THE PLAYSTATION 1 SOCIETY

there’s a decent amount of psone games i’d love to have an excuse to play/play again, i’d love to be able to make the time to be involved somehow/help out in some way

Seems like a year or so ago people on the forum were saying “searching old game catalogs is done and over there’s no point” and now everyone wants an old game podcast

I see you

4 Likes

would it be too on the nose to just call it
“The Play Station”

for some reason in my head, this is would be the podcast that would go full MST3K and have a very loose fictional wrapper around a fun premise of playing and goofin’ on the weirdest PS1 curios.
like a group of voices stuck in a remote location (The Dual Shack) with only a gigantic pile of ps1 games to play and catalogue using a completely arbitrary ranking system:
The ISO Metric
is it Interesting?
does it feel Stable?
how is the game Overall?

i dunno its late

6 Likes

the podcast should take place in 1996 A.D.

3 Likes

That’s what I’ve been using. I thought I made it up myself but upon reflection I think I subconsciously stole it and then credited myself.

Anyway this is a great idea and I would love to listen to it. Let me know if you need podcast recording or editing tips. I’ve only lost the audio for one episode!

I’d be super interested in helping out, either as a co-player-alonger, or potentially a podcast-speakerer, and I also have audio editing experience and am happy to help out on that end too.

yall were ginna make this happen

3 Likes

here’s a couple of games i’ve been meaning to take a deep deep dive on, maybe the idea of this podcast will help facilitate that:

Tobal 2
Wu-Tang: Shaolin Style
N20 Nitrous Oxide
Twisted Metal 1
Parasite Eve
MGS: VR Missions
Intelligent Cube
Crash Team Racing
Pepsiman

not sure how obscure this might go, but it goes without saying that if there’s a Parappa/Umjammer Lammy episode, i want to be all up in there

2 Likes

I have played so many PS1 games.

PS1 era was when I first started getting money, so I naturally spent nearly 100% of my income on games for the thing

im going to be playing lots of ps1 this year anyway so y’all can just invite me over whenever you want the freshest opinions on Vagrant Story and Jumping Flash

as a teenager I played EVERY PLAYSTATION ONE GAME RELEASED IN AMERICA THAT YOUR FRIEND HAS EVER HEARD OF and in 2018 I can look back into my soul and say man those video games on that video game console sure were a lot of jank

it was a janky time, the playstation era

did YOU know that this was a system founded on THREE DIMENSIONAL GRAPHIC TECHNOLOGY that didn’t even have a controller with an analog stick available to purchase until the system had been on the market for two and a half years? this bit of historical video game trivia is responsible for exactly ninety four percent of why you remember Mario 64 fondly

2 Likes

god i love this game

8 Likes

The coolest things about the PS1 were having shapes instead of letters for the main buttons and the discs being black on the bottom. That was the shit that blew my mind when I first saw a PS1.

6 Likes

Remember how many games relied on all four shoulder buttons to navigate 3D space? Some combination of strafing/turning/camera controls.

It was really stupid how good I got at manipulating the bike in Jet Moto 2, which required all four shoulder buttons + up and down on the d-pad + grappling hook/gas/brake on the face button part of the pad. You had to master it, because the game got absurdly janky in later levels where it basically becomes a hybrid platformer and the engine cannot deal with it at all.

2 Likes

king’s field / shadow tower / armored core camera/strafe controls are god-tier fite me

not you bcoma. you can appreciate the JANK

5 Likes

the last good Resident Evil was on PS1

9 Likes

does anyone understand what’s going on in Legend of Mana? cuz I don’t, except PWETTY

Sounds like you have the hang of it then

1 Like