TMNT 1990 turned 29 on March 30th

Elmo is the voice of Splinter and one of three puppeteers.

Pauly Shore was likely too expensive for Surf Ninjas and also at that point, only interested in starring roles. *I say that about starring, based on his Your Mom’s House podcast interview from a couple months ago.

I too realized Surf Ninjas was kinda low grade, even as a kid. But it was still fun. Still Ninjas. And I will never forget game gear augmented reality and deflecting bullets with a sword. I just linked a clip of that in an email chain, a couple days ago!

This blew my mind to bits in like 2010. So if you don’t already know, here it is:

The voice of cartoon Shredder, is Uncle Phil (James Avery) from The Fresh Prince of Bel-air.

Rest in Peace, dude!

3 Likes

I wanted the masks from 3 Ninjas so bad. Every time Colt spraypaints his mask white, I would cringe because he ruined his bitchin’ mask!

preview

3 Ninjas was the hardest movie to rent from Netflix because, for whatever reason, their distribution centers couldn’t figure out that “3 Ninjas” and “3 Ninjas Part III: Knuckle Up” were two different fucking movies, and kept sending me part 3. I was pretty furious because I only liked the first one and it took several weeks to get one fucking movie. (I’m pretty sure they threw their arms up and tried sending me the fourth one, too)

Who the F rented 3 Ninjas from Netflix!! If you didn’t see it on VHS you never really experienced it

1 Like

Somebody who watched it as a child and wanted to watch it again but no longer owns a VCR because they’re largely irrelevant?

one time 3 ninjas was on tv and the little one line review in the paper’s tv listings just said something like “this kind of tripe might pass for entertainment in california, but nowhere else”

2 Likes

That reminds me that I still have a bunch of the Topps cards for the movie sitting around. And for the TV series for that matter.

OK I was sort of joking—from your wording I thought you had rented it on Netflix as a kid.

Pshaw, I have it on laserdisc.

I’m hilarious all the time thx

2 Likes

I think this is playing out now with the preponderance of Spongebob memes

1 Like

Yeah, Eastman and Laird were pretty heavily involved with it, much as Peter Laird was with the 2004 TMNT series. (I still think that’s the best telling of the story, but hey. There are choices.)

So how do you feel about the EPA?

I thought the recent CG show was pretty good. I watched 3 episodes in 2014, to see what it was like. Did a good job of capturing some of he classic personality, mixed with some artful presentation and solid CG.

Now they are rebooting again, with a 2D show. Can’t say I like the art style.

1 Like

3 Ninjas trivia: my original sensei from when I was a little kid to a teenager (8 - 13) and then later again as an adult for three years (18-20) Shihan Sam Plunkett, was one of the martial arts supervisors on the original 3 Ninjas, a handful of other martial arts movies and Little Ninjas too. he also always had a picture of him with Victor Wong hanging up in class, and a ton of other dudes.

4 Likes

Awesome! That would have been so cool as a kid.

I took some Chinese Kenpo Karate. Next time I visit my mom, I will take a pic of a pro photo of me doing a side kick.

1 Like

You get your warrant, and I’ll sue your ass for wrongful prosecution.

I feel silly having missed this thread for being one of the bigger turtles fans on the forums…

Man ya 29 sounds right.

So hard to believe that amazing movie came out and when they rebooted it they just made… garbage with all that money, but the OG was stretching every dollar they had.

4 Likes