TMNT 1990 turned 29 on March 30th

“It’s quiet”.
“Yeah, a little too quiet”

“look, it’s Raph!” (Raphael struggles in his bindings, and angrily grumbles through his duct taped mouth)

“Yeah, a little too Raph…”

4 Likes

The Super Shredder toy was mad cool. A friend had it.

1 Like

this also means that 100% of people in america under the age of 30 who have studied or are studying literature dream of writing a dissertation about harry fucking potter and I can’t talk about this any more or I won’t be responsible for

1 Like

99% are writing dissertations about how Harry Potter is good
1% are writing about how it is bad

…they are the future

For those who haven’t seen the making of documentary Behind the Shells yet, check it out. It’s a making of feature for the first two movies.

Also there was a cheesy alternate ending for the first movie?

1 Like

My babysitter took me to see it, I think I was about 4 years old. Seeing some of the stills above has actually made me curious to watch it again. I’m impressed with some of the cinematography and find it sad they had to reintroduce the turtles in CG for the new movies.

1 Like

Oh cool! The blu-rays have no special features!

I read some comments from Elias Koteas the other day. He said sometimes takes would reach double digits, due to the complexity of the suits and puppetry. But he said it allowed him to sort of lay back and be more creative and fun than he may have been.

Really?!

That’s kind of amazing because there are pictures and clips on youtube of deleted scenes and stuff.

Some of these probably have repeats. I haven’t watched them all yet. It’s kind of hard to find all the deleted footage/alternate takes in one spot. They’re all just kind of scattered about out there.

1 Like

Awesome!
The boxset I have did come with a reprint of the comic Eastmen and Laird did for the movie. Unfortunately it isn’t full size. But it is the complete comic.

1 Like

That’s cool. I just dug out my DVD set I got from Wal-Mart. It’s the same four movies as the Blu-Ray, minus the cool grease-stained pizza box. It doesn’t appear to have any extra features either, aside from a theatrical trailer and something called the t-files (baseball card style bios of the main characters, looks like).

I guess I’m watching this again now. Happy anniversary TMNT.

edit-Also if anyone wants the ultraviolet digital code for this hit me up and it is yours.

1 Like

Im watching some of the making of feature: The pizza delivery guy in the first movie----is the guy inside Mikey’s suit.

So, he’s arguing with himself over late pizza!

1 Like

I just noticed that April’s cameraman who times her when she go to meet with Chief Sterns is the same cameraman from Secret of the Ooze who finds the giant dandelion and takes it to Tatsu.

And in the first movie as April goes to visit Chief Sterns he looks up and sees Danny being taken into custody and Danny looks back at him and they make eye contact. So, April’s cameraman was part of the Foot from the beginning.

2 Likes

Yeah, and Keno (Ernie Reyes, Jr.) from Secret of the Ooze was Donatello’s suit actor for the action sequences in the first movie. Someone else may have already mentioned that though.

2 Likes

I did know that!

Mikey’s actor is wearing a red hat in the feature (probably the pizza hat. It’s low res video) but doesnt say anything about the delivery scene. it’s just like ok dude, I would know your face and voice in a red hat, anywhere.

Mikey’s voice actor narrated the trailer for Surf Ninjas, which Ernie Reyes Jr. Starred in.

**ok maybe not. It’s a surfer dude voice. But probably not Mikey. I always thought it was!

Also that Chief Sterns scene is so good. The “time me” bit is great. And the voice of the guy timing her, sticks in my head. Because I grew up in Washington state where we have the plainest English in the country.

And anytime someone mentions being told how to do a job----I see and hear Chief Sterns screaming! Hahaha.

Surf Ninjas also had Ernie Reyes Jr.'s father in it, Ernie Reyes Sr. He’s still alive, (71!) and still head instructor of West Coast World Martial Arts.

I miss martial arts movies.

Also this song by Baltimora was playing in the background in a scene in TMNT 3 (and I used to think it was in Surf Ninjas as well but I can’t find any evidence of this now) and pre-internet I spent the better part of a decade wondering what that song was called.

It’s called Tarzan Boy lol.

2 Likes

I just saw the bit with Mikey practicing blindfolded that you mentioned. I had never noticed that either.

1 Like

this barely even tangentially related but Surf Ninjas came up which means I have to point out that one of the later 3 Ninjas movies was directed by (and 2 were produced by) this utter legend

3 Likes

Surf Ninjas seemed like it should’ve been made two years prior with Pauly Shore (they have Rob Schneider in full Pauly Shore mode – just check that awful orange hair). I remember thinking it was pretty bad as a kid, but also being enamored by the concept of manipulating the real world with the kid’s Game Gear.

The problem is the Game Gear was a pain in the ass. I never would’ve brought it along on an adventure because it eats through batteries like an asshole (and there were never enough remote controls to harvest batteries from), it’s heavy and cumbersome, and you know that fucking battery plate is going to fall off and go missing. Also, I only had like, Sonic 2 and True Romance for a long time, and I didn’t care much for either. I would’ve brought my GameBoy. Fuck your Game Gear, kid.

Somebody in the Discord once said, “Surf Ninjas Must Die”. I don’t remember who that was, but that would’ve been an excellent title for a sequel. Or even better, a Troma crossover.

(I’ve never been able to disassociate The Beach Boy’s Barbara Ann from Surf Ninjas).

The first 3 Ninjas is bitchin’, man.
rockylovesemily

Is the Kids Learning Martial Arts and Foiling Scumbags genre dead?

2 Likes

I bought this mask in a post-Halloween discount. I finally put it on about week ago, looked in the mirror, and the next thought was: 3 Ninjas!

I totally did some ninja poses >_>

I wanted to be those kids. Reealllly baaad.

1 Like