Tom's Hardware of Finland

I would guess the routers on their 4g towers are messed up then. Possibly they have some incompatibility with your particular phone 4G chipset (if not that many people are complaining), or just messed up in general (if everyone is). Either way the easiest fix is probably to change provider assuming you’re not on a contract. (I’ve had good experience with US Mobile as a cheap T-Mobile or Verizon reseller.)

1 Like

Saw that you called your provider and they recommended a new SIM. Which sounds like a lolsy “I don’t want to deal with this” response, but maybe humor them? Worst case scenario is it doesn’t work, you tell them that, and they are forced to investigate further.

i wonder what the current state of the art is on putting contemporary pc parts into a g5/intel mac pro tower case

i almost got them to give me one of our outgoing units at my old job but in the end the bureaucracy could not be convinced and off to the crusher the beautiful boys went

3 Likes

unfortunately getting a new sim means the old one will be deactivated until the new one arrives, which could take a long time (or never) atm. download speeds on 3g are pretty much the same as i was getting on 4g so i’m just going to leave it for now.

1 Like

funnily enough Linus Tech Tips had a thing where they stuffed a “cheese grater killer” inside an older Mac Pro tower

I’m trying to remember how much cutting up they did to the case to fit standardized components in

There’s this clone of the new design, too

I would rather retrofit the old G3/G4 design with the board on the door tbh. I bought a blue and white G3 from a thrift store and used it as a shitty music server from like 2005-2010.

1 Like

seems like using a m-atx board lets you retain the sweet drive bay sliders
but you can’t use the stock front panel controls? i’m out now.

oh look an insane person:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/powermac-g5-case-modding-project-matx-atx-conversion-barebones-mac-pro-alternative.254701/

driven mad by the power of the Ooze

4 Likes

this is a nice looking case, and the actual cheese grater is compellingly audacious, but the worst feature of both is the silly home depot feet designs come on jon you’ve been huffing tom dixon’s farts for too long actually i don’t know if jon even worked on that computer who cares i bet it is all a ploy to get you to buy those $400 casters

$200 for the clone? that seems like a fair price. And they also make a trashcan pro clone? Cheeky. If they were truly brave they’d make a triple-height version of the trashcan and call it the Tall Kitchen.

if you poke around on ebay, there’s a bunch of Korean sellers selling trashcan clone cases except they only take ITX boards and short GPUs and also they probably aren’t super well engineered

1 Like

also at my first real job they had just gotten g5s (with GDM-FW900 displays) like a month or two before i started and had a g3 in the corner for specifically this purpose that we would all use this weird quasi-remote-desktop but only-for-itunes app to tunnel into and control

1 Like

Does bluetooth on windows still have to be either no-mic headphone mode or garbled audio “hands-free” mode? I know that’s how it used to be but I’m honestly bewildered that it isn’t better.

no, my airpod pros work perfectly on windows (and they device switch really elegantly, it’s the whole reason I got them)

it’s just that most bluetooth APs are bad and most bluetooth devices are bad too and don’t implement full-duplexed A2DP/AAC/aptX

I’ve been assuming that the current Intel 2x2 m2 Wifi 6 chipset that’s in all the new ITX boards would have good enough bluetooth for me but if not maybe I’ll just use this forever

Hopefully the 9260 fixes this when I pop it in, then

also I’ve noticed that xbox one controllers are really greedy in terms of degrading my bluetooth if I have more than one audio output connected along with them and my keyboard, I think they have a really high pollrate

So you have your airpods connected and you get both voice input and a2dp at the same time?

da

you may have to open the legacy sound control panel to blacklist the “headset” mono sound entry

1 Like

isn’t that because the Xbone S controllers support audio over their headphone jacks

not over bluetooth

1 Like

15 posts were split to a new topic: virtual virtual unreality

Also,

Over the years my dogs have chewed up three (3) one hundred dollar Apple Magsafe2 charger wires. The third time I decided I would replace/repair the wire instead of just buying a whole new one. You gotta pry the plastic brick apart and I could not for the life of me get it open and if you just cut the wire the cable is all like coaxially straded or wound or whatever and I don’t have any heatshrink so it just sat in a bin for a couple years and in the meantime I disregarded Genius and Online advice and just bought some cheap shit on Amazon.

Guess what they chewed that shit up too. But only a little. So I just wrapped it with some electrical tape and ignored it and hoped it didn’t shock us or whatever but the tape never stays put.

But then I found out that USB-C -> Magsafe cables are a thing. So I ordered one of those bad boys and a 60w C + 3x 12w A charger brick and it came in just now and it works good.

That’s a win, we got one in there, boys, suck it Cupertino, etc.

5 Likes