TMNT 1990 turned 29 on March 30th

Best comic/hero movie <3
I turned 4 years old, 28 days later. I clearly remember watching it at the only local theater of my hometown. Maybe my earliest, clear memories.

I uploaded a few of the gags

5 Likes
2 Likes

i haven’t seen this in 24 years, which one is the one where corey feldman voices raphael? because i’ve been thinking about re-watching the tmnt movies except for that one.

He voices Donatello in the first and third movies.

I own the pizza box blu-ray set which includes the three live action and the later CG movie. I usually watch a couple of the movies every year, since owning the set. Watched them dozens of times as a child.

the first movie is incredible

3 Likes

some people i know say secret of the ooze is better and those people

1. put a lot of stock in a vanilla ice cameo
  2. are absolutely fucking wrong
10 Likes

They even printed the bottom to look like it has a grease stain

12 Likes

the first movie is just so tonally important to me for how i look at like, comic books, superheroes, everything. it hit a perfect balance of the weird eastman and laird comics and the fun-ness of the animated series set in a weirdly gritty new york.

i do this day have a love of sleeveless hoodies from trying to make low-rent foot clan cosplay as a kid

4 Likes

Sam Rockwell

12 Likes

The press kit

press7press8press10

7 Likes

I think it was the soundtrack cassette for this movie that my friend down the street called me up to demand I come over and listen to it in his dad’s car. He insisted that it had secret messages hidden in it, that we had to decipher. He was like “Listen… they say ‘Spin that wheel’, but what is the wheel??”

7 Likes

I also saw this movie in theaters because I am o l d

2 Likes

It wasn’t til recently that I realized that the first movie aggressively sticks to the comic.

I steered clear of that Coming Out of Ours Shells tour tape as a kid, which is probably for the best. Only in adulthood can I properly appreciate a cheesy inspirational power ballad.

2 Likes

i saw it twice and each time the queue was even more bullshit

1 Like

i resisted posting that three 6 mafia clip

2 Likes

also lets be real no one in the world seriously believes secret of the ooze is better than the original movie because then they’d have to be ok with that movie ignoring the existence of bebop and rocksteady in favor of fucking making up fucking TOKKA and RAZAR for some stupid fucking reason

I mean, Tokka and Razar are cool. But, yeah.

I watched the coming out of our shells tour several times when I was real young. Because Ninja Turtles 4 lyfe.

2 Likes

Buy yeah, the first movie is so good.
Everything is grounded and realistic. The low budget cameras and noir lighting supports it. Jim Henson’s creature shop nailed it and they werent afraid to be hard on the suits. Allowing the men in the suits free reign to do whatever the screenplay demanded.
The directing is great. The screen play is great. It is paced very well And has lots of low key moments which humanize the characters and are also memorable.
The casting is amazing. All 4 turtle voices hit it out of the park. The guy who does Mikey, in particular, is genius. Corey Feldman also naturally melds into his role as Donatello. Such that his absence in the 2nd movie was really jarring. Judith Hoag and Elias Kotias do not phone it in. Rather, they reinforce the humanity of the story and setting. Judith strikes a perfect balance between the determination of a reporter but also gets to just be a person at many points. Elias Kotias sells the shit out of Casey Jones. Their scenes together, have believable chemistry. And they both act as if the turtles are real, people.The police chief’s two minutes of screen time is quotable and memorable. The b-story of the dad friend and his son doesnt get annoying, because it is not overused as a roadblock for the turtles. And ties into The Foot’s recruiting of teens. The gags and jokes are perfect. But some of the cartooney aspects of pizza and teenage tendencies are also used in non-overt ways to give a reality to turtle brothers who wanna hangout, eat pizza and chips, watch tv, skateboard. They don’t only exist for jokes and kickin butt.

It seems to have gotten better, as I have gotten older.

1 Like

no really this looked like the coolest place in the entire world

11 Likes

That girl blowing bubblegum ohhhh myyyy