The Simple and Clean Kingdom Hearts Thread

You’re telling me that Rutger Hauer does VA for KH? FR? BRB.

Yeah, he is the actual voice of the BIG BAD Xehanort, but just in KH3, because previously it was Leonard Nimoy, but…you know.

i still heard all the lines in Nimoy’s voice

i will never goddamn believe this disneyxfinal fantasy + anime OCs video game saga has Leonard Nimoy and Christopher Lee in it

2 Likes

Best part about Nimoy is that Nomura personally requested him because he is on a whole other level of nerd

In the English version of the series, Eraqus is voiced by Mark Hamill, who was chosen specifically by Nomura because of his role as Luke Skywalker, his love of the Star Wars series, and his desire to pit Star Wars and Star Trek (a series that Nomura is also a fan of) against each other in a “dream match” by casting Star Trek’s Leonard Nimoy as Master Xehanort, Eraqus’s friend turned rival.

I swear I once saw a larger quote from one of his interviews where he had the most insane ramble about how Star Wars and Star Trek in their own way represent the duality of Light and Darkness in Hearts.

8 Likes

I’m right before KH2’s final boss, will do it tomorrow. The pattern seems to be one week per game, in the end. I’d kinda hoped I could go all the way to the end of KH3 before march 8th for various reasons, but probably not. I’ve been meaning to write some insights and observations from replaying the saga, maybe for this weekend.

Done with Birth By Sleep now, on proud mode still. There were some very bullshit bosses, but once again you can semi-reliably break the combat system using shootlocks (long, invincible multihit moves) so I guess it balances out.

The pattern of one game per week continues.

From now on, 26 days after embarking on this journey, I’m entering the uncharted territory of KH games I haven’t actually played before. There be dragons.

Cause, you know, Maleficent.

1 Like

You got through BBS three times and bonus??

Yeah, first run (which was Ventus) took 12 hours, then Aqua and Terra took 8 hours each, then 45 minutes for the epilogue. This is in proud mode, getting just about all the chests and stickers you can get without going to previous worlds, but no completist hunt (since it’s proud mode I only need all stickers to get the secret movie but I didn’t since as mentioned before this marks the switch from secret movies that have an incredible sense of mystery to “X said Y to Z”). Also did the arena fights with the last character up to Iron Imprisoner II.

I had a command merging chart open on my phone, so I could get a bunch of useful skills with what I found along the way. The biggest obstacle with my motivation is I should have started with Terra first, since I enjoyed his playthrough less (less nimble than the other two and his whole storyline is about being a dumbass walking into every obvious trap and manipulation right until after his body is stolen).

EDIT: I’d forgotten there’s a secret playable episode after the bonus episode so I guess I may yet collect those stickers in between bouts of KH3d (which I haven’t started yet since I had guests, however I did watch the very terrible RE:Coded and I hate it).

1 Like

So, KH3:
What’s the verdict now that the dust has settled, anyone else started/finished it?

Help out a senior SQEX-fanboy here, I’m still on the fence, and Left Alive is also a game i am waiting to pull the trigger on (and i am cheap-ass enough to not going to buy both)… idk why, but somehow both appeal to me to some degree, or else i would have ignored/forgotten about both already (as i initially planned to do).

KH3 is great if you’re an uber fan of the story. There’s a ton of cool gameplay stuff also, but it’s too easy to make full use of.

2 Likes

Yeah if you are a fan you will scream about every 15 minutes for 30 hours straight. It was great!

4 Likes

That said if you haven’t screamed within the first three hours put the controller down and discontinue use.

2 Likes

Critical Mode has been added as a free update to the game. Seems to work similar to Kingdom Hearts 2 where you at least start with a bunch of your good movement abilities that you’d normally get only much later. The game’s co director has said how he was surprised by how cooking was suddenly actually something important in this mode.

More importantly though is that they just announced DLC that will act as the Final Mix upgrade for this game with new story content, secret bosses and keyblades. Great contrast to how Atlus still makes you buy a completely new game!
Release date still TBA

1 Like

i miss this game so much

Well for just a small fee you can soon get more of it!

not without a ps4 i can’t

:yikesghost:

1 Like

Spent two hours just now playing Kingdom Hearts 3 (shoutout to @doolittle for giving me his copy) and for someone whose only points of reference for Kingdom Hearts all these years were Tim’s original article and that time MC Chris ranted about Kingdom Hearts 2 on stage I… kind of like this game.

The field of view was making me a little nauseous at first but got a lot better once I started sitting closer. I watched the memory archive thing and wound up feeling like I dodged a couple bullets not playing the series up to now because condensing a this huge rpg story down into a few series of 5 minute synopses kind of lays bare how utterly nonsense it all is.

I can’t hate this though because it’s so bright and earnest and colorful, and ultimately it’s all about friendship and looking out for each other while staying positive and stuff. Those are good themes to put in your game aimed at children.

Also in addition to this being the first game in the series I’ve played I’ve also seen only maybe half of the movies that are featured so I’m going in like double blind. I’m still in the first world, Olympus, and I’m like yeah this is that Hercules movie did that have James Wood voicing Hades? This voice actor sounds like he’s doing a really good impression of James Woods what the hell was James Woods doing in a children’s movie? Maybe I should watch it while it’s still on Netflix!

I turned the battle mode to Wait so everything would slow down while I’m selecting commands because seeing it in FFVII Remake got me hype. Playing this feels like I’m running my hands over a perfectly smooth greased up orb or something it is just very pleasant and responsive. Looking forward to Toy Story world and flying around in the Gummi Ship.

2 Likes