trading cards you like

I thought you were talking about Earth Defense Force the entire time :open_mouth:

setc may have linked the website, but ā€œEDHā€ stands for ā€œElder Dragon Highlanderā€; the Magic publisher refers to it as the Commander format. In this version of the game you play with a larger deck and a higher life total, no duplicates are permitted other than basic lands, and you designate a particular legendary creature as your ā€œcommanderā€, which imposes certain color-based restrictions on the cars you include in your deck. You can nearly always summon your commander as though it were in your hand, and after it dies you can resummon it at increased cost. If you can do enough damage with your commander, you can win the game early.

These rules combine to create a format with instances of higher variance, but the reliable accessibility of your legendary commander lends itself to really exploitative build-around-me decks that lean hard on gimmicks and the most unbalanced cards in Magicā€™s history.

1 Like

Pretty much. Is a more social ā€œsit with your friends to spend the evening playing spells and talkingā€ than 1vs1 Magic. Though of course there are groups that like to take these decks to ridiculous levels of competition.

At it best EDH games are good multiplayer sessions where you can see janky and unexpected interactions. At it worst is either ā€œour supertuned decks play the very same every single gameā€ or durdling for hours until someone manage to find the infinite combo in their decks.

Is a format I like but depends a lot on the people you are playing with.

2 Likes

Speaking of EDH, I really really like what they did with Mairsil. Definitely making a deck with this.

I donā€™t like the Commander ruleset specifically, but I really love the idea of 3-4 player Magic with less card restrictions. Probably my dream Magic format.

3 Likes

Marvel Masterpieces were so dope

I wanna marry this cutie

actually I was thinking of building my first EDH deck around her but I feel so awkward at my local game store because Iā€™m like ten years older than the bulk of the players and they treat me like Iā€™m their dad and behave the way they expect adults want them to behave instead of just behaving like teenagers

the judgesā€™ foil printing of it is also amazing: https://scryfall.com/card/j14/8

4 Likes

Yeah, thatā€™s probably an all time great and the more excuses to use the word ā€˜cenobiteā€™ the better imo

1 Like

Maybe the most (only?) positive thing that came from me trying to get into FFGā€™s L5R reboot, was being exposed to some of these weird old cards. Iā€™m really into the layouts of these old Scorpion cards.

2 Likes

Realized today while looking around for good basic lands for my work in progress Eldrazi Pauper deck that Rise of the Eldrazi basic lands stitch together into a panorama and they look really good: https://scryfall.com/search?as=&order=&q=%2B%2B(t%3Abasic+t%3Aland)+e%3Aroe

3 Likes

what, no mention of the new mtg joke set with an actually decent sense of mechanics humour

en_7XJZdPr4YP en_Cp1NV3FToL

en_Y5sdEQ8JBJ en_PlRyuZOLzp

en_EjjDIgwBp7 en_Lm5q6mjeoJ

8 Likes

The last three are super cool. Rules Lawyer is my soul animal.

Kind of amazing that they made silver-bordered cards legal in Commander until the next banlist revision but I guess thereā€™s one way to ensure an Un-set sells this time around

1 Like

Iā€™m partial to the basic lands from Champions of Kamigawa, which do the same thing. I especially like the plains.

Also, I got to play Magic with @Rudie a few weeks ago. If I remember correctly, he won all but one of our matches. Itā€™s rare that I get to play at all these days, and itā€™s even more rare that anyone wants to play just normal games without worrying about which ā€œformatā€ your deck is in. I have no idea what format any of my decks are. They are simply old.

A year or so ago I tried ā€œEDH.ā€ Itā€™s a fun gimmick, I guess, but I got the impression that itā€™s more fun for those who have played a lot more than me and are just looking for some variety. I donā€™t think the game needs anything that introduces yet more randomness.

2 Likes

god what i missed the magic fuck

Rudie letā€™s play Magic when Iā€™m in Japan next summer, I was planning on bringing a pauper deck because paper pauper is getting huge in Japan

So Iā€™ve been watching GDC talks all day because I am prone to soaking my organs in sour despair and there were a couple MTG ones in the list

Can anyone give me a slapdash history of the state of the gameplay/meta/tech? Itā€™s been around for a while but that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s actually good, I have learned this about cultural produce okay

1 Like

all i know is that i started playing when Elvish Mystic was The Thing To Replace Birds (Sorta) and I stopped playing when Siege Rhino was The Thing

Edit: I know my opinion in particular wasnā€™t asked for, nor am I a magic veteran, but now that Iā€™ve returned to the game somewhat I think itā€™s funny that the game literally has automobiles and a second resource to manage

1 Like

oh hey i think i started playing a little later than you and also stopped at siege rhino

i donā€™t know how much i really have to say about it atm but when i played standard semi-competitively for a bit i found the game fairly beautiful