the x-files

Holy shit I loved “Mulder and Scully Meet the Were-Monster” with every fiber of my being. Rhys Darby was perfect.

So tonight’s episode was a decent story with at least one funny bit but overall it didn’t do as much for me as the other episodes so I’m calling this one the weakest of the bunch. The series finale next week looked pretty hot from the preview though. The truth revealed! I can’t wait to see it.

That was real fukken stupid

politically, philosophically, and narratively brain dead

but at least mulder doing the achy breaky and then a backflip will be a cool animated gif

I thought not Mulder and Scully were a gag, but Einstein is showing up next week?

I will defend the trip scene til the end, but I’m pretty sure I’ve accidentally seen bits of NCIS that offered a more nuanced portray of Islam. From shot one, I was expecting that this dude would get something pegged on him by shady government types, rather than him just being generic terrorist guy. Bummer.

Yeah you would think this being The X-Files and all they would really worked in the shadow government angle more but I guess the writers heads were in different places. Though who were those two Arabic speaking guys at the hospital claiming to be DHS? Just some random dudes come to silence the survived bomber? And I thought for sure the nurse was working for someone at first but I guess she was just being a jerk?

I don’t know. I guess statistically at least one of these episodes was bound to be a real dud and this one was it. Maybe the final episode will somehow tie all the events of the past five episodes together. Kind of doubt it.

even the most uncle-at-thanksgiving episodes of 24 had more characterization than “blows up buildings”

huge waste of the Lone Gunmen, too

I don’t think Chris Carter has ever done mushrooms… that was embarrassing.

the irony of it is (and I’m not saying this was what they were going for at all)… Islamic suicide terrorism in America kind of is an X-File… because it never happens.

think they bought 2 much into “make each episode a microcosm of a type in the original series”
this was supposed to be life-affmirming I guess???
only so much other mess in there 2222

when UNNAMED AGENT came in and declared BOMB THREAT FROM THE ISLAMS I was guessing/hoping episode would actually be about some third party turning the area into an emotional pressure cooker by some means (such as s2e03, “Blood” & others I’m sure)

felt that was definitely the case when the nurse turned the paranoid rambling up to 11
but noooooooooooooooope
weird
bad

uh, what?

Shiiiiiiiiiiiit

Maaaaaan they ended the big finale on a damn cliffhanger. They might just be bringing the show back with Miller and Einstein as leads. Maybe. Or at least regular characters.

Also who could have been in the big triangle ship at the end? I’m betting it’s Mulder and Sculley’s kid.

11.22.63 is a much better File than these new Xes have been

Chris Carter has officially entered the “tragically unhip Dad” zone

part of the problem with the finale was that it was way too much stuff way too quickly. it needed a whole season’s buildup, not one episode. IMO this series should have been the first and last episodes drawn out into a 6 episode arc.

yes. e.g. The Post-Modern Prometheus

It’s excellent so far, truly. Your mileage may differ, but I doubt by much.

So we might get another mini-series whenever people’s schedules allow it, or we might get another movie. Really it wouldn’t be X-Files if they paint themselves into a narrative corner with no predetermined exit strategy. One of my friends was complaining that the show didn’t adopt any of the modern tv conventions like proper season long arcs and whatnot. I was glad the show time traveled and brought back with it the stand alone monster of the week episodes, and the standard season premiere/finale “mythos” episodes.

For me, the potentially unresolvable cliffhanger is also part of the retro experience and make me like it even more! Going back to my list of all the failed lead-in shows from earlier in this thread, damn near every single one of those ended on a cliffhanger. X-Files may finally get to join them! Islamophobia, and poor handling of a trans character aside, this was a total A+ experience for me.