the x-files

you’re sad

Thanks, creep.

strange 1/2 agree w/MM & LS, 50% think “one of the weaker episodes of fan favorite [I]Buffy the Vampire Slayer[/I]”

pt cool job hire drag queen 2 play humorous crack using transgender prostitute

+noted progressive SPECIAL AGENT FOX MULDER xplains to manmonster this complex subject in helpful terms

lol what the fuck was that episode

lame transgender pseudo-jokes aside, it feels good to have the x-files back

nice reminder of how wildly inconsistent this show is imo

really good and funny episode, reminiscent of Jose Chung. I like when the show gets wacky. Charles Fort talk! Mulder’s long monologue where he anticipates Scully’s response to everything he says was perfectly delivered.

1 Like

neat:

http://tracytwyman.com/the-latest-episode-of-the-x-files-was-about-nicholas-de-vere/

still haven’t seen any of the new ones but i just got through the first season last night and i’m still pretty enthralled with this show

to me it is less interesting to think about whether or not chris carter actually believes in conspiracy theories, than it is to realize how good he (or whoever we want to give credit for the show in general, maybe wong and morgan or w/e) was at taking the sort of nugget of an idea you might find in an urban legend or conspiracy theory or totally batshit weekly world news article, and transforming into the foundation for an airtight procedural drama. the most likely consequence of this is not really being able to figure out the ending, which happens in almost every episode of the first season. but i am always surprised by how good the middle turns out to be, like there’s always one more layer to the story than what you are expecting.

2 Likes

The bit where they’re going on and on about cellphones and how ubiquitous they are was a tad forced.

And Mulder supposedly being cynical doesn’t work here, just as it didn’t work in the episodes of the original series where he was; some recent development causes him to question whether everything he’s ever seen was somehow a hoax, but the dude fucken saw monsters all the goddamn time. And we’re supposed to believe that him coming back onboard the conspiracy thought train is a result of personal growth rather than “I have directly observed supernatural forces at work regularly over the course of several years.”

As annoying as the constant reminders that cellphones are radical enough to almost change the premise of the show, I have to wonder why Mulder or Scully haven’t taken to wearing a body cam of some sort. Three months on Mulder and he’d have all the hard evidence to prove Sasquatch is really Santa Claus who implants false memories into adults so they think they bought toys or what the fuck ever. I know I’m supposed to give the story the benefit of the doubt when it comes to suspension of disbelief, but it’s hard to do that when the show is making cellphones a part of the narrative. Either electronics can capture monsters of the week on film, or they cannot. There can be no in-between.

1 Like

That was my thing. I liked the episode but like dude you saw bugmen and alive shadows and telekinesis and magic genies and whatnot what are you even talking about

Yeah I feel the better approach is to compartimentalize the hell out of this especially since the 1st episode was already quite head scratching. Never going to have a problem with comedic episodes tho.

It’s worth noting that as the show was originally conceived, there were going to be episodes where everything turned out to be a hoax thrown in the mix alongside all the legitimate monsters, aliens, and ghosts.

it’s really weird to me that they never did a single episode like that, not even as a joke

or did they? i don’t know x files that well i guess

And I would’ve gotten away with it too, if it wasn’t for you dang FBI agents.

I guess Irresistable is the closest they came.

Maybe Paper Hearts? I should probably finally watch all those late episodes I missed to see if they ever undid that explanation for Samantha’s abduction.

Man tonight’s episode was classic! And the preview for next weeks episode looks great too. I really wish they were doing a full season because overall it’s been really good so far.

Hopping in the back of the garbage truck to Petula Clark is the new hopping into the trunk of the Cadillac to Johnny Mathis.

I dug how they played with fan expectations with this one. That’s become a necessary writer skill these days in the face of internet nerd culture.

And Tim Armstrong got old!