narrative and not something Mulhulland Drive-y, I’d think they’re onto something.

either episode summaries or titles or something from the showtime site

part 1 & 2 are may 21st, 2 & 3 the week after but they’ll also apparently be available on some showtime streaming bullshit right after 1 & 2 air. kind of annoying all this time and then to get new twin peaks and then have to wait two weeks to catch up to new episodes again cause of the streaming thing, cause it’s not like I’m just not going to torrent them