TMNT 1990 turned 29 on March 30th

Shredder’s costume is so rad.

i remember the third movie being slated on release, but was it actually bad, or was it just because it came out two years after everyone had stopped caring about the turtles?

ban everything burn the forums

Mikey is hilarious in the third

• also dude they had Samurai costumes and the scepter is awesome.

There is a part where an archer is drawing on April (I think) and Raph throws a sai and breaks the arrow. I thought that was the COOLEST. I remember talking about it and acting it out with my friends, on the school playground.

1 Like

I was 5 when this came out. Loved the cartoon, had some of the toys etc. I had a chance to see it in theaters but I thought the Turtles would actually be there in person and the thought there were real, humanoid turtles in the world terrified me so I didn’t want to go.

I remember my dad bringing home the VHS tape when it came out and surprising me with it. We watched it a lot.

Later on I started collecting the original comics and was struck by how closely they adapted sequences from the books for the movie. Or maybe it was the other way around and Eastman and Laird based the book off the movie.

Real live ninja turtles would have thrilled me to no end. I used to stand over manholes and yell for them to come and train me.

3 Likes

i had this elaborate theory that Fight Club worked as an unofficial sequel to the first TMNT movie but now i can’t remember why

4 Likes

I’ve somehow never actually seen 3. Word around the lunch table was that it was pretty bad, and it was an endeavor to get my parents to take me out to a movie so I never bothered. Pretty sure if I had asked my dad would have just told me to rent Throne of Blood from the library again instead.

1 Like

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Tournament Fighters is a solid game.

Maybe their sewer is where fight club happened and of course they would be cool with it because now they are tournament fighters.

2 Likes

Clears throat to raise your attention

2 Likes

edward norton felt a sense of belonging after like having their first kiss at the foot clan hideout and felt resentment towards the turtles for killing shredder because he had to get an office job and never felt that cool or comfortable in a public space ever again. so he created the fight club

furthermore who DJ’ed at the foot clan hideout? were there teens who thought foot clan was just the name of a cool warehouse rave? there were totally slackers at the hideout who just wanted to smoke cigarettes and listen to new jack swing

2 Likes

beggars belief that no one’s just made this club night

1 Like

The VHS tape of this movie was the first Christmas present I ever had spoiled for me because I saw it on top of a shelf my mom figured I was too short to be able to see.

Realizing a few years ago when I watched this again that Golden Harvest somehow became the production company behind this movie blew my mind. It doesn’t feel entirely unlike a late 80s Hong Kong movie, with a healthy dose of what-American-kids-are-into and what-adults-are-scared-kids-are-into.

It’s so much better than the goofy ass Turltes 2: Secret of the Ooze, though Turtles 2 was definitely more what I wanted when I was a kid. My cousins and I endlessly speculated about the loose ends that would be followed up on in sequels and were really baffled by TMNT3, but still clung to our fan theories for the TMNT 4 that never arrived. And now I’m 25 years older and what have I become.

1 Like

yeah it definitely had to do with Edward Norton being one of the Foot Clan teens and creating Fight Club as a way of reconnecting with his anarchic youth

wait what are you quoting there

This movie was too real for little me. I preferred the jokey cartoonishness of Ooze which I watched over and over before I had taste, because the first movie… I didn’t felt like I should be seeing it. It’s hard to describe. Moments like Raph unconscious in that grimey bathtub while April’s pouring water on him made little Me feel weird feelings. Not sexual but like, intimate, painfully Human. The realities of pain and loss and boredom, and having a body, and dirt and sweat. Thinking about it gives me the chilly willies.

Pretty incredible achievement for a movie about giant mutant turtles

7 Likes

remembering how many kids on the playground were screaming

5 Likes

The VHS was cool because it had faint green turtle heads printed on the label for the VHS. Most movies just had a white label with black print.

Secret of the Ooze had an ooze green label, with black text.
*google reminded me the label for the third movie, was yellow with green text.

1 Like

A couple years ago at a nerd convention there was an open mic where people were sharing their TMNT memories. I strongly considered talking about how the first movie was on in the background the first time I got busy. I didn’t thankfully. But I just posted it here and that’s probably just as bad.

Sorry everyone.

(And no I didn’t yell “I love being a turtle” afterward)

8 Likes
5 Likes

My single mother threw me a birthday party in the play room of our local McDonald’s. Turtle themed plates, cups, etc.

But bless her, she somehow managed to hire a guy to show up in a Donatello costume (he’s my fave).
A. Extra money single moms don’t have
B. I’m baffled it was even possible in our small town. I have to imagine there was some travel time involved.

6 Likes