THE POINTS OF P█CIN’ MACHINE

It’s time to see exactly how much of a champion you are, in Pacman Championship Edition ND (NES Demake (I made this up))!!!

First of all, download it here:

It’s a real NES ROM and it works on real hardware too! And Misters, I guess! Neat.

It is essentially vanilla Pacman CE. Like, your skills in that game will directly translate to this one. It’s wonderful. Also the music rules.

We’re playing Normal mode. The only quirk is that there are three “skins” to the game - you can choose which one you want by holding Left or Right when you select Normal. Or holding nothing at all. Since they’re functionally identical, I say use whichever makes you happy!

The game saves replays so if you want to share your cool Pacman replay then I think you could upload the SRM files, or maybe like record it to a video and put it on youtube or whatever.

I’ll upload my own score…tonight probably? maybe tomorrow?

14 Likes

first attempt

6 Likes

First attempt, actually beat my old high score on the first go surprisingly

i’m a big ghost hunter type i guess

4 Likes

pacman_ce_003

2 Likes

Here’s my graph. Too much slowdown in the late game. Need to route better and make fewer turns to dodge enemies.

Don’t eat ghosts in the late game unless you’re prepared for the consequences. Focus on eating as many dots as you can or else you won’t be able to get crowns in the last minute. Raising game speed is the most important factor. Eating ghosts doesn’t stop the timer–it costs way too much time to go out of your way to eat one.

pacman_ce_006
pacman_ce_004

6 Likes

I have intense anxiety and I can’t sleep properly so I’m channeling my brainpower into this

pacman_ce_008

4 Likes

decided i’d get at least 200k and i did

4 Likes

PB, I feel like I can break 500k

pacman_ce_011

5 Likes

The All Dot Diet definitely helped. Biggest thing I could have avoided was fucken dying. Also looks like I should be getting some ghosts, specifically on the waves where there are lots of power pellets.

Id on’t think I’m going to beat @slime but I’m going to try and get closer.

3 Likes

what happened at 3:15?

i died

4 Likes

it is kinda weird though, i’m almost certain i didn’t die and then fail to get any points for another 10 seconds.

1 Like

Yeah you definitely need to eat ghosts to score, I should specify that in my 489k run I only ever ate ghosts in the late game that were directly in my dot line. The graph says ghosts were the highest point source, but that’s only from intentional ghost chaining in the first minute.

From 2:45 to 3:45 I focused on fruits and those blue peaks are from ghost chains I managed to set up along the dot line. I don’t know how to actually set these up other than to improvise and time my power pellets for when a ghost spawns in the box. I consciously alter my dot route if I eat a ghost so that I save the next pellet for extending my invulnerability and hitting all four ghosts with it.

It goes without saying that no-miss is mandatory. Dying and respawning takes five seconds, a big flow breaker.

1 Like

I think it was good to see the power of only eating dots tho, I was shocked by how good the crowns are. I only got…3? I think

1 Like

did you know you can preorder kean bridge of sprites right now

i know i can hit 500k but i am not sure i’m going to keep at it because this is a legit danger game for me, i love pac-man ce so much, i can spend all day playing it, i should try and do other things sometimes, like try and find me a wife who will beat me with a wooden spoon if i she ever catches me playing video games

3 Likes

so glad nobody picked Disgaea as their high score game

3 Likes

i messed up at the end

5 Likes

Tasty 508k. Plenty of movement hiccups though, my next goal is 550k.

pacman_ce_014

5 Likes

so close to 500k hhhh

pacman_ce_004

4 Likes

yay

pacman_ce_005

6 Likes