THE PLAYSTATION 1 SOCIETY

I somehow played through most of this game in japanese for some reason

1 Like

i love doom-style strafing and vertical aiming. i think it fits perfectly for first-person RPGs, especially in KF/Shadow Tower where the combat is slow and intense

the only reason it works in king’s field and co. is because those are turn based games that, through the magic of 4 fps 1994 3d technology, were TRANSFORMED to vaguely approximate real time gameplay.

3 Likes

I want to play Jailbreaker, even though I’m guessing it’s probably bad/unplayable without some japanese fluency

Experience the true Playstation 1 launch: play Crime Crackers, a first-person real-time dungeon crawler with aspirations of being an FPS. It has it all: anime! Keycard mazes! A cryptic automap which doesn’t do a lot to actually help navigate the identical halls of each level! Awkward circle-strafing in the aiming mode! Enemies with only melee attacks who can’t enter the doorway “tile” so you can stand in a safe spot and slash/shoot away! High-resolution text! Available now!

7 Likes

ad_patty
ad_viv

28-Part032217-Part0315

3 Likes

Is this Thousand Arms, the fabled jrpg/dating sim

the first two screen shots are from AZURE DREAMS, the SICK AS FUCK konami rogue like/dating sim/city builder

2 Likes

Yeah, second set is Thousand Arms. I bought it because it was supposedly a dating sim and it was by Atlus, but I only played it for like, 20 minutes. I think I still have it somewhere.

By successfully wooing each female, her intimacy level can be slowly raised. As this level rises, it grants her the ability to imbue weapons with increasingly powerful spells and skills. This magical forging, which is possible due to Meis’ training as a Spirit Blacksmith, relies on the smith having established such positive female relationships.

2d sprites on top of 1998 3d landscapes is my favorite graphical style

7 Likes

oh shit syphon filter. those running animations were nuts.

also the soundtrack is ace.

Washington Park level is also incredibly atmospheric imho.

YES

I was so incredibly hyped to play Syphon Filter after the Five-Disc Review from the Official Playstation Magazine (it might have been 4 1/2, I dunno) and the comparisons to Metal Gear Solid and that sweet green night vision color scheme.

I rented it and played for a while, until this ONE PART, in a subway where a grenade kept exploding near enough to kill me, even though it didn’t seem very close to me at all, and I could NOT avoid it because of the JANK controls. I probably died at that point 3 or 4 times, then I quit playing and I never played it again. I was 11 or 12 years old, and allergic to JANK.

3 Likes

are you me? holy shit this is note-for-note my exact experience minus only the review from OPM (different magazine, probably GamePro)

1 Like

I’ll never remember how exactly but a very similar JANK QUIT happened with me and Syphon Filter. I got my hands on the full game per OPM’s praise too!

I finished Thousand Arms in a circa 2000 flurry of anime/jrpg decadence, so details are hazy atm but I remember feeling like I underestimated it.

1 Like

Vandal Hearts and Vanguard Bandits were both mysterious games for me back then, I never saw copies and couldn’t distinguish or even try and describe them.

I’m down to spend a couple weeks or month with whatever titles come up, then talk about it.

I’d already been super close to replaying Xenogears but…that’s quite the time taker.

I think this was the same part where I gave up as well! That subway level was kind of cramped in general. They should have got someone from outside the development team to playtest the game but that wasn’t a super common practice back then for reasons usually relating to time/budget.

1 Like

“i dunno, i think Syphon Filter just feels more fun to play than MGS” is a thing i might have said in 1999

2 Likes

I knew I wasn’t alone!

watching that video above along with my memories, I’m pretty sure that moving Gabe around feels more like riding a unicycle than being a badass stealth merc. his upper body never moves and ‘turning around’ is not something achieved easily

1 Like

@anothersphere JANK QUIT is a spicy, pipin’ hot user title waiting to happen

2 Likes