This Thread Brought to You by Tactics Gang

hm, @Felix ?

I will only help if you’re playing my version

1 Like
  1. Get the « more job points » passive from squires on all your characters immediately and never remove it or learn another passive again. I know it sucks. I haven’t played Felix’s hack yet but it is good if it makes this ability innate, and bad otherwise

2. When one of your characters get JP, the others also get spillover JP. This really helps to unlock classes and means the JP gains are overall not as low as they seem

3. Get the damage skill on the dancer.
    Good news: easy, crazy JP gains.
    Bad news: Unlocking dancer already takes forever, look it up I guess. Also dancer is girls only. Boys have a similar but worse job.

2 Likes

oh no I don’t like that advice so I’ve been forced into a response

that’s my endgame save on my patch testing playthrough, as you can see the game is not that long when you know how to play it well! I do close to 0 random battles on a playthrough nowadays and almost never prolong battles to gain jp. tips:

• speed, and to a lesser degree power and mobility are way, way more important than HP or other stats. it’s not fire emblem, you’re not going to be having that many evenly matched melee fights between individual units.
  • most jobs only have 2 or 3 good abilities so you don’t need to stick with them very long unless you want to experiment
  • black mages are very overpowered in the early game, largely because they have the best stats of any mages (and magic attack boosting gear is widely available in chapter 2), and ninjas are very overpowered in the late game, largely because they have the best stats of any melee classes (and physical attack boosting gear is widely available in chapter 3). speed boosting gear is widely available in chapter 4.
  • incapacitating enemies is far more valuable than whittling their health down, even if it’s a status effect that only lasts for 1 or 2 turns.
  • I tend to run the early-mid game with a chemist whose main abilities are hi-potion, auto-potion, phoenix down, and haste (via a time mage secondary; you can get 0 other time mage skills and have this be perfectly worthwhile), a thief who exclusively uses steal heart and golem (via a summoner secondary), and a black mage who pretty much exclusively casts shiva from a summoner secondary. this will carry you all the way to when NPCs start joining.
  • shared JP is very useful like tuxedo said! if you have, as I did in my example, a chemist and a black mage in every battle, everyone else is going to unlock time mage soon enough (and with it, the basic haste ability, arguably the single best time magic) given those two prerequisites’ JP spilling over.
7 Likes

Oh yeah you can definitely play FFT smart without too much JP!

But sometimes you just want to indulge and like learn all the summons or something without having to be a summoner for one entire playthrough + the entire post-game

1 Like

no, they’re more of a gift if you’re struggling in the mid game because you didn’t build your characters well. the super minmax strategies generally don’t use them, but they’re generally fun and unless you put a ton of effort into unlocking the late secret classes (dancer/calculator/mime), you’ll want to transition at least half of your team

you better be using my script

3 Likes

come on what the fuck

4 Likes

yes, but you also want your people to be squires early for jp boost. 1 or 2 chemists

1 Like

This is the best possible way to play FFT

just do everything you can to make the game as ridiculous and stupid as possible because taking the game seriously is a mistake

6 Likes

What the fuck

8 Likes

sounds like you’d enjoy final fantasy II

felix i haven’t gathered the energy to settle into a fft run yet when i do i promise it will be gabagooled

5 Likes

felix i downloaded your patched rom but as i’ve never played fft how do i know if you patched it right

you’ll know from all the seinfeld memes

if the words stir your soul,

it’s mine

1 Like

Hey Felix, I would like to play your patched rom… Where can I find it? :grin:
Thanks!

it doesn’t actually exist, the entire thing is some weird SB joke

1 Like

Oh jeez!

it is real

1 Like

cmon, can’t a guy troll a little bit… :shermiesteppin: