Tom's Hardware of Finland

Dogs!

9 Likes

Anyone got recommendations on a cheap monitor with good response time and maybe 2 HDMI ports?

My PC GPU is a nvidia 660 gtx ti or something, it is old, I don’t think it can do Freesync.

I have spent too much time trying to figure this shit out on my own and I can’t do it, these models all have too many numbers and consonants and

study

Also anyone got recs on a good keyboard/mouse USB switch. That’s another thing of mine that died.

What resolution? Are you hooking consoles up?

The main choice is 1080p vs. 1440p. Some consoles handle 1440p better than others.

I use this switch to share peripherals

Ya, 1080p and I’d like to use my PS4 on it

This Acer SB220Q is a great value - IPS, freesync (which is a standard that will be around for a long time), 1080p. The only bummer is that it has one HDMI port and one D-SUB/VGA.

Definitely the best I found under $100 that’s brand name.

1 Like

Just in case - “IPS” means in-plane switching which means good colors and viewing angles, much better than wonky polarized filters on TN panels. Seems like it’d be nice for you doing art.

1 Like

2 HDMI ports is a big ask. It’s very limiting to demand exact combinations of ports in monitors, I’ve found. Best to have something passable on that front and shop for other factors

1 Like

HDMI -> DVI cables are a thing, so unless you are in a situation where you have to transfer sound+video (assuming this isn’t the case, since computer monitor) a monitor with an HDMI and DVI pickup each should be fine as well.

1 Like

If response time is important to you though, a TN panel will do much better in this regard than all but pretty much the highest-end IPS panels

1 Like

The one I linked is 4ms which is better than most TN panels older than five years.

1 Like

This thing is cheap enough I’m trying to talk myself out of buying this and desk arm for doing stuff like art and movies on it. :thinking:

Good news

No compatibility for VESA Mount

2 Likes

For peripheral switching we have a couple of these and they work well. No remote but usb 3.0 and cheaper. If that one is out of stock there’s a bunch of others that are the same size and port layout that have what I’m guessing is exactly the same internals

1 Like

I have a kinda similar question to Hobo, as I know nothing about monitors and TVs. Can anyone recommend a small display in the 10-inch range that’d be suitable as a second screen for my laptop? Bonus points if it’s also suitable for docking my Switch to, so I guess the screen could use a good response rate and an HDMI port?

I think the reasons to actually get a 10" monitor are pretty specific, so be sure that’s what you want, but if you do:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B072N2YGXN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

that’s easily one of the best options, I like mine

1 Like

I am using an old iPad with Duet display as my secondary 10" monitor and recommend it if you can find an old (2012 or newer) iPad for less than the above.

1 Like

Thank you both, I’ll consider these.

I work from home with my laptop on a dresser (my eye level) and a bluetooth keyboard on my lap. There’s just a enough room on the dresser for a small display, and I’d love just a tiny bit more screen space to throw reference material onto while I write.

1 Like

if your laptop is a mac macOS has native dual screen support with ipads too. but probably only if you’re on catalina.

1 Like

yeah duet is actually fairly cross-platform but I only have an iPad 2 in a drawer

2 Likes