trading cards you like

i still have this somewhere

3 Likes

Honestly, I kinda really, really, didn’t like Arkham Horror the card game. It had almost every problem that Arkham Horror and Eldritch Horror had, except now you had a really middling TCG in the way of doing anything, often limiting your options in not fun ways.

On top of that, the game’s design makes it semi disposable since some of the tension is lost if you know what’s going to happen ahead of time. So you either have to make a deck blind to what is going to happen in a scenario, where you could be stuck with junk, or build a deck optimized for the scenario, and lose a lot of the game’s supposed appeal.

It is totally possible I’m missing something, but I really felt like I was just drawing cards, getting random ‘die rolls’ from the token bag, and I had very little it felt like I could chose from to do.

Haven’t played Arkham Horror or Eldritch Horror, but I like the deck aspect of Arkham Horror TCG, and I also like that failure is a big part of it. My experience with it wasn’t middling at all (and I took loads of joy in learning from my core campaign experience to build a deck with a new faction/character for the expansion). We didn’t succeed in the last scenario of the core campaign, but it didn’t feel like I was just waiting on one card in the remaining ten of the deck that would make a difference, it was just how the game played out based on our decisions to that point. Working with what you’ve drawn and making choices to the best of your ability is why I enjoy card games, and in Arkham’s case, you can always spend your actions to draw cards if you have nothing good to do.

I was playing with the core set Roland and building it out with my experience points based on what I felt it lacked or what it did best. There are only two core components of the game, researching and fighting, meaning that it’s not super complex to have a deck that’s good at one and can kinda do okay with another, but yeah, I was playing with another person and making group decisions based on our options was really fun in my case.

1 Like

I feel like it elided all the problems of its source games by having very narrativized/mostly-non-random scenarios (that and it takes maybe an hour to play through a scenario the first time)

But it has a lot of decision making (I wish I could be more specific but I only have the core game and I played through it ~6 months ago) within the constraints of a card game. Choices are more about leveraging what you do have than about waiting for an ideal hand; the characters’ unique abilities are the most important and reliable tools for playing the game effectively and you can mitigate just about all the randomness in the game with some of those abilities (that are always available). Its a game about knowing where to take an acceptable risk and where to play it safe. That combined with partial failure states being a part of the core campaign really gave it a nice vibe.

Its more like the Warhammer Adventure Card Game with locations than it is like arkham horror or eldritch horror.

3 Likes

Quick reminder that Netrunner is in a reeeeeally good place at the moment. The newly released revised core set removes a bunch of problem cards, and marks the first rotation of cards from the card pool. The card pool is defo too big still, but there are new formats, official (cache refresh: The big expansions + the latest cycle) and community based (modded format: latest data cycles + revised core set), which make the buy in a lot less daunting. The meta is diverse and interesting and as always, its community is unlike any game community (focused around a particular game) that I’ve ever been a member of. Incredibly welcoming, mature, and kind, at all levels of competition.

This message is brought to you by my favourite and most hideous/beautiful alt art card.
popup

quick edit… this card was just released:

5 Likes

I came pretty close to buying a set this week.

I guess the original core set will get harder and harder to get? Are there alternative means to getting the cards there?

The original core set was a really wonderfully designed thing in its own right, but for all intents and purposes, the revised core set is definitely the way to go if you’re thinking of getting into the game. The revised core set takes a bunch of cards from the original core set, and then takes a bunch of cards from the first two data cycles (i.e. it chooses the best cards from the original core set and from the first 12 twenty-card expansions, and all the other ~150 un-included cards cards have rotated out of legality). So going forward you’ll have all the legal cards from the original core set and all the legal cards from the first twelve expansions.

Also comparatively, the revised core set is a really well balanced and cool standalone game which is more representative of the diversity of factions and play styles than the original core set was.

But if you are set on getting the original core set, I’m sure a bunch of game shops will still be stocking it, as the revised is still recent enough. There are also folks selling on their collections every now and again (the ‘Netrunner Dorks’ facebook group is good for finding second hand sellers, and tbh, buying a second hand collection is a more affordable way to get into the game).

2 Likes

Yeah I kinda dislike the whole concept of cycling cards “out of legality” and I was hoping the living card game format would do away with that nonsense.

I mean, I get why it’s done, (card pool, metagame, selling packs, capitalism, yadda yadda…)
I just rather know that if I wanted to play “first era” Netrunner I could do it at any time without too much headache.

(I was planning on getting into the game via jinteki net in any case)

I get ya, but the cardpool was and kind of still is too big, and pretty much everyone in the community is happy about rotation (for making the meta fresh and exciting, but also because altho the lcg format will always be cheaper than booster packs, Netrunner is five years old and everyone is happier that a smaller card pool means an easier game to recommend for newcomers, cost wise but also knowledge wise). Tournament legality is one thing tho, defo nothing stopping you playing on the kitchen table with whatever cards you want, house rules etc.
For me, the living card game format is almost the best place for cool weird changes to happen and for things to cycle out and get interesting reprints that reflect the changing world of the game (mechanically but also thematically). One of my favourite parts of the revised core set is that character art changed on the runner IDs to reflect the characters aging since their first appearance.

ps, super happy to play on jinteki any time if you need some guidance into the game! I’ve actually really wanted an excuse to build some core 2.0 only decks. and PPS, I’d really recommend the Metropole Grid streams/YouTube vids for a charismatic and beginner friendly streamer. He does super great explanations of decisions he’s making and is a total cutie as well.

edit:
original chaos theory

and revised chaos theory

(netrunner is somehow cute as heck and everyone should play it?)

4 Likes

Happy 4/20

8 Likes

other rosewatta stone favs

10 Likes

5 Likes

plays this card on turn 4

1 Like

St-58

2 Likes

saw a good twitter thread

EDIT: Update