trading cards you like

https://selectbutton.s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/original/3X/f/4/f483b4c82f3b298279ac356a67f74eef1196155e.jpg

Also, Joven is this guy

Homelands was a good set.

2 Likes

Joven is my local gamestore owner

5 Likes

:genki:

3 Likes

When I was in high school, a friend and I would check the local comic book store for collectible card games that had fallen out of favor and had become heavily discounted, because those were the ones we could afford to play. We also played Magic, of course, but most of our cards were Fallen Empires because those were the cheap ones.

Some of the games we got to try for next to nothing included Rage, SimCity, and Hyborian Gates. The latter was the most amusing to us because it featured the art of Boris Vallejo with whatever captions the game designers could come up with. Here are a few of my favorites:

10 Likes

Man Rage was such a thing.

More recently (though I guess it’s been probably ten years now), I found that Hecatomb had become extremely cheap. It’s a horror-themed game with plastic pentagonal cards that had seemed promising but was originally very expensive. I picked up a lot of cards and convinced a couple friends to play once or twice, but they soon lost interest and returned to Magic exclusively.

(image source)

I would like to play this some more at some point, and you can still get relatively cheap boxes on eBay (though not quite as cheap as when I got mine).

2 Likes

Ahem.

4 Likes

1 Like

I really like the Shapeshifter creature class, and the theme of mirror copy that many of the illustrations have:

The original:

And last but not least, one of my most beloved cards:

I love the low key comedy of the Alpha art. In the face of ultimate existential horror, they’re just like, “Huh.”

Also, [cartoon trombone]:

2 Likes

I do have multiple Shadowfist decks but no one to play with. Some really nice cards in there.

3 Likes

imagine running four of these

9 Likes

The throwback they did in the second un-set is also pretty good:

2 Likes

Those are so horrifying. I used to sometimes play EDF with a dude who had a deck built around the top one that was designed to last forever and make everyone quit.

2 Likes

man edf people fuckin love doing shit like that

I love the idea of someone on the design team being obsessed with the thematic potential of “beneath a table being like a dungeon” and just willing this into existence.

3 Likes

What’s EDF?

edh

Same question what’s EDF/H

http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php