Twin Peaks

Really impressed with this despite the usual Lynch male-gaziness.

I feel like this is his magnum opus, tying together themes and ideas from his entire body of work. As mentioned earlier, episode 3 is a huge call back to Eraserhead, and one can see in Dark Coop the same kind of villainous toxic masculinity as Frank Booth and Bobby Peru.

Minor quibble: what the heck was Jacque Renault doing back from the dead and tending bar at the Bang Bang? Did he have a twin brother???

2 Likes

It was credited as another brother/family member, I think, yes.

Given the intense focus this series has on duality, it’s entirely likely this is possible.

Actually that’s a minor quibble of my own - the literal use of “doppelganger” in the script

My partner spotted a Bowie “cameo” I missed

???

Harry Goaz (Deputy Andy Brennan) said in an interview that Bowie was supposed to reprise his role as Phillip Jeffries but wasn’t able to make it.

That said it’s unusual that Phillip Jeffries seems to be one of the most important characters so far this season and is constantly mentioned by Bob-Dale. I really hope by some miracle Bowie was able to appear (Twin Peaks filmed from September 2015 to April 2016, Bowie died on January 2016).

2 Likes

Pay close attention when Cooper is in the box

the wait in-between episodes is gonna be awful, but at least it’ll give me a chance to rewatch old DL films and see ones i’ve never seen like Inland Empire & Eraserhead, which i guess, according to people i’ve talked to, seems crucial considering what we’ve all seen so far

Christ, there’s 16 more hours of this.

Imagine if it maintains this level of eerie tension and time-ravaged sadness. Imagine marathoning it.

I know people have joked about this evoking 90s FMV games but all the same. It’s stunning enough that the visual effects felt deeply uncomfortable rather than comical. This premiere reminded me of how vulnerable and uneasy point and click adventure games could make me feel. And how live-action ultimately added the uncanny into the mix.

11 Likes

the way the old show was sort of a riff on the Melodramatic Prime Time Soaps of the 80’s, this one could be a riff on a weird 90’s procedural horror point & click CD rom that some people weren’t sure actually existed

i watched all 4 episodes in a row last night, it’s quite a trip to process it all

1 Like

Just finished Ep 2. I’m trying to save a bit for later but yeah I’m gonna use the wait time to re-watch some of Twin Peaks, finally watch FWWM and the Missing Pieces, and then as many Lynch movies as I can stomach.

BTW, my favorite non-twin-peaks-lynch thing was the Rabbits series. I’m getting those vibes very occasionally from this show, where the sinister is placed right next to the mundane. Anyone else?

I’m amazed at how many things are callbacks or payoffs to obscure original series/FWWM/missing pieces bits:

• In Missing Pieces, Lucy is freaked out by the intercom.
  • In Missing Pieces, Sarah Palmer says, “It is happening again.”
  • Cooper tells Diane about the bunnies.
  • “I hope you’re the man they send to find me.”

I really appreciated how Lucy and Andy have gee whizzed away into utter strung out oddness, you can cut the sheer terror of dementia with a hatchet

1 Like

If one of those is a whole new albums worth of angelo stuff they haven’t been in any hurry to dole any of that out yet. score wise it’s been pretty silent.

I would think if bowie had been able to do his scenes that’s something they wouldn’t have kept a secret but who knows. If not I hope he hasn’t been awkwardly wrote out though. I’d rather the character be recasted, he sounds too important

I keep seeing people say they hear the The Arm sound in a couple different scenes but I listened and think they’re all full of it and it’s just some lynch drone noises.

I noticed a date on a document that says its 9/22 in part 4

1 Like

I like that they took out the bass out of the “Red Room”/s2 finale Black Lodge music, and reused the guitar lick/organ drone as a more subtle theme/motif

1 Like

yeah I loved when it played every single time for the black lodge quest pop up icon

5 Likes

High-level discussion of Fire Walk with Me, featuring special guest Adam Nayman who writes for Cinema Scope and The Ringer. I think this is a valuable use of your time if you’re interested in that film’s relationship to the series.

the glass box? i just went and watched this twice in a row and thought maybe i’d see bowie in the reflection on the glass or something, but i don’t see anything…

i kinda miss that there isn’t more music throughout but i get that they’re going for a thing. and when we see bobby for the first time and the original theme hits, that works particularly well.

1 Like