Twin Peaks

what i appreciate about season 2 is it became damaging that all these grown folks were fucking highschool kids. s1 kinda bugged me with that. prolly gonna watch fire walk with me again soon.

7 Likes

did anyone see the twin peaks bluray box set thing had a special feature where david lynch talks to the palmer family in character. it’s really impressive and creepy how sheryl lee just flicks a switch and becomes a dead confused 17 year old girl again. sarah palmer says she’s alone, everyone ignores her, her house is falling apart and she likes to watch football :(. leland still denying his guilt from beyond the grave.

2 Likes

some things I liked in the book

• ben horne’s southern civil war victory is acknowledged as being fucked up and also been redone as jacoby having “guided him back to the historical truth”

• seems to delete the whole good ben horne story and puts him and audrey back at odds with each other and having been that way all along

• everything with deputy hawk. he talks about recieving his racist “tommy the hawk” nickname from white people in high school, talking to a therapist about going to alaska, his favorite book is fear and loathing on the campaign trail. he’s a way better character in the book than he ever was in the show.

• the norma/ed/nadine triangle is rewritten and norma and nadine get to be people with motivations

• carl rodd (harry dean stanton) was with the log lady and some other kid when they disappeared in the woods for a couple days a kids (when the log lady came back with her tattoo). the town where teresa banks was killed seems to be a lot closer to twin peaks now. think it was mentioned as being in the opposite corner of the state in the pilot.

I had fun reading/listening to Secret History. I listened to the audio book as I read along in the physical copy. It’s neat to look at, cool page layout and design. I’m not a super fan so I had to do some re-reading of wikis to remember stuff. Maybe some other stuff sticks out as silly, but:

Why is it some big mystery to decode the secret identity of the author when it’s just straight up just written in a devoted section? Some guys on reddit posited that maybe the entire dossier was fabricated by Gordon Cole as a test.

I just figured that was some storytelling license there. a mystery for the reader to follow along with even though I thought it pretty much gave itself away early just by the way they talk. but it’s hard to tell what in the book is a retcon, an error, misdirection on account of some elaborate puzzle, or mark frost just not giving a shit about twin peaks story minutiae. I mean it specifically describes pete, chess champion who helps coop in his chess match against windom earle as “a simple man, who plays checkers not chess.” after all the careful lining up of details with lewis and clark and the ufo shit, there’s a postcard norma sends to her parents (who aren’t the same as her parents in the show) that has all sorts of errors including when man landed on the moon. dr jacoby’s newspaper writer brother’s timeline seems to be all over the place. he’s writing articles when he’s a kid, he’s writing after he’s dead, he dies two different times, etc. at book signings frost kept specifically mentioning lana as being the miss twin peaks contest winner, when it was annie cause that’s when she was kidnapped by earle, both of whom the books seems to make no mention of at all, which made people think there’s something about two different timelines going on. but then later apparently he said “or at least runner-up” so maybe he’s just old and confused.

2 Likes
3 Likes

got this on vinyl for cutefriend as a birthday gift. xiu xiu is probably my favorite band, this record is really incredible, best halloween album OAT by a mile

I got to see them do that live before a screening of Firewalk with Me a couple weeks ago. Really cool stuff. It was free and at a museum so a bunch of kids and old ladies were there. Luckily they didn’t stick around.

Plus it’s hard not to love a band that did a song about a former SB poster.

“In the beginning, many years ago, Mark and I – as if lost in the wilderness – as it always is in the beginning, we seemed to find some mountain and we began the climb. And when we rounded the mountain we entered a deep forest, and going through the forest for a time the trees began to thin, and when we came out of the woods we discovered this small town called Twin Peaks. And we got to know many of the people in Twin Peaks and the people who visited Twin Peaks, and we discovered a mystery. And within this mystery were many other mysteries, and we discovered a world, and within this world there were other worlds. That’s how it started, and that’s what brings us here today, and the story continues.”

3 Likes

whoa

RIP Miguel Ferrer, only 61

6 Likes

No fucking way.

Shit that makes me so sad.

Whaaaaat nnnoooooooo :frowning:

i’ve been rewatching season 1 this week and albert was so cool :frowning:

1 Like

what the hell

this teaser’s got a shot in it that looks like something new

wonder if there’s even going to be anything like a real trailer. I think I like not having the first clue what this thing is going to be like better

the most annoying thing to me when rewatching the show now is especially in hidef how painfully obvious all outdoor scenes are in dry sunny california, it never really ever looks like the pilot again. even the movie which they went back to washington for was filmed in the summer and ends up looking closer to the series.

1 Like