Twin Peaks

i don’t think there needs to be a ~twist~ for this stuff to be intentional.

Heads up for avoiding roaming spoilers out there on the web. Apparently German TV aired episode 14 instead of 13 last night.

I thought you germans were always on time

4 Likes

the leaked episode would probably be dubbed wouldn’t it. I could probably hold off watching it if it showed up online if that’s the case. I really don’t want another interminable two week wait for a new episode

5 Likes

Oh shit, we have another 2 week wait?

I’m in agreement that, for the most part, there probably isn’t anything particularly twist-y or timey-wimey about the series. There is a theory that the stuff in the Mauve Zone takes place on October 2 (or whenver that important date was), and Dale got sent back in time a week and a half which is why he brain all fucked up (cuz his soul or mind is still in october 2 or something??). The theory was pretty well-supported by attempting to take into account what little date/time info the show has given, and I don’t mind beliveing it cuz it doesnt’ really change much (everythig’s still the same there’s just a more concrete “reason” for why everything is pointing toward that date). Other things, such as the Dougie-playing-ball scene, Diane’s clothes being weird, and some other minor continuity errors, I think are just the result of the editing room. I bet some of it is intentional, like Lynch wants to give us a disoriented sort of mood, while others are either accidental or more like, a byproduct of that mindset. Like, the Big Ed reflection stuff is obviously intentional, because it couldn’t have been filmed that way, sot he reflection must be done using special effects, which mean they obviously knew it didn’t match up when they did it. Similarly, stuff like the plane windows flashing, or the re-use of some Jacobi shots, are definitely done on purpose for a disorienting effect. My theory is that Lynch (and otehrs, but iirc he did most or all of the editing) took a konwingly cavalier attitude to continuity. Like maybe he decided to shuffle around some FBI stuff (namely moving the “Blue Rose” explanation many episodes later), realized there was a clothing mismatch, and decided it contributes to the disorientation anyway so fuck it :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s definitely something up with Audrey, though. Last episode I just thought she was in a troubling (but still grounded in reality) domestic situation, but last night’s episode definitely tipped the scale into not-quite-normal territory. I generally avoid this sort of fan theory, but it really ddoes seem like she’s in a dream, or a coma, or an alternate dimension lodge, or something. I get strong Waiting for Godot, or Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, or Dark City vibes (like, “The Roadhouse” is her “Shell Beach”). I can’t wait to see what’s up!

2 Likes

No, they’re’s saying we would have a 2-week wait if we jumped the gun on episode 14. I won’t be, either.

D’oh, I gotcha!

I haven’t been able to spot the Big Ed reflection issue on my fucking telephone, but I gather:

A)he’s gazing into a giant glass box and something spooky is happening.

B)Since the scene was chosen for the credits, some loops and nips and tucks were made to extend it.

I’m very in the B camp.

1 Like

I’m A), but by “something spooky” I don’t think it’s like, an important plot thing. Remember how in Season 2 people’s hands started randomly shaking as a portent of scary things to come? I think it’s just that. Sarah Palmer is having all sorts of weird shit, maybe Ed sees a weird reflection, that girl has a rash… it doesn’t necessarily “mean” anything in an important way, but I do think the reflection is like, actually a thing that’s happening diagetically (though it could ALSO be that they needed to extend the scene lol)

1 Like

I don’t think it’s editing because they went out of there way to make it happen while a car is passing in the background, and it’s only his reflection that “glitches,” not the car. he even seems to react to seeing it right afterwards and then shrug it off.

Hmmm, that sounds like something.

so was sarah palmer deliberately watching that short loop of boxing footage or was her tivo messing up? it built up a little horse is the white of the eyes atmosphere.

1 Like

I take it you’re not having the wild low end distortion from stan I mentioned earlier if you can hear the theme that clearly.

Big Ed’s reflection in the mirror was out of sync with his actions, and he noticed it, as he was eating his soup which suspiciously looked like ‘garmonbozia’

Sarah Palmer’s TV looping was not intentional (on her part), nor was it her Tivo messing up.

there is absolutely time fuckery happening. harbinger of things to come

this episode was extremely Kubrickian

2 Likes

OH. Random update for anyone interested:

I did in fact add Showtime to my cable subscription and cancel my Hulu (though I’ll still have it for another week). Sadly, it turns out I don’t have a device capable of running the “Showtime Anytime” app (my roomie just sold our Xbone last week dammit!). However, I watched the show on the actual Showtime channel on my TV, and IT WAS WAY BETTER THAN HULU.

The overall resolution may have been a bit lower, I feel like I noticed more grain. However, both the really brightly-lit Las Vegas scenes and the really dim scenes looked fine, no crushed blacks or blown-out brights.

1 Like

Sorry for not responding earlier, I see replies while I’m checking all my unread topics then forget about them by the time I’ve finished catching up on everything.

I concede that the theme song thing is just probably just my connection and/or hardware.

I don’t think the Ed thing is an editing thing though, it’s far too deliberate.

1 Like

9 Likes

gas stations at night time are existentially terrifying to me much like thinking about outerspace is. and sitting alone and old in one suspended in darkness while reality glitches on you seems horrifying. the scenes of the gas farm in the original pilot though, with those grey skies overhead, were always some of my favorites though

4 Likes